Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:38 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Fluff8836 said:
View attachment 527
Did that Mimiga above Chaco's House turn into a fan? This happened when I turn on or off Circuit A.

Lmfao, one of those things that you can't even comprehend what happened. This reminds me of this one glitch in Super Mario 64 DS where when you look at a sign in this one area, something appears when you shift the camera and it keeps changing as you move it. It's pretty hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 23, 2015 at 7:46 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Huh. That's probably been around since early demos.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:09 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Huh. That's probably been around since early demos.
Here's my suggestion. Either leave it in and change the dialogue to something funny, leave it in and put in a sign somewhere mentioning it, leave it in and explain the joke in a Secret Room (probably the first Sand Zone one), or just take it out and we can remember it fondly.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:38 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
ArmsItem
Code:
<KEY<MSGHey, hey, hold up.<NOD
Did he just break the fourth wall!?<NOD
...<NOD What do you mean 'I am too'??<NOD<FL+2264<FRE<EVE5998
There is a blank line between the dialog in-game. Try this...
Code:
<KEY<MSGHey, hey, hold up.<NOD
Did he just break the fourth
wall!?<NOD
...<NOD What do you mean 'I am too'??<NOD<FL+2264<FRE<EVE5998
Head
Code:
<PRI<MSGOpened the chest.<NOD<AM+0004:0020<CLR
<GIT0015=MachineGun= ammo increased by 20!<NOD<END
Put a space between Machine and Gun. EDIT: Actually leave that there... Only 34 characters in one line. (35 may be OK but the flashing box goes to next line, your call.)
-------------------

New bug in Hermit Gunsmith (JN062):
As Curly: I cannot leave Hermit Gunsmith, so I am stuck here. Flag 163 is the culprit jumping to event 101, Curly leaves but comes back in! This is after Quote beating Suto. Tetsouzou says "Good afternoon young lady, please pay an old hermit no mind..." Flag 163 is unset after I recovered the Spur.
Incidentally...
That boss rush could be done with only the Machine Gun (with up to three extra weapons) before picking up Quote's items. It is near impossible to actually doing it without taking a lot of damage and risking death. (A tool-assist would get the job done) If you pick up the Pointed Glasses before Quote's items, Curly's portrait with "......" will show WITHOUT the Pointed Glass on her. This is for events 352 and 353 in Jenka's House.
-------------------

Review:
3.0.0.1 report #1
3.0.0.1 report #2
So far, I have found 10 bugs... Here is the list:
1. Diary in Booster's Lab is one blank line in the final entry.
2. Compatable is misspelled for two ammo events in the Head script. Should be "compatible", NOT "compatable".
3. NG+ Related-Spur Capsule: Tetsouzou tells you to get out after getting Munitions Clip, also grate opens up.
4. Curly may not get the Munitions Clip.
5. Magic Journal inconsistency in ArmsItem #6143.
6. Shovel Mimiga above Chaco's House turns into a fan when turning on or off Circuit A.
7. One blank line in ArmsItem #5994.
8. Not really a bug, but "MachineGun" should be "Machine Gun" in Head #0021. Unfortunately the phrase takes up a full 34 characters on one line.
9. Flag 163 issue in Hermit Gunsmith (JN062).
10. Quote's item pickup after picking up Pointed Glasses will not show Curly's portrait with Pointed Glasses on her face.

I have finished playing. That is all. I expect revision 2 be made to fix these bugs.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

Love that ORG rendition of the theme of "Gurren Lagann"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 26, 2015 at 1:50 AM
Update 3.0.0.2

- Fixed all the things in Fluff8836's above post, except for the "=MachineGun=" thing, to avoid the line break.

Yes, the mimiga-turning-into-a-fan was indeed something that's been around since the earliest demo of the mod! Amazing.

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:08 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Update 3.0.0.2

- Fixed all the things in Fluff8836's above post, except for the "=MachineGun=" thing, to avoid the line break.

Yes, the mimiga-turning-into-a-fan was indeed something that's been around since the earliest demo of the mod! Amazing.

We will remember Mimigafan fondly.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:09 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Thanks for finishing the mod dude. I am eager to meet the mimigafan.

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:33 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Might as well post it here because it's just about time for me to move on...

Grasstown Tower: After beating Suto in Teleporter Room, the chest appears in the Tower. There is a Save Diskette inside the tower at the top floor and if you save here, then restarted the game from that, I do not see the chest. ~ In the script, a flagjump goes to an event that "moves" the open and closed chests next to the bed before fade-in when you enter the tower. You make the call...

Not to worry, at some point in time, I will make sure the ones prior to 3.0.0.2 are fixed up.
☐☑☒

☑ 1. Diary in Booster's Lab is one blank line in the final entry. This has been corrected. - FIXED!
☑ 2. Compatable is misspelled for two ammo events in the Head script. Should be "compatible", NOT "compatable". - FIXED!
☐ 3. NG+ Related-Spur Capsule: Tetsouzou tells you to get out after getting Munitions Clip, also grate opens up. This has been corrected. (must be experienced in-game)
☑ 4. Curly may not get the Munitions Clip. This has been corrected. - FIXED!
☑ 5. Magic Journal inconsistency in ArmsItem #6143. With the correction, should say "Afterburner" in description. - FIXED!
☑ 6. Shovel Mimiga above Chaco's House turns into a fan when turning on or off Circuit A. This has been corrected. - FIXED!
☑ 7. One blank line in ArmsItem #5994. This has been corrected. - FIXED!
☐ 8. Flag 163 issue in Hermit Gunsmith (JN062). This has been corrected. (must be experienced in-game)
☑ 9. Quote's items pickup after picking up Pointed Glasses will not show Curly's portrait with Pointed Glasses on her face. This has been corrected. - FIXED!

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:20 PM
Paths said:
http://i.imgur.com/PDxm0s7.png it appears that this is not a Cave Story+ mod and is indeed a Cave Story mod
i believe this is false advertising
Please go to the web page and have a look at the URL for Cave Story+. Notice something missing?

The website ignores punctuation in naming! Isn't that something? There's no existing "Cave Story" Site, and it told me it already exists when I tried making it myself. I also made a news post, saying "Please be aware this is a mod of the original game, and not CS+". (Not that it helped much, mind you...)

If we're being real here, does it really matter that much? There were no mods tied to CS+ on there to begin with. Outside of Plusporter, I doubt there ever really will be. May as well merge the two 'groups', regardless.

(Also, honestly, that website's pretty awful on the backend. To add a mod, you need to have the game on the list, but you don't see it until halfway through making the mod page. If it isn't on the list, you have to stop what you're doing to make the game page. Half way through the game page, it requires you pick a developer from a list of existing ones. It's required. If it isn't on there, again, you scrap what you just did and make the developer page. Then you make the dev and go to make the game page again. It tells you Cave Story already exists! So why isn't it on the list? Oh, it turns out Cave Story+ exists, but the owner of the page disabled mod additions to that game. So you ask why, and someone merely unlocks the CS+ mod section. By then, you aren't as motivated as when you started, so fuck it.)

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
Please go to the web page and have a look at the URL for Cave Story+. Notice something missing?

The website ignores punctuation in naming! Isn't that something? There's no existing "Cave Story" Site, and it told me it already exists when I tried making it myself. I also made a news post, saying "Please be aware this is a mod of the original game, and not CS+". (Not that it helped much, mind you...)

If we're being real here, does it really matter that much? There were no mods tied to CS+ on there to begin with. Outside of Plusporter, I doubt there ever really will be. May as well merge the two 'groups', regardless.

(Also, honestly, that website's pretty awful on the backend. To add a mod, you need to have the game on the list, but you don't see it until halfway through making the mod page. If it isn't on the list, you have to stop what you're doing to make the game page. Half way through the game page, it requires you pick a developer from a list of existing ones. It's required. If it isn't on there, again, you scrap what you just did and make the developer page. Then you make the dev and go to make the game page again. It tells you Cave Story already exists! So why isn't it on the list? Oh, it turns out Cave Story+ exists, but the owner of the page disabled mod additions to that game. So you ask why, and someone merely unlocks the CS+ mod section. By then, you aren't as motivated as when you started, so fuck it.)
Sounds stupid.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:46 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
ZarroTsu said:
I was waiting until he put it on his Youtube channel before linking it, but it looks like he may not be going to. Oh well

Here's the king of Let's Play playing Jenka's Nightmare.
Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I have to watch this. I think this supersedes vinesauce's LP of Cave as "most important internet guy playing a CS mod." Congrats!
EDIT: Oh wow, you got in on it. You are internet famous now.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:59 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
He didn't get too far though, did he? Then again, I skipped through quickly. Still, frigging slowbeef. Amazing.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:18 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
it is very perfect mod..

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:09 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hello, this mods is finish for a last version and any check bugfix?

I think so many version and I start over old version before. hahaha.

Sorry I was inactive year ago because I was busy for another record games on DS or so new in my dream.

I was test run for a last years and now completed this game so wonderful but no record yet.
Finish set on more diffculty for I will fix real TAS again (full version and no more next) or someone will?
I will follow walkthrough but shortcut with 100% or not? (Answer)

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:29 AM
Everything should be set in stone now. If I update again in the future, it shouldn't affect any TASes.

Take a look at http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15288&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 for some WIPs arandomgameTASer did a while back, including some notes. You're welcome to put your TAS in that topic, too; arandomgameTASer stopped because the computer he was working on it with buggered up.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:32 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Wow. I know I'm somewhat late because I'm not subscribed to this thread, but it's impressive to see Slowbeef play your mod. It seems you've done a really good job - congrats on your achievements, Zarro.

Playing through CS mods again wasn't one of the first things that I thought of when I was given my laptop, but Jenka's Nightmare was the first to come to mind. Admittedly I've found it more difficult than I expected to complete Cave Story with 3HP, no missile expansions and the Polar Star, and I was stuck on the Core in particular. Since then I've been focused on other things, but once I get to Sacred Grounds with that save file I'll be sure to play though this. I'm especially excited now that it's finished. :3

I'm still disappointed in myself that I couldn't do more to help out as this was being created, but...whatever. That means nothing, you clearly didn't need it anyway. This is getting kind of rambley but basically I'm happy that you finished it and looking forward to playing it blind after nearly a year. :debug: