Jenka's Puppies (and Balrog).

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I'm not really sure if this is a "theory" discussion so much as it is a clarification discussion but...

When you bring the fifth puppy to Jenka, Balrog is there but the four other puppies aren't. I thought this was just a simple case of the puppies being elsewhere (as houses in games are usually implied to be bigger than actually shown, etc) because they needed room for Balrog's sprite and it would have looked crowded otherwise. But apparently, reading around, I noticed a lot of people interpreting that as Balrog had killed off the other puppies.

So what's up for discussion: Did Balrog intentionally (or unintentionally I suppose, by breaking in through the ceiling) kill Jenka's puppies...?

EDIT: Jenka's reaction doesn't lead me to believe they were killed, but she's seen with a new litter in the end-game credits, right? But if she only had one left, that shouldn't be possible...? Ah, whatever, my head hurts.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I always did find that part confusing, but as you say if Blargo killed all the other doggies there wouldn't be any left for the credit scene

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Based Member
I always thought that they weren't killed, but merely went somewhere else within the house. To back this up, it is possible to get the puppy that stayed with Curly first, making that one of the puppies that disappears later. But then that same puppy shows up at the Plantation to give you another life capsule and life pot if you don't have one. Meaning that that puppy couldn't possibly have been killed. Now this isn't backed up anymore to the same extent if you do the puppy that was staying with Curly last, but you can probably assume that the same actions took place in Jenka's house regardless of which puppy you took aside from the fact that it's a different combination of puppies. I don't think they were killed.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Professional Whatever
They could have had babies in the ten minutes you left the house, which ran off to go adventuring, then Barlog killed all but one of the original puppies, then the new ones grew and boom credits.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The door's open, maybe the dogs sometimes chill outside.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Booster helped Jenka clone the puppy~

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:42 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
They might've ran away. AGAIN.

Jenka's house is pretty small, I don't see 4 puppies the size of quote's head hiding behind a couple of small pots.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Balrog doesn't really sounds like someone who goes around killing for fun.
Well of course he tried to kill Quote but he already said that was the Doctor's order, even though he sounded enthusiastic about it, I still think he won't kill if he can help it, or else all the resisting mimigas in the village would have all been dead by now.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well of course he tried to kill Quote but he already said that was the Doctor's order, even though he sounded enthusiastic about it, I still think he won't kill if he can help it, or else all the resisting mimigas in the village would have all been dead by now.

Perhaps the doctor ordered him to kill all but one dog to get the key from Jenka.

If you don't give me the key, then your last puppy is dead!

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I always thought that they weren't killed, but merely went somewhere else within the house. To back this up, it is possible to get the puppy that stayed with Curly first, making that one of the puppies that disappears later. But then that same puppy shows up at the Plantation to give you another life capsule and life pot if you don't have one. Meaning that that puppy couldn't possibly have been killed. Now this isn't backed up anymore to the same extent if you do the puppy that was staying with Curly last, but you can probably assume that the same actions took place in Jenka's house regardless of which puppy you took aside from the fact that it's a different combination of puppies. I don't think they were killed.

Oh wow, nice catch. Very observant of you. I think this just might be a case closed.

Yeah, I definitely don't perceive Balrog as that type either and I agree with your assessment.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Indie game enthusiast
@HaydenStudios
How do you know that the talking puppy who tells Quote to say hi to Curly for him, is Hajime? I mean I assumed that as well... But...
All the puppies probably knew Curly.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Based Member
Aug 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Professional Whatever
Aug 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Indie game enthusiast
>< the forum's playing tricks on me

EDIT:
Basically what MagicDoors said... Depending on how long Curly and the Korons have been living there, I would imagine they would at some point have met each other... Unless the puppies don't come home for meals D:

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Based Member
Well darn. I guess I can't really prove that the puppy in the Plantation is Hajime. It's greatly implied due to the fact that he says to say hi to Curly having recently met her, but with the other puppies knowing her that does not completely rule out the possibility that that was some other puppy, I. E. which ever single one remains after Balrog robs Jenka. I guess the only other thing I can say to try to defend the idea that it's Hajime at the Plantation is that since he's the leader of the puppies, Jenka trusted him the most to be able to carry out the duty of delivering the life capsule (and maybe life pot) to Quote. That's the best I can do though.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
But think of it this way:
The puppies are lost, correct? They may have been away for a fair bit of time, likely since before CS started. The puppies most likely stayed in the same general areas while they were lost.
After all, the places you find each puppy corresponds with their personality, except for Hajime. The one in the Dark Place likes dark places, the one in the chest - the only treasure chest in the Sand Zone, iirc - loves chests, the one racing along the bottom of the Sand Zone is hiding and trying to find its bones, and the one near the Storehouse's dreams can foretell the future. Perhaps she was there because she sensed the deaths of Toroko and King, and the opening of the Warehouse?
This indicates that they wouldn't leave their respective areas very often, therefore it would make sense that Hajime would ask you to say hi to Curly, as he'd known her for a while.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Well, probably they went to the same place they were at when Balrog came. They probably only shown themselves to Quote at that time just to help him get the key (which they failed horribly) and then after that Quote can no longer find them because they're brooding in their lair contemplating why the fuck a megawitch can't fend off a robot soapbar. All except the last puppy you get, of course.