Let's Depreciate Sue's Workshop

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
andwhyisit said:
As for a new CS Deluxe, I've been working on that on and off, so expect that to happen sometime down the line.
Yeah considering that the Deluxe package is probably (at least) 6 years old by now it definitely deserves an update. Considering that there are some things that are pretty redundant now (it even has a link to gameflaws), as well as some discoveries (such as all of the versions of OrgView that was uploaded to DU), I'm sure that CS Deluxe needs the update.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Counted.

18 votes (including mine!) to terminate Sue's Workshop from the CS Deluxe package. No votes to keep it (Gir's probably didn't count.)

I think that says something :p

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wait, nobody uses Sue's Workshop anymore?

Have I been living under a rock for the past 2 years?

So what other editors (or is it supposed to be "editers", I keep forgetting) do you people use.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Been here way too long...
While we're in the process of doing this (if at all), could we also please get a download of simply "Cave Story with Translation Patch"? This is already technically included in CS Deluxe, but it's extremely frustrating having to download several megs worth of crap just to download the game pre-translated.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
WoodenRat said:

So what other editors (or is it supposed to be "editers", I keep forgetting) do you people use.
Cave Editor and Booster's Lab. Booster's Lab is new.
ZarroTsu said:
While we're in the process of doing this (if at all), could we also please get a download of simply "Cave Story with Translation Patch"? This is already technically included in CS Deluxe, but it's extremely frustrating having to download several megs worth of crap just to download the game pre-translated.
I believe there was already a thread brought up about this, but I can't find it. I think the consensus was that the translation patch gives traffic to the AGTP website, since they made the patch.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM
So you're opting to assure people are frustrated and don't download the game because you want the people who translated the game to get +1 to traffic.

Isn't that basically the definition of 'shooting yourself in the foot'?

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I think we should keep SW for beginners. Like when I first found out I could even mod CS it was hard.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, but bad programs build bad habits. If you start with Sue's you'll likely end with Sue's. (hint: bad)

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Tpcool said:
I believe there was already a thread brought up about this, but I can't find it. I think the consensus was that the translation patch gives traffic to the AGTP website, since they made the patch.
The thread ended in me contacting AGTP to see if it was alright to do, since it is their patch and all. I waited so long for them to get back to me (and they never did) that I eventually forgot about it all.

Gideon Zhi has had nigh on two years to reply. If he has any objections then he will have to make them after the fact. You will all get your pre-patched English translation.
ZarroTsu said:
So you're opting to assure people are frustrated and don't download the game because you want the people who translated the game to get +1 to traffic.

Isn't that basically the definition of 'shooting yourself in the foot'?
No. I was waiting for a response from the translators themselves. Considering that we've been shooting ourselves in the foot for years, I very much doubted that a few more rounds would hurt while we show some respect to the translators by giving them a choice in the matter.
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
Yeah considering that the Deluxe package is probably (at least) 6 years old by now it definitely deserves an update. Considering that there are some things that are pretty redundant now (it even has a link to gameflaws), as well as some discoveries (such as all of the versions of OrgView that was uploaded to DU), I'm sure that CS Deluxe needs the update.
CS Deluxe has been updated and the installer is half built at the expense of most of my sleeping hours. I should have it all working by tomorrow night. Keep in mind that this is an update of the existing content. If you have any suggestions on something you may want added to the package then please let me know.
WoodenRat said:

Yep. :p

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
andwhyisit said:
If you have any suggestions on something you may want added to the package then please let me know.
I do, actually.

-Cave Editor and/or Booster's Lab
-Link to cavestory.org instead of gameflaws
-OrgMaker v1.34 and v2.0.5
-Cave Story Beta OrgViews
-PiyoPiyoPlayer + PiyoPiyo Editor
-PxTone
-Other/More Stuff by Pixel
-The Ikachan without the Broken English
-Guxt
-Azarachi (translated + CS Skin)
-Die Die Galaxy (Original + CS Skin)
-Ame Manga
-100 Cats

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Professional Whatever
Don't forget Soaprun!

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:22 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
When I first saw the thread title I thought this was going to be something retarded like disallowing all mod submissions that use SW (as TASVideos did recently with Snes9x), but this isn't unreasonable. Thb I've never really paid much attention to the front page of the site and barely remembered that the Deluxe Pack even existed :chin:

On the other hand, CE is about as "stable" as a two-legged deer so it should only really be included if it still has (working) features that BL doesn't

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:30 AM
It has a straightforward weapon value editor, and a map rearranger. Also some minor startup config options.

That's all I've used it for, anyway.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
I do, actually.

-PiyoPiyoPlayer + PiyoPiyo Editor
-PxTone
-Other/More Stuff by Pixel
-Guxt
-Azarachi (translated + CS Skin)
-Die Die Galaxy (Original + CS Skin)
-Ame Manga
-100 Cats
I already did those.

I didn't want to clutter up the start menu, so I decided on v1.34, seeing as v2.0.5's new drums aren't compatible with Cave Story. Though if you guys prefer v2.0.5 to be in there then let me know.

The main beta orgview should be enough. No use in repackaging the same songs over and over again.

-Other Stuff by Pixel
Ikachan aside, lets keep it strictly Cave Story related.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Professional Whatever
I'd say it'd be good to package OM2 with a warning, maybe with a list of compatible drums and such.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:30 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
*clicks dislike for SW*
I used it once, (about a month ago) and the only thing it taught me was that backups actually ARE worth doing repeatedly.
It ruined the exe as it likes doing.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
eh, I'd keep it w/ orgmaker 134
If they want to do more with it they can find the newer version themselves.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Based Member
Honestly? Orgmaker 2 is better in every way than Orgmaker 1.34. Orgmaker 1 doesn't let you go to full screen and take advantage of your monitor's resolution, doesn't do anywhere near as good a job as Orgmaker 2 of showing which tracks are which, and is a better application all around with a lot of other minor details that simply makes it superior to Orgmaker 1.34. Literally the only disadvantage is needing to be careful about the drum tracks, which can be helped if a notice is there. Including Orgmaker 1 and not 2 would be plain silly.
Noxid said:
eh, I'd keep it w/ orgmaker 134
You yourself recommended Orgmaker 2 over its predecessor to new modders in your tutorial, and now you've changed your mind?
Noxid said:
In short, I think it's just plain silly that you all are standing by Orgmaker 1 just because there's a small thing you need to know about using the drums in Orgmaker 2.