Introducing CSDM (Cave Story Game Boy Demake Project)

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:57 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
3 years ago I posted about a Cave Story project for the Game Boy. After releasing my own game and starting a new one, I have restarted the project about 2-ish months ago. Though the current public build is nowhere near final, you may support my Patreon if you want more builds and misc. stuff like chiptunes for the project as they're made, along with my other projects (which is what the Patreon is mainly for). The goal is of course to have Cave Story fully playable on an original DMG model Gameboy, and I hope to see it through to the end unlike my previous attempt among many other people's attempts. If the project for whatever reason cannot be completed by me, I will make the source files public and I'm sure someone else in the community will finish the job from there. For now, I will link to the current public build of the Cave Story Gameboy Demake Project (CSDM) <-- Codename but there are more private builds being added in bursts once a month or so. I work very quickly but with long breaks, so don't be alarmed if nothing is posted for a hot minute. It will come
also, i'm in college and need food lmao thats the only reason why up to date stuff and whatever is patreon-only along with my other projects, but the final build will be 110% free.

also ignore the 1000 f bombs in the first cave, i was trying to get the text to stop overflowing and used the word as a test lmao, forgot to remove it before i made it public... oh well :,)

@AquaDoesStuff Is doing the music along with another friend who worked on the music for my own game previously.

Attachments

• CSDM 23 12 17.zip
    159 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 1:06 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
from what I've played, it seems to be shaping up pretty well so far
I've been contributing sound effects and music covers for it (the music isn't implemented at the moment however)
looking forward to seeing how far this goes

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
yes! i forgot to mention that you're doing the music

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:09 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
You're modifying the GB Studio engine with custom C code, right...?

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:49 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
nope, just really good at my craft now :)
How would you implement something like Monster X? Wouldn't you run out of sprites?
I'm also curious as to how you've got the Outer Wall configured. I assume you've split it into several discrete maps to get around the size limit GB Studio imposes.

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:23 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
some bosses and areas require heavy modification, monster x is one of the few i will be completely overhauling. outer wall is split into several sections, yeah