Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

May 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Quote, Curly, and Balrog have spent a long year enjoying their new lives away from the island after the events of Cave Story, and the defeat of The Doctor and Ballos. Suddenly, and without warning, they are teleported back to the island by a desperate and defeated Jenka, and immediately separated.

From the get-go it's evident that the entire island has been physically changed by some strange forces acting upon it. What has happened to the island after the previous events? It's up to Quote to find his friends and figure out the mystery behind these new forces, meeting old allies and new enemies along the way.
Once upon a time a guy named shmitz made a mod called Jenka's Nightmare. He eventually abandoned the mod due to the limitations of the modding community at the time, as his ideas were a lot bigger than the scope of Cave Story's abilities. He moved on to work on the dev team for Cave Story 3DS.

A couple of people tried their hand at finishing the game due to its simple, yet mysterious setting, and a lot of the results were either the addition of simplified endings or overly complicated fetch quests. This version of the mod strives not to simply complete the game, but remaster it from beginning to end.

Current Version is 3.0.1.0 (Updated Mar 15, 2015)
The game can be downloaded through one of the links below:

Standalone Download

Walkthrough Download

Game + Walkthrough

May 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Wow! Just tried it, looks great and polished and all...

Erm, I also have a question about the mod. I saved recently in Chaba's shop, then went back to Monster X and back to Chaba with the knowledge that I need the Critter Juice, but Chaba just keeps talking about how the Revolutionarium is a death trap. Any advice how I can fix this?

May 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Unfortunately, you will have to start a new game using the full version listed above. I cannot guarantee the flags from previous versions working correctly in this one.

May 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
ZarroTsu said:
Unfortunately, you will have to start a new game using the full version listed above. I cannot guarantee the flags from previous versions working correctly in this one.
*Darth Vader Voice*
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
etc.
etc.
etc.
EDIT: OMG! I moved the Profile from the glitched demo to the complete version, and it worked! :D
I didn't waste half my entire day! Now, one more question: I know you have to defeat Toroko's ghost and do that stuff and get the Sky Blade to get the best ending where
Misery and Quote/Just Quote DON'T DIE,
But The Sky Blade statue just makes me leave, or else it kills me.

May 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Zarro, I want to thank you for making this. When I tried playing the original JN, I found that it was too frustrating for my taste and I gave up on it after some time. I have been playing the previous version for the past week (in the middle of the Labyrinth now), and I am curious to know if it would be worth starting over on this new version.

May 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM
I highly recommend starting a new game due to the addition of a plot branch concerning the Critter Juice, as well as several additional flags laid out for the new "Magic Journal" item.

Now, one more question: I know you have to defeat Toroko's ghost and do that stuff and get the Sky Blade to get the best ending where
Misery and Quote/Just Quote DON'T DIE,
But The Sky Blade statue just makes me leave, or else it kills me.

I have no idea what any of those things mean, and it doesn't sound like this version of the game at all.
(Please delete MagicDoor's version from your hard drive, and never look back)

May 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM
ZarroTsu said:
I highly recommend starting a new game due to the addition of a plot branch concerning the Critter Juice, as well as several additional flags laid out for the new "Magic Journal" item.

I have no idea what any of those things mean, and it doesn't sound like this version of the game at all.
(Please delete MagicDoor's version from your hard drive, and never look back)
When does the Magic Journal come in? If I already passed it and can't go back, I'll hack it in, if I can get back there I'll get it. I just got to the Revolutionarium.

May 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM
The tower right in the middle of the village.

May 4, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Alright, so I'm trying to remember since it's been forever.

If you decide to do a Vanilla/Minimal run of CS (Base HP, Polar Star, Fireball, and Blade), would there be more bonuses for the NG+ in Jenka, or would it be better to do Minimal HP and just get every single item in the game (All possible weapons without combining or trading, all trinkets, etc.) to get the most out of NG+? I'm planning on streaming the game sometime now that I've seen it complete which probably means less frustration compared to the times I had to stream the betas. I want to get the most content I can get out of the game that isn't the Developer Rooms and such. Though, I'll probably end up missing some stuff considering what little I actually know of it since the last time I tested it.

May 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
(Not sure how long this has been implemented for, but I love it anyway)
p183233-0-yes.png

You have no idea how much more this makes me love this mod.
It's great to see such a major mod like this finally see the light of day, and in such spectacular fashion, nonetheless.

May 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM
JonSpider said:
If you decide to do a Vanilla/Minimal run of CS (Base HP, Polar Star, Fireball, and Blade), would there be more bonuses for the NG+ in Jenka, or would it be better to do Minimal HP and just get every single item in the game (All possible weapons without combining or trading, all trinkets, etc.) to get the most out of NG+?

It depends on what you want to do. Generally more weapons produce more results, but specific weapons produce specific results. You need to experiment, first and foremost. Minimum HP will result in up to 99 HP as a result, but I wouldn't blame you for grabbing one or two anyway to deal with Monster X (in the original).

May 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM
So I just got to the Speleothem...
I was literally speechless on how amazing it was.
A+++

Edit: I just defeated Genesis without losing 1 HP. How's that? :3

By the way,, I found a little glitch you may want to fix...
When you find Balrog in the Core, you can keep talking to him and he'll break your "Missile Capsule."
Well, I didn't have a Missile Capsule, and he did it for me as much as a wanted. Now I have 102 Super Missile ammo.

May 4, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Ah. That's bad.

I'm going to compile a small list of errors like that before I fix them, to avoid updating the game once every ten minutes.

Although, yeah, that's a pretty major one. I should probably fix it immediately.

May 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM
ZarroTsu said:
Ah. That's bad.

I'm going to compile a small list of errors like that before I fix them, to avoid updating the game once every ten minutes.

Although, yeah, that's a pretty major one. I should probably fix it immediately.
Yup. I hope it's ok to have 120 missiles... ;-;

May 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Depends on if you want to make the game too easy for yourself or not.

May 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM
ZarroTsu said:
Depends on if you want to make the game too easy for yourself or not.
Honestly, I barely ever use the missiles...
*Angel Me*
It's not fair! Hack it back to 30!
*Devil Me*
Oh come on! Don't listen to him, use them for EVERYTHING! >:D
I'm about in the middle.

May 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Update 140504_1 (1.0.0.1)

- Fixed the above bug where Balrog wouldn't actually take away the correct capsule for super missiles.
- Fixed one typo.