Jenn's Journey - Complete

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hmm .. is it really the end? (at the time of jenn carrying saki) whether there will be a sequel? your mod is really cool.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
JonSpider said:
There is actually just one ending in this version of the game. Though, I did have an extra ending in mind. Might just make if hidden though.
you mean I went and didn't use the gun (except for the boss) for nothing?
SuperAR said:
hmm .. is it really the end? (at the time of jenn carrying saki) whether there will be a sequel? your mod is really cool.
if you read the thread you'll see that he was planning on making it much longer, but he didn't have the motivation, so he just wrapped up the first chapter.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:57 PM
LSD
"..."
Bit late to the party but I absolutely adored the mod. Everything you've done with the music, graphics, tiles, I thought was masterful. It short and sweet and I loved every moment of it. There were a few instances where the facepics kind of flipped in and out a bit randomly, but I was easily able to overlook it. Overall, it was a delightful mod to play through.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:13 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Alright, a lot of people are telling you this mod is fantastic. It's not all it cracked up to be. No offense. But here's why:

The tiling is not as good as it could be. There are a lot of missing "decorative" factors, like the little pebbles on the sides of PrtCave walls.

The scripting with messages is slightly off. You'll see a flash of the previous text/face image on occasion.

It's incredibly short, most disappointingly so.

Finally, your grammar, punctuation, and syntax are off in certain places.

Other than that, however, this game brought on a great/terrible case of the feels. With a little perfecting this (mini)mod could be absolutely perfect.

EDIT:
One more thing. The part I liked most about this mod is the music. Interestingly enough, you didn't even write the music.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, your criticism very sharp and could dishearten others.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
duncathan said:
no need to be an ass, man
you can give the guy criticism all you want, but there's a better way to do it
Forget that, can we just take a moment to appreciate the inconsistency of the post in general?
SuperJaws100 said:
Alright, a lot of people are telling you this mod is fantastic. It's not all it cracked up to be. No offense...
...this (mini)mod could be absolutely perfect.
"This mod isn't great." "It's just a few fixes away from being perfect"

Make up your mind.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
JonSpider said:
There is actually just one ending in this version of the game. Though, I did have an extra ending in mind. Might just make if hidden though.
Wait so whether or not you choose to use the gun doesn't change the ending?

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Yinga said:
Wait so whether or not you choose to use the gun doesn't change the ending?
Technically all it does is change which path you take (and thus adds extra enemies, obstacles, and a slightly different look compared to the path that doesn't have the gun used). I am considering making the gun a method of getting the secret ending if I add it, as consolation.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:35 AM
duncathan said:
no need to be an ass, man
you can give the guy criticism all you want, but there's a better way to do it
Well, I got interested because of all the hype this mod caused, and then I played it and was wondering what made it so special.

And I said it COULD be perfect with a lot of major changes. And I never said it was TERRIBLE either, I said it wasn't the stupendously amazing beyond-all-else mod it could be. And I wasn't being an ass, I stated the problems directly and concisely. What would be the better way to do it? Dance around the problems to avoid offending someone? That's unproductive.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:48 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
SuperJaws100 said:
What would be the better way to do it? Dance around the problems to avoid offending someone? That's unproductive.
You could state what errors there are with tact and grace. Hyping yourself up is an issue with your expectations and not with the mod. While you did get the points that you needed to across, your wording was unnecessarily negative and came across as condescending, in my opinion. I'd say that has nothing to do with being productive.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:07 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
SuperJaws100 said:
And I wasn't being an ass, I stated the problems directly and concisely.
Starting a review with "I don't see why people are saying this mod is fantastic" is kind of being an ass, especially since that sentences basically implies "it sucks" since clearly you are of the opinion that it hasn't earned its hype. It comes off as a bit jealous, even.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:17 AM
Professional Whatever
"Everyone who says this is a great game is wrong, here's why"
"I enjoyed your mod but I feel it could be improved, here's how"

Which would give you a more positive response from the person you're giving criticism to?

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:50 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hmm... The character in this game is REALLY cool. Are you edit it with paint?

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:17 AM
"Huzzah!"
Here's a thought:
If you did a little bit of experimentation with the ArmsItem global script, you could create this sort of system that allows you to holster/draw your weapon. Doing so would trigger certain flags, which could change the course of the game's plot. So rather than choosing your path only when given the yes/no prompt (I.E. when Jenn's questioning whether or not she should use her gun), the choice is right there for pretty much the entire game. And if you feel uncertain about the choice you made, you could change it anytime. I feel this would add a little bit more weight when witnessing the consequences of your actions because the player is making the choice on their own accord, rather than making the choice when the game allows them to do so. (of course, this applies strictly to weapons, the game's plot isn't determined by this system alone).

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Starting a review with "I don't see why people are saying this mod is fantastic" is kind of being an ass, especially since that sentences basically implies "it sucks" since clearly you are of the opinion that it hasn't earned its hype. It comes off as a bit jealous, even.
Well my apologies, then. I am typically used to talking with people who prefer harsh criticism, and I suppose that is not the case with everybody. I will try to word things better from now on.

Additionally, I am not jealous. I have no reason to be. I personally do not believe I have made/completed anything immensely worthwhile yet.

In regards to "earning" its hype, the original demo was so incredibly short, and the bridge between the original demo and the "completion" of the mod was so immensely long I'm surprised people even thought it was being continued, never mind got hyped up about it.

Also, the fact that the user himself says he cut the mod off so shortly because he had "lost interest" after only such a short amount of time leads me to believe that the mistakes he made in the end were simply overlooked and ignored. ESPECIALLY since in the end credits it says he had the mod beta'd.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
SuperJaws100 said:
he had "lost interest" after only such a short amount of time
>In development since 2012

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:50 PM
War criminal
SuperJaws100 said:
in the end credits it says he had the mod beta'd.
Mods and games can be beta'd even when they aren't fully complete. There's evidence of that happening on vanilla Cave Story itself in the TSC files.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
SuperJaws100 said:
Well my apologies, then. I am typically used to talking with people who prefer harsh criticism, and I suppose that is not the case with everybody. I will try to word things better from now on.

Additionally, I am not jealous. I have no reason to be. I personally do not believe I have made/completed anything immensely worthwhile yet.

In regards to "earning" its hype, the original demo was so incredibly short, and the bridge between the original demo and the "completion" of the mod was so immensely long I'm surprised people even thought it was being continued, never mind got hyped up about it.

Also, the fact that the user himself says he cut the mod off so shortly because he had "lost interest" after only such a short amount of time leads me to believe that the mistakes he made in the end were simply overlooked and ignored. ESPECIALLY since in the end credits it says he had the mod beta'd.
Now, personally I didn't see anything too harsh when it came to your criticism (probably because I didn't notice how insulting it could potentially be in the eyes of others, looking at the responses and all), but at this point there are some flaws in what you're saying now that I need to point out.

The original demo of the revamp (Released on October 2014) could be considered short, yeah, but to be honest, I felt like I rushed the release of that demo. At that point, I decided that before making any new content at all, I wanted to fix most of the script errors and aesthetic stuff in that demo. Though, I'll admit, I'm surprised I didn't notice, nor anyone else pointed out, that an entire wall in the first level had no texture in the almost 7 months it took me to finish the Mod.

Later on that month of the demo's release, I made a post telling everyone that production on what I thought would be the next demo would end up slowing down due to stuff going on at the time.

Though, 5 days later after that post, I did make a teaser implying lots of cool stuff, which would generate some hype and speculation during the slow development of the demo.

So, for the last part, I have to make this clear - I didn't lose interest in making Jenn. I just felt like I wouldn't be able to make the full product I imagined without losing productivity or taking eons. I think the quality would've declined If I ended up rushing things again. That and maybe the game I had in mind might not fit in CS without cutting things out or lowering the quality.

Also uh, the original mod was first announced on 11 November 2012. The original mod floundered about and went through a lot of aesthetic refinements and other stuff, before I thought "This isn't going to work out well with the new stuff I have in mind" and I just scrapped and retooled everything. In 30 August 2014. It took 22 months before I reached that conclusion. I finished the revamped mod on March 6, 2015. That took 7 months. Not sure if almost 2.4 years before completing this thing is considered short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 10, 2015 at 8:10 PM
JonSpider said:
Now, personally I didn't see anything too harsh when it came to your criticism (probably because I didn't notice how insulting it could potentially be in the eyes of others, looking at the responses and all), but at this point there are some flaws in what you're saying now that I need to point out.

The original demo of the revamp (Released on October 2014) could be considered short, yeah, but to be honest, I felt like I rushed the release of that demo. At that point, I decided that before making any new content at all, I wanted to fix most of the script errors and aesthetic stuff in that demo. Though, I'll admit, I'm surprised I didn't notice, nor anyone else pointed out, that an entire wall in the first level had no texture in the almost 7 months it took me to finish the Mod.

Later on that month of the demo's release, I made a post telling everyone that production on what I thought would be the next demo would end up slowing down due to stuff going on at the time.

Though, 5 days later after that post, I did make a teaser implying lots of cool stuff, which would generate some hype and speculation during the slow development of the demo.

So, for the last part, I have to make this clear - I didn't lose interest in making Jenn. I just felt like I wouldn't be able to make the full product I imagined without losing productivity or taking eons. I think the quality would've declined If I ended up rushing things again. That and maybe the game I had in mind might not fit in CS without cutting things out or lowering the quality.

Also uh, the original mod was first announced on 11 November 2012. The original mod floundered about and went through a lot of aesthetic refinements and other stuff, before I thought "This isn't going to work out well with the new stuff I have in mind" and I just scrapped and retooled everything. In 30 August 2014. It took 22 months before I reached that conclusion. I finished the revamped mod on March 6, 2015. That took 7 months. Not sure if almost 2.4 years before completing this thing is considered short.
How did I completely miss those two posts? I looked through all the old posts related to Jenn's Journey (or so I thought).

Fair point, Jon. 7

You're welcome for that red text there. I'm surprised as well. We all miss things. I realized in my own modding that an entire upper section of a map was missing...

Last edited by a moderator: