Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:25 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
dark frost said:
hey, can i use life pot in the secret boss rush??
otherwise if you can give me the tips or video??
my trouble againts gaudska teers
The leftmost one is always the one you can attack first. After that, just figure out which one can be hurt and go berserk. You can attack their shots.

Molten said:
Ah. I read Zarro saying there are only two endings. Assuming that's correct, I guess you get some sort of power up or item, then...

No, I didn't hear that line. I just thought the
Just leave me alone. I don't want to see your face here ever again, do you hear me!?
might mean I couldn't get it, but it makes sense since you saved him.

By the way, do you know that you can skip getting Booster's key to the rockets, if you get the Machine Gun? You can't do any meaningful sequence-breaking that way, but after all the secrets I kinda expected a secret or differnet dialog for that. :p
That's a little too nitpicky a situation for special dialogue.

Molten said:
I encountered another bug way back. Seemingly at any point after you finish the Labyrinth, you can return to the Sand Zone and take the Labyrinth teleporter again. Then if you keep on like you have the first time, the same scene will play again.
Balrog will be in the boulder room again with you. I think the boulder is already at the moved position blocking the door, and talking to Balrog gets you both swept again as before. May or may not have to do with getting the secret room nearby, I don't remember.
That's... Bizarre.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
> That's a little too nitpicky a situation for special dialogue.

Shouldn't Booster or one of the others exclaim surprise you already got to the Observatory without paying them a visit and taking the key? Zarro already added changed dialog when you do things differently.

> That's... Bizarre.

Seems just a natural thing to happen if you forget to explicitly implement anything that prevents the scene, and not many people were "bored enough" to go all the way there again like me.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The bizarre thing is I did explicitly implement something to prevent the scene.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
what max super missile in the jenkas nightmare?? and what i can do to increase the super missile max capacity
whether enhancer max basic missile can add super missile capacity?

I have completed this game, but i can't complete the boss rush

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:20 PM
Maximum is 30, excluding NG+ capsules.

You can only collect ammo with the regular missile launcher*, up to 90. When you trade with Dr. Gero, however many missiles you have is reduced to 1/3 that value.

*You can open the missile NG+ capsules regardless of which launcher you have, and they will yield ammo. High numbers for the regular launcher (9 or 30), low, but relative numbers for the super missiles (3 or 10).

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:23 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah. I can offer my saves for all the discussed scenarios if needed, and if it matters, it's all before 3.0.0.2.
Could those bugs be caused by an odd save being used to start NG+? Having lost my own save, I used one downloaded from this site ( http://www.cavestory.org/saves/02-046.zip ) with the same weapons I had. Maybe it has been tampered with?
While on that, could I fix my Nemesis with a save editor? Maybe there are multiple versions of it in the mod (mine doesn't say Mjolnir or have a different desc, though) and I could just switch one for the other?

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:04 PM
I need to do an update to address the Nemesis issue, so feel free to just save-edit it back to infinite ammo.

When I do update, previous save files will work fine, but the fix won't affect what you actually have.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:48 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Molten said:
> That's a little too nitpicky a situation for special dialogue.

Shouldn't Booster or one of the others exclaim surprise you already got to the Observatory without paying them a visit and taking the key? Zarro already added changed dialog when you do things differently.

Actually you're right, although it isn't the end of the world.

Btw I think the maximum with NG+ capsules (regular missile capsule) is 39 missiles.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM
I'm fairly certain 120 divided by 3 is 40.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:06 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
I'm fairly certain 120 divided by 3 is 40.
But when I upgraded the missiles (with 120 ammo) I got 39 Super Missiles.

A little thing that bugged me, I liked the whole easter egg with

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

The alternate music playing when I fought Tristitia with the Pointed glasses

But the fact is that I sort of would prefer if there were an option to take them off. The added functionality in the 3.X whatever versions is fun, but what if I just want to play without them on or fight the final boss normally? I would appreciate it if there was an option to take them off in the next patch.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hey! I just finished the game about half an hour ago, and had to come post something.

I played MagicDoors attempt at completing it several years ago. It was alright, but I had misgivings with the ending. I always hoped that someone would come up with a better version of it. I've been playing Cave Story+ and finished getting all the achievements last week, so I wanted to play Jenka's Nightmare again and see if it still held up. I was very surprised to find that someone had remade the whole game! So I've been playing the remake this week, and I was blown away by how much better it is. Honestly, what with all the secrets, the NG+ stuff,

the Super Secret Room and its incredibly hard Boss Rush and ridiculously cool reward,

and the general high quality of everything in the game, I think I enjoyed it more than Cave Story.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the work you put in making this amazing mod.

Although...

Mistress Nemesis said:
A little thing that bugged me, I liked the whole easter egg with

The alternate music playing when I fought Tristitia with the Pointed glasses

But the fact is that I sort of would prefer if there were an option to take them off. The added functionality in the 3.X whatever versions is fun, but what if I just want to play without them on or fight the final boss normally? I would appreciate it if there was an option to take them off in the next patch.
I do have to agree with this guy about the easter egg. I mean, I suppose I could play through the whole game again (and I probably will soon) without getting that secret, but it would be nice if that could be toggled so I can enjoy the ending without it.

(Even if it was the coolest easter egg I can remember seeing in a long time.)

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:19 AM
Update 3.0.0.3

- Fixed the chest in Grasstown Tower mysteriously vanishing if you saved in the building
- Fixed the bizarre happenings with Balrog's events replaying in SandZone (It was using a flag that is never triggered if you ignore Monster X until you have the Critter Juice. Whoops!)
- Nemesis gives correct ammo back on 2nd pickup
- Pointed Glasses can now be equipped or removed at any time.

Also I can't seem to find any reason why the missiles would give only 39 ammo. I double checked everything and unless you were using an earlier version, I'm really confused.

Edit: Redownload it if you grabbed it during the first 10 minutes. For, uh, reasons.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:24 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Update 3.0.0.3

- Fixed the chest in Grasstown Tower mysteriously vanishing if you saved in the building
- Fixed the bizarre happenings with Balrog's events replaying in SandZone (It was using a flag that is never triggered if you ignore Monster X until you have the Critter Juice. Whoops!)
- Nemesis gives correct ammo back on 2nd pickup
- Pointed Glasses can now be equipped or removed at any time.

Also I can't seem to find any reason why the missiles would give only 39 ammo. I double checked everything and unless you were using an earlier version, I'm really confused.

Edit: Redownload it if you grabbed it during the first 10 minutes. For, uh, reasons.
I'm gonna play through it again over the next week or so, so we'll see how it goes. I do appreciate those changes, and perhaps I derped out. I'm gonna pay extra attention to everything. If you'd like, I can document my progress.

I'm not gold digging or anything but I'm hoping that the more I help maybe I can be in the special thanks in the credits lol. I can dream can't I?

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:33 AM
So something comes to mind that I probably should have done eons ago, and I'm unsure if I should just let it go or do it in spite of wanting to leave well enough alone.

I noticed while watching one of the Let's Plays and through some comments on YouTube that players found the difficulty a bit wonky, specifically around Sand Zone and Labyrinth, because they missed the Blade. As someone who has had a lot of practice using the Fireball effectively, I found it more of a challenge than difficult, but I failed to rationalize that the Blade isn't "optional" it's "missable". (I kind of wish I'd gotten feedback on this, since I can't remember anyone ever having brought it up)

So what comes to mind is simply this: Should I thin out the thicker groups of enemies in Sand Zone and Labyrinth if you did not pick up the Blade?

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:18 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
So something comes to mind that I probably should have done eons ago, and I'm unsure if I should just let it go or do it in spite of wanting to leave well enough alone.

I noticed while watching one of the Let's Plays and through some comments on YouTube that players found the difficulty a bit wonky, specifically around Sand Zone and Labyrinth, because they missed the Blade. As someone who has had a lot of practice using the Fireball effectively, I found it more of a challenge than difficult, but I failed to rationalize that the Blade isn't "optional" it's "missable". (I kind of wish I'd gotten feedback on this, since I can't remember anyone ever having brought it up)

So what comes to mind is simply this: Should I thin out the thicker groups of enemies in Sand Zone and Labyrinth if you did not pick up the Blade?
I'm assuming such a thing is possible, since not only did you thicken the enemies in the First Cave when you get the Spur, but Pixel did it in the original game. So, I'm assuming the reverse is possible. Given how the Blade is a weapon you can get any time and can never lose, much like the Spur, I'd say that you may as well thin them out. I've never missed it, but I do agree that things can get hectic. Even with the Blade, the "Misery" Teleporter path, for example, is absolutely nuts. The only other option would be to make the Sanctuary area mandatory, but that would defeat its purpose. If you can possibly code so that there is less resistance in those areas, I suppose it should be so.

Alternatively, you could put in a sign or something along the lines of "What lies on this path will test your skills. It may be hard, but the reward will help you ahead." This would make the Blade "optional" however so it's up to you... Personally, I think it's fine as is but I've been playing Cave Story for over 10 years.

Anyway, here's my progress on my run.

Started from save-edited profile for NG
Weapons:
Polar Star
Missile Launcher (30 ammo)
Snake
Machine Gun
Bubbler
Inventory: Unedited. Normal 100% fare, save for keeping the Little Man
No Life Capsules found
STARTED JN
FIRST CAVE AREA:
Collected Snake, all available Life Capsules, Polar Star, and found Secret Room 1. The Gunsmith was distrusting.
CURRENT AMMO: 20
MIMIGA VILLAGE AREA:
Collected all possible items. Map system chest was empty due to my having it already. Found Secret Room 2
CURRENT AMMO:
Snake: 30

That's all for now.

EDIT: Made a little progress.

PIPEWORKS AREA:
Collected everything except for the Bubbler chest. Beat Sue's Nightmare and advanced the plot to right before entering Grasstown
AMMO:
Snake: 40

EDIT: And a little more.

GRASSTOWN AREA:
Collected 1 life capsule, turned on the first circuit, and I chose to fight Suto.
AMMO:
Snake: 40

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:55 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I am sorry but I found a bug from the get-go with NewGame+. If you have not saved in Start Point yet and happened to DIE from the monsters, EVERYTHING in initialized and all NG+ features are lost. It seems the "Saved Once" flag got cleared when you fall in the hole of the Prefab House, so the Profile will NOT load after death and retry unless you save at Start Point.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:15 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Fluff8836 said:
I am sorry but I found a bug from the get-go with NewGame+. If you have not saved in Start Point yet and happened to DIE from the monsters, EVERYTHING in initialized and all NG+ features are lost. It seems the "Saved Once" flag got cleared when you fall in the hole of the Prefab House, so the Profile will NOT load after death and retry unless you save at Start Point.

That's why I always copy the profile instead of move it.

Made some more progress in the game, will report when I get home from school.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:51 PM
Would it be fine if I just have the game save automatically after loading Start Point?

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:00 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Would it be fine if I just have the game save automatically after loading Start Point?

That's probably a good bet, although I save whenever I start. This applies to the original too. Don't need to read Kazuma's transmission again.

So, progress.

Again ignoring a Bubbler chest, I cleaned up Grasstown of everything possible, including the Arms Barrier. Just fell down to the Underside and grabbed the Fireball. I'm gonna continue from the Underside Shack tomorrow.

Generally, this is a 100% run, so from here on I'll just say where I am and if I encounter anything funky.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:47 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I did a stream of this mod. It can be found at http://www.twitch.tv/mutoidlog/b/629530805. (spoiler warning) There's no commentary so feel free to ignore it unless you're really interested. It plays from Grasstown to

getting control of Curly

What's more important is the reason I did the run. A video of the important events can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TsH0itdGA (spoiler warning again).

In brief, I do a sequence break in Grasstown by damage boosting from bats with pausing. This skips the first Suto fight and the Generator Room Key completely. The Suto fight remains in the Teleporter Room when I return later, and leads to some fun consequences. Fortunately it doesn't break the game too badly; the damage is limited to that room.