Is Cave Story 3D the worst cave story iteration?

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:08 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
(Erased a whooole bunch of stuff here about the original that's gonna come up later. You'll get the jist of what I said in the coming comments anyway...)

Okay, so you know how it goes. I tried to post this before buy my internet connection gave out. So now I've gotta rush it.

+3D graphics.
+Good Locales
+More remixed Music

-Minimal on the extra's in comparison to cave story plus
-The character models and animations are sub par, to say the least.
-A 40 Dollar price tag isn't worth it WHEN it's 10 dollars else where.
-No original music

More detials on the animaton: Okay, Quote kinda looks fine. But the quality of the characters varies, Kazuma looks really bad and has a very strange walk. Plus the characters have 100% less emotion than they did in cave story. As far as I can remember, the characters don't really have much facial expression in cave story 3D. Infact yeah, I think they don't have any at all.

I just think this game isn't worth it when the cave story for 10 bucks on steam has more charming characters (though that's more an opinion I suppose), extra play modes, and the wind fortress...

Incase I'm not being very clear... I'm trying to say if someone wasn't already a cave story fan I think this would be a bad place to start, and it would better to get the cheaper steam version, Wii ware version, or the completely free original.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:14 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
DrProfessor said:
I think so.

Okay, so you know how it goes. I tried to post this before buy my internet connection gave out. So now I've gotta rush it.

+3D graphics.
+Good Locales
+More remixed Music

-Minimal on the extra's in comparison to cave story plus
-The character models and animations are sub par, to say the least.
-A 40 Dollar price tag isn't worth it WHEN it's 10 dollars else where.
-No original music

More detials on the animaton: Okay, Quote kinda looks fine. But the quality of the characters varies, Kazuma looks really bad and has a very strange walk. Plus the characters have 100% less emotion than they did in cave story. As far as I can remember, the characters don't really have much facial expression in cave story 3D. Infact yeah, I think they don't have any at all.

I just think this game isn't worth it when the cave story for 10 bucks on steam has more charming characters (though that's more an opinion I suppose), extra play modes, and the wind fortress...

Now, note that I mean, if someone wasn't already a cave story fan I think this would be a bad place to start. If you already are a cave story fan, then it's interesting to see the 3D locales. But I could be totally wrong and have it backward. Someone who knows nothing of cave story might enjoy this game, while me, because I'm a fan, feel like it's a downgrade because I'm comparing it to it's many other iterations. What do you think?
Their is no way I can agree with you more. Seriously, there are so little advantages over the Steam version. I actually wouldn't have minded it being the exact same thing as on Steam, even if it still did cost $40 (although that would be an obvious ripoff). There is just so much more to do in CS+, but I guess CS3D was used mostly to introduce new players to Cave Story, more or less.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:29 AM
"Huzzah!"
I just wish I could've traded it in for super mario 3d land when I had the chance, but christmas is right around the corner; no complaints there.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:45 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
DrProfessor said:
I'm trying to say if someone wasn't already a cave story fan I think this would be a bad place to start, and it would better to get the cheaper steam version.

Are you forgetting that Cave Story is completely free?
The free version is the best place to start, because it doesn't cost any money, so you wouldn't be wasting any if you dislike it.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:01 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
You forgot to mention it has a lot of glitches, even though some are actually good.

Also the music is amazing even if it's not original.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ollie said:
Are you forgetting that Cave Story is completely free?
The free version is the best place to start, because it doesn't cost any money, so you wouldn't be wasting any if you dislike it.

Yeah but... I kiiinda want people to support Pixel? ... With money? I mean, if it sells well, people will make more... And the world could use a dozen or two cheap cave story rip offs. There's not enough exploration, adventure, quirky cute character games.
Besides, It's not just about it being cheaper. I think cave story plus is the best iteraton of cave story. Old or new graphics, and the new graphics are just splendiferous. All sorts of new tomfoolery that I don't even need to go into, I mean, there are new game modes!

yrotS evaC said:
You forgot to mention it has a lot of glitches, even though some are actually good.

Also the music is amazing even if it's not original.

The musics amazing, but most iterations of cave story have their own new music AND the choice to use the old stuff.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:20 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
For me it goes PC Version > 3DS Remake > DSi Version > Wii Version... so my answer is no.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
...Hold on, let me get this straight. Did you just claim the first itteration of Cave Story is the worst, but gets special permission to be such as it is the primary release?
Let me ask you something. Do you go to a Star Wars forum and tell everyone that empire was bad because the special effects are sub-par? Do you go to a Harry Potter forum and complain that the books were far too wordy and story-heavy compared to the movies? Do you go to Maidens of the Kaleidoscope and complain that Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was too difficult and unrefined?

Do you even realize what you have done? You are skating on thin ice, above the biggest shitstorm this side of the Sattelite Lounge. Run, get out while you still can! Abandon ship, you may have time to protect your reputation yet! Quick! Deflect what I just said with circular logic and general vagueness, I know you can pull through!

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
DrProfessor said:
I think so. Besides the original ofcourse. But the original is the original, ofcourse. It should be worst.
Oh boy.
You can't be serious. I don't think you quite understand why people enjoy this game.
I seriously hope for your sake you're just trolling us.

DrProfessor said:
if someone wasn't already a cave story fan I think this would be a bad place to start, and it would better to get the cheaper steam version.
Or, how about starting with the real version? Y'know, the one that's free?

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
cultr1 said:
...Hold on, let me get this straight. Did you just claim the first itteration of Cave Story is the worst, but gets special permission to be such as it is the primary release?
Let me ask you something. Do you go to a Star Wars forum and tell everyone that empire was bad because the special effects are sub-par? Do you go to a Harry Potter forum and complain that the books were far too wordy and story-heavy compared to the movies? Do you go to Maidens of the Kaleidoscope and complain that Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was too difficult and unrefined?

Do you even realize what you have done? You are skating on thin ice, above the biggest shitstorm this side of the Sattelite Lounge. Run, get out while you still can! Abandon ship, you may have time to protect your reputation yet! Quick! Deflect what I just said with circular logic and general vagueness, I know you can pull through!

Yakkers said:
Oh boy.
You can't be serious. I don't think you quite understand why people enjoy this game.
I seriously hope for your sake you're just trolling us.

Or, how about starting with the real version? Y'know, the one that's free?

I rephrased a bit, I hope it makes sense to you two... I didn't mean the original was bad or anything, I just meant that if I had to reccomend either one of the 10 dolar cave stories, or the original, I'd reccomend the 10 dollar ones because you can revert the graphics and music back to their orignal self anyway. Except all the new ones add a new score of tracks, a few bits to the graphics, and new modes like Curley mode and boss rush...
Plus, you can even have cave story portable on the DS, which is fantastic what I was thinking the whole time I played through cave story at first!
Does it sorta make sense why I said that now? I don't really think it's like comparing starwars or harry potter to their sequels. It think it's more like saying: "Instead of buying the old DVD, you should buy the new DVD with directors commentary and deleted scenes."
I hope that makes a little more sense.

Also, what I'm trying to get at here is wheather Cave Story 3D is best version or not. The logic is that it should be for it's higher price tag, but I actually like some of the cheaper versions more... It would seem you guys agree with that already... Yeah?

This is like my 3rd edit, but if I may add on just a *little* bit more... I edited in that bit about cave story being worst because I personally believe that Cave Story 3D is a little bit better than the original cave story because you can use the original sprites, which I enjoyed playing with in the new environments. It's a close race between the original and the 3D cave story for me, but 3D just *barely* takes the cake. It's really just a matter of opinion, and I assumed people generally felt the same about all that stuff I said. But if you dis agree, please don't think I'm trolling... It's just my own personal thoughts and I'm not trying to start a "shitstorm". I hope this was just a case of poor wording due to my trying to say something quickly, and that I've averted any impending doom bound to befall me. (Honestly!)

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM
"Huzzah!"
Let me explain to you briefly why the original is the best. It is the original, without it, there would be no cave story, no fansite or forum. No remakes and no mods. It opened the door for hundreds of fans to experience the indie community, with alot of help from cave editor and some of the highly regarded members here.

Not to mention when Pixel made this original Cave Story, on his own... It was a personal project. He wasnt thinking about money, popularity or business. Cave Story has a certain intimacy to it that no other version will equal because it's so genuinely a man pouring his heart into a game for the sake of the game.

Not to say i'm against any other version, i'd say he should go for it, because he's becomign moreand more loved by fans wordlwide every day. He deserves to makea living from it. But the original, for the above reasons will never be equaled. It is a historic, intimate and passionate little work of art.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Miles_Valentine said:
Let me explain to you briefly why the original is the best. It is the original, without it, there would be no cave story, no fansite or forum. No remakes and no mods. It opened the door for hundreds of fans to experience the indie community, with alot of help from cave editor and some of the highly regarded members here.

Not to mention when Pixel made this original Cave Story, on his own... It was a personal project. He wasnt thinking about money, popularity or business. Cave Story has a certain intimacy to it that no other version will equal because it's so genuinely a man pouring his heart into a game for the sake of the game.

Not to say i'm against any other version, i'd say he should go for it, because he's becomign moreand more loved by fans wordlwide every day. He deserves to makea living from it. But the original, for the above reasons will never be equaled. It is a historic, intimate and passionate little work of art.

I completely understand and whole heartedly agree.
EGH. Screw it. I sort of put the original "Except for the original" there because I thought things might get off subject to people talking about it being better than the original.
It ended up doing the complete opposite, so I'm just going to return the post to it's original self.
(Why can't I go back in time and stop myself from saying things?)

Can we go in the other direction? I actually wanted to talk about what everyone here thinks about cave story 3d, and if anyone think your better off buying getting the original for free or getting the wii ware version before you shell at the 40 bucks.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Personally, I think that cave story is a game which was made free so that everybody could experiance it, and in all honesty i don't think i'd pay 40$ just so i could play Cave story "On the go". But that's just my opinon.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Miles_Valentine said:

So by this logic, the original Cave Story on the PC is the best only because it's the first?

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM
"Huzzah!"
You seriously want to derail this topic even further than it has been derailed already? I have nothing to add.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
cultr1 said:

4 and the parts of 6 without the Ewoks were better than 5

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
You also forgot to add the fact there were some secret levels added, along with a crap-ton of lifecapsules (which I personally feel is a con, but having actually played the game I really can't blame NICALiS.)

NICALiS tried their best to make this game, so in my opinion they get an A in the effort category. It's a shame the animations weren't better, and the camera could very possibly be placed on the moon.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So yeah, I've already put my review online. I forgot to mention that I posted this to have people convince me that cave story 3D is *not* a terrible cave story... but I asked, and my reviews done and up. But if anyone has any objections to me saying that the animation is sub par and the game has less features than any of it's counterparts, then please voice them.
I wonder if I should post the review in a new thread?

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
cultr1 said:
Do you go to Maidens of the Kaleidoscope and complain that Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was too difficult and unrefined?

It WAS unrefined. Not a bad game, but ZUN still hadn't gotten experience with windows music (making it sound a bit odd compared to the rest of the windows games) and it lacks many improvements of the later games (such as a scoring gimmick and the ability to see your focused hitbox). It also cuts the game off in easy mode, making it kind of annoying. The difficulty... well, it's a Touhou game. It's to be expected, and it's not even the hardest in the series.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
IT IS! It makes Curly look like a 5-year-old! :momo: :p :momo: :p :momo: