Kazuma Knew Quote Before Cave Story?

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
So, I was playing through CS on my DS and I got to the part after I got back from Grasstown and talked to Sue, but before I went to the Sand Zone. For whatever reason I felt like talking to Kazuma, and this is what he said to me:

"You are the one from ten
years ago, aren't you.

I didn't realize it at all until
just now.

You are indeed well-made."

This could mean that maybe Kazuma was in the war, or Kazuma was on the island at the time and met Quote?

This raises so many questions. Does anybody have a theory?

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I was going to make this exact topic a bit more than a week ago.

It seems like it's a yes. Misery implies that you may have met her before as well.

But I'm like 90% sure that these implications are heavier in the Nicalis ("official") translation. The other fan-translation that's closer to the source material doesn't give the same impression.

Maybe someone else can weigh in.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
I'm pretty sure that it's refering to the war 10 years ago, and that the nicalis translation lust makes it sound like kazuma knows quote.

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:00 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
1. Quote was a scout 10 years ago
2. Nicalis' localizers were probably the same idiots who did Zero Wing

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:32 AM
1. Quote was a scout 10 years ago
2. Nicalis' localizers were probably the same idiots who did Zero Wing

On 2: I don't know, man. I've talked to a bunch of people about this and apparently Nicalis' translation is actually the one that's more accurate/close to the source material. Don't forget that Pixel himself oversaw the translation process, or at least parts of it.

The implications that Misery and Kazuma met/saw Quote before are likely to be 100% intentional, not a result of a mistranslation.

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I was going to make this exact topic a bit more than a week ago.

It seems like it's a yes. Misery implies that you may have met her before as well.

But I'm like 90% sure that these implications are heavier in the Nicalis ("official") translation. The other fan-translation that's closer to the source material doesn't give the same impression.

Maybe someone else can weigh in.

Actually the fan translation is considerably less accurate than the Nicalis translation; if you compare the two it appears neon genesis made several mistranslations, like barurogu to balrog instead of Bar King. Of course Nicalis followed suit with that in that case because that was kind of an important thing to keep (the only one they picked up on, but still).
This actually sums up my thoughts on the translations, since the Aeon Genesis translation is easier and more fun to read for me, but less accurate. Balrog's sarcasm is missing in the Nicalis translation because he wasn't actually sarcastic in the japanese script (Japan doesn't really have the concept of sarcasm).

I like Aeon Genesis' job better, but Nicalis is always the one to go to for theories and such.

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:49 AM
^ Ja, I mis-typed with my first post.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:13 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
It's possible. Though I'd like to see someone translation check the original...

If Pixel/Kazuma really meant : You are the One from ten years ago, you are indeed well made...
and not : (So,) You are one from ten years ago, you are indeed well made...

Booster did just inform everyone what Quote is... and Kazuma didn't even realize what he was...

While it makes sense about Misery making references to a robot that was a trouble-maker just like him... I'm under the impression that his appearence in some way must have changed, for Misery to not recognize Him. Unless Misery has some inability to recognize individuals at first... (Like assuming Toroko was Sue, though in her defense, she knew what Sue originally looked like, maybe after being transformed something happened to help her escape, or maybe she even altered her appearence...

Ah... wait. Maybe Misery saw Sue's pendant, which Toroko just had given to Quote. I mean that item seems like it's the most useless item... maybe its purpose is why Misery made the mistake of mistaking one furball for another.... *OUCH* who threw that rock!

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:41 AM
About Misery knowing Quote from before he lost his memory: It's canon. Here to confirm it.

I'm at school but I found this in a .txt file on my USB, I think I saved it because I wanted to discuss it here:

"He had a red cap and was more persistent than even you."

Direct quote from Misery just prior to the Omega battle, during Curly Story mode. Not implying that Curly Story itself is canon, but this excerpt from it is great for clarification.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
It is possible that they knew Quote. I mean Quote and Curly fought there I think, but later Quote lost his memories...

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:05 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This absolutely sums up my thoughts on the translations, back the Aeon Genesis adaptation is easier and added fun to apprehend for me, but beneath accurate. Balrog's acrimony is missing in the Nicalis adaptation because he wasn't absolutely acerb in the japanese calligraphy (Japan doesn't absolutely accept the abstraction of sarcasm).

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM
This absolutely sums up my thoughts on the translations, back the Aeon Genesis adaptation is easier and added fun to apprehend for me, but beneath accurate. Balrog's acrimony is missing in the Nicalis adaptation because he wasn't absolutely acerb in the japanese calligraphy (Japan doesn't absolutely accept the abstraction of sarcasm).

I have been wondering for the longest time why Balrog's "voice" was so different between translations, more so than other characters. So, basically you're saying that some level of acrimony/sarcasm was intended in the original, but it sort of got lost in the process of making a literal translation? If so, that makes perfect sense.

I possibly have a girlboner for acrimonious Balrog, possibly proving that women do indeed go for jerks.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Well, what he's saying is that the Japanese language really doesn't have sarcasm in the first place, so Balrog is rather literal in the Japanese version. This is reflected accurately in the Nicalis translation, but we were at a loss because we were so used to the sarcastic Balrog who is way better

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:52 AM
Well, what he's saying is that the Japanese language really doesn't have sarcasm in the first place, so Balrog is rather literal in the Japanese version. This is reflected accurately in the Nicalis translation, but we were at a loss because we were so used to the sarcastic Balrog who is way better

Oh, none at all? That's interesting. I wasn't aware that a certain language or culture could have zero concept of sarcasm.

Yes, this is tragic.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah, that moment when Kazuma had a 'nam flash back always made me wonder...Has he been on the island before?

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Hmm...

Very interesting.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:15 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Kazuma didn't necessarily have to know Quote personally, he could of saw him on the news, or read his Wikipedia page.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I remember something like this, but could it be kazuma is mistaking quote for another scout robot. There could have been many other robots just like quote.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:30 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
^I disagree :pignon2:
I believe that Quote and Curly where two specialty robots sent to the island.
The fact that they had amnesia only aids in my belief that they were mostly experimental robots sent before the others to scout out the island for attack. And really, how many other robots in the game are there that have hats?

EDIT: Gah I'll just link to it instead
http://i50.tinypic.com/5vc02.jpg

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Kazuma could just have really poor eyesight. I mean he never opens his eyes, how is he supposed to be able to tell who Quote is?