Kaeso's Mod (unfinished)

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:07 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
http://files.filefront.com/Kaesos+modzip/;11341970

First of all i'd like to thank Metalogz for teaching me to make mods.

Now, it's unfinished but you should atleast get 2 hours of fun.. at least. I know the main character facepic looks crap.. it turned like that after i had to make it fit. It looks pretty good full size.

It is hard but its not impossible I tested it myself, and I still haven't picked a name. Enjoy :D

EDIT- If you downloaded it before download it again please >.> I forgot to set the start position before I released it. And be sure to start a new game or you miss out on the cool opening. I don't know how to make it start on a new game only.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Gratz on your very first released demo!

*downloads*

(incase I missed anything out in the previous betea demos >_>)

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:17 PM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
Awww. I want to learn to mod :mad:. Besides it might help me with what I want to do as a career

Edit

Hmm interesting start. havn a little trouble with outer wall right now though.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:29 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I am umimpressed.

-Fanwank main character.
-Crappy writing that worships said fanwank character.
-Pretty bad level design.
-Doesn't stand up to the quality standards set by other mods such as Jenka's Nightmare and Eternal Nightmare.
-Glitchy. Upon going through the entrance way created after the first boss, you get to one room and then you're suddenly teleported to another one out of nowhere.

Thumbs down.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:42 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well this is interesting, I've been wondering when a mod detailing this like this would show up. Also salutations for the first mod release in like a month or two >_>

Anyways *cracks knuckles* haven't doesn't one of these for a while...
-I question your choices of music early on, the Plantation theme sounds kind of out of place...
-Solidus' facepic is kind of blurry
-Quote kind of shuffles when he walks, probably due to an off-centre sprite
-Your sprite edits could use a bit of work, but obviously this is just a first release, so whatever...
-After leaving the screen for the first boss fight, the <TRA function messes up and sends me to the Innerwall Crevice rather than the beginning of Innerwall

I'm gonna stop there coz that's a fairly big bug, but it shouldn't be too hard to fix. I'm aware this is your first mod and only the first release, but I think you should flesh out the beginning more (i.e. a couple more maps before reaching Miakid) and provide some mystery as to Solidus' relationship with Quote and Curly. Otherwise I like the idea.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:19 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Kageryushin said:
I am umimpressed.

Thumbs down.

OMG KAESO DO NOT TAKE TO HEART THIS GUY'S NEGATIVE COMMENTS! THIS GUY'S A NATURAL FLAMER!!!

But his mod analysis doesn't seem so bad so... just read this part:

Kageryushin said:
-Fanwank main character.
-Crappy writing that worships said fanwank character.
-Pretty bad level design.
-Doesn't stand up to the quality standards set by other mods such as Jenka's Nightmare and Eternal Nightmare.
-Glitchy. Upon going through the entrance way created after the first boss, you get to one room and then you're suddenly teleported to another one out of nowhere.

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:00 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
OMG KAESO DO NOT TAKE TO HEART THIS GUY'S NEGATIVE COMMENTS! THIS GUY'S A NATURAL FLAMER!!!
But-but but...

KAGE IS THE MAN
---
Also, I seem to be the only one who can't download it, guess I'll ask Canneth to send it to me.

Edit - His internet not working, but he can use MSN, strangely enough. So can anyone upload it on sendspace or something.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:20 PM
OK Im sorry about that bug there was a huge error later on too that prevents you from going forward but i fixed it all really sorry about that heres a new download link: http://files.filefront.com/Kaesos+modzip/;11341970

Give me another chance.

Haha it would be a cold day in hell before I let criticism from a kid who has WAAY too much time on his hands bother me. Anyone elses criticism i'd listen to though.

-I question your choices of music early on, the Plantation theme sounds kind of out of place...

I didn't use the plantation theme at all o.o
Do you mean the doctors theme?

Try not to drown it screws everything up I don't know how to make the character drown properly yet.

Dont forget: NEW GAME

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:39 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I tried your mod out, and I love it!

The sprites are beautifully made, but The doct's edit wasn't that great IMO.

But the game's events were fairly neat (the opening was fabulous) and I hope to see more come out of this!

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:56 AM
Kaeso said:
Haha it would be a cold day in hell before I let criticism from a kid who has WAAY too much time on his hands bother me. Anyone elses criticism i'd listen to though.

OMG YOUR GAME SUCKS SO MUCH BECAUSE IT ROCKS xD.... Wait I don't think that would be considered criticism...

OOooooo A beginning... Don't you think she would have a gun with her at the start? I will add more feedback later when I get the chance to play it :p

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:21 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Kaeso said:
I didn't use the plantation theme at all o.o
Do you mean the doctors theme?
No no no I mean the Plantation theme. It plays quite clearly in the prefab building and then in the Innerwall Crevice. I think maybe you input the wrong music number instead of 'Safety', you may want to test it.

Kaeso said:
Try not to drown it screws everything up I don't know how to make the character drown properly yet.
Um... isn't drowning automatic? I can't remember if you need to put in an event for it or not because the act of drowning is not itself linked to any one map in particular -_-;

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:30 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
I didnt get far (played the game for 2 minutes)
But you really should fix those face pics ^^;

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:22 AM
Justin-chan
You don't have to make the character drown, it's automatic.

Edit - Upload somewhere else pls, I can't download from that site

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:29 AM
No no no I mean the Plantation theme. It plays quite clearly in the prefab building and then in the Innerwall Crevice. I think maybe you input the wrong music number instead of 'Safety', you may want to test it.

Ok I think you mean Yamashita farm music, I actually wanted the balcony theme for all save rooms because it sounds like a "Safety zone" music but some how I put Yamashita farm instead it will be changed though

Um... isn't drowning automatic? I can't remember if you need to put in an event for it or not because the act of drowning is not itself linked to any one map in particular -_-;

Thats what I thought O.O I'll get around to it eventually.

OOooooo A beginning... Don't you think she would have a gun with her at the start? I will add more feedback later when I get the chance to play it

Haha i'll add a bit in the opening scene explaining that soon. BTW its a guy :o

I tried your mod out, and I love it!

The sprites are beautifully made, but The doct's edit wasn't that great IMO.

But the game's events were fairly neat (the opening was fabulous) and I hope to see more come out of this!

Thanks that kind of feedback inspires me :p I'm no artist but i'll try to make the miakid sprite look better.

I didnt get far (played the game for 2 minutes)
But you really should fix those face pics ^^;

I used an online facemaker program for that maybe someone could suggest a better one?

I'd like to know what you all think of my masterpiece map: The Bridge when you get up to it.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:19 AM
Justin-chan
I can't fight against Monster X with my level 1 Fireball, level 2 Missle Launcher and level 1 Polar Star (Damn Gaudis weakening me) ):

Not as hard as Jenka's Nightmare, but still hard for someone of my level.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:43 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Kaeso said:
Ok I think you mean Yamashita farm music, I actually wanted the balcony theme for all save rooms because it sounds like a "Safety zone" music but some how I put Yamashita farm instead it will be changed though
BAH, of course, I meant the Farm music x_X Well technically the farm is still a plantation, HA! But yeah, glad you got what I meant >_>

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM
I can't fight against Monster X with my level 1 Fireball, level 2 Missle Launcher and level 1 Polar Star (Damn Gaudis weakening me) ):

Heh the trick is to get your weapons to level 3 before you try to tackle the hard part. You'll need all 3 of them.. I was thinking about adding a life capsule somewhere before it.. I only succeed 1/7 times.

Not as hard as Jenka's Nightmare, but still hard for someone of my level.

>.< well it will be soon. :p

Anyway heres an update:

I fixed the error when miakid laughs, the music in save rooms has been changed to balcony, I changed the colouring in the Igor edit and Miakid a bit and I made the main character facepic look slightly better.

There might be a bug right at the end of the last map because I tried to do something involving triggers and those exploding gas clouds from eggx and I haven't tested it yet.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:41 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
The drowning event is in the universal "head" script, that loads for every map; just like saving, health refill, dying, and falling off the map events.

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Hey, Kaeso! Glad to see you've returned.

Nice job with the mod so far, I made it to the end twice now... On the same file (I'll explain how that happened further down...)

What I noticed before I even stated playing was the file size of the main folder's files (Excluding the subfolders)- 6.66 MB? Of course, this really has to relevance to the mod itself, so I may edit this later to counter this tiny little bit of spam...

If I sound like a complete jerk for overexaggerating some of the bugs & such ahead, forgive me...

Onto the actual playthrough... Neat little intro cutscene, yet also familiar, since I played the really early version of this mod on a different thread.

Since Solidus couldn't enter the door to Final Cave, there was no choice but to head for the Throne Room. The 1st boss isn't too hard, especially if you use this cheap tactic...

Inner wall wasn't too bad, either, aside from the instant death spikes on the bottom part... One of them above the exit even hovers in midair!

By killing the first enraged Mimiga then reading a sign, the entire area has been cleared of any Mimigas & broken robots except for whatever may be inside those doors. (It seems a script event that wasn't existant for that map was trying to be called, so instead it skipped ahead until it found a script to use.)

While in Mimiga Village, I noticed a door that's open, but it's still considered locked...

I noticed an oddly out of place darkness square above the entrance to the Gaudi tunnel in Mimiga Village, though it might be for something I don't know about later on...

I like how the exterior of the buildings in the Gaudi City were made.

I noticed a nice little easter egg in the SkyScraper, too...

Kaeso said:
I'd like to know what you all think of my masterpiece map: The Bridge when you get up to it.
The bridge? Too many -10 spikes for my liking... If some of them were altered to the -5 variant, it might be okay...

The battle with Monster X was rather challenging, but not as much as avoiding death from all those spikes, Gaudi, & Buyobuyo along the way...

Speaking of spikes, I noticed an invisible spiketrap (It's in the circle in the pic) that was rather unexpected and, perhaps, even accidental...

Another spike overload occurance is at the topmost part of Burning Sands... (On a side note, by the time I got here, I only had 12 health at maximum, while the save you initially included in the folder had more than that... Did I miss some Life Capsules along the way?) By the way, it's possible to squeeze right underneath some of the blocks nearby the slopes.

A lot of the doorways in the door maze of Burning Sands aren't connected properly, though this could've been done on purpose...

Upon Entering Robot Graveyard 1, Solidus can't be seen during the cutscene, but after it's finished, he pops up out of nowhere... At first, I figured he'd drop down from above for something, but I guess I'll have to see the actual result in a later release...

Some of the Basils in Robot Graveyard 2 are a pain to get by, especially when they can go through certain walls while you can't... The zigzag jump part can be very unforgiving...

The Mechanical Dragons in Robot Graveyard 3 are a rather clever twist on the original Dragon Zombies. They shoot out sparks of energy instead of fire, which is an interesting change... (This in turn leads me to wonder if the Dragon Sister bosses are going to be mechanical, too...) However, the 3rd one from the start of RG3 can shoot THROUGH the wall and hit you if you stand next to the barrier. As long as the player doesn't stand that close, though, there shouldn't be any problems...

In the area with the battle against Curly, the entrance leads back to the Throne Room, which explains how I played through a 2nd time.

Using what I mentioned above, I got the Machine Gun to Lv.3 and went all the way up to the top, only to come upon another missing event script for entering the clouds. Instead of resetting the map, though, it triggered the 1st boss battle's script (Kind of odd, considering how that's not even in this area), minus the boss itself.

I figured since it was possible to return to the Throne Room, that teleporter in the Gaudi City would've activated... Naturally, my theory was proven wrong.

Overall, it's quite fun, but some parts can be a little... Extreme, at times. Regardless of that, though, I like it.

(One last thing before I finish my post- I wonder if it's possible to die from a Basil that spawns right on the same horizontal line as the save point in RG2? I never actually bothered to check it in both of my runs...)

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:06 AM
Bad Beholder said:
I noticed a nice little easter egg in the SkyScraper, too...

LOL. I like that Easter egg :p

Wait "He" is a "She"! The sprite looks like a girl and so does the pic to me... I still don't see it xP, oh well.