I Wanna Be The Story [DEMO No.2]

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:44 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
One day, I had a fun thought: "I have seen so many IWBTG fan games dedicate bosses or entire levels to Cave Story. Why not do it the other way around?"

This was the result.

Yes, I am serious. No, I am not sorry.

p363535-0-7kqyf6w.png

p363535-1-xwmd7p4.png

p363535-2-ccpnf1d.png

Demo No.2
- 2 new areas.
- 1 new weapon.
- 2.1 new bosses.
- Addition of custom music.
- Redone forest background.
- Several small QoL fixes and changes.

Demo No.1
- First public demo.

DOWNLOAD (Demo No.2)
DOWNLOAD (Demo No.1)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:17 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I tried it out, and I enjoyed it. The levels were well-made, using lots of elements from IWBTG in a Cave Story fashion. Interesting little opening cutscene at the beginning of the mod with your basket getting stolen. I liked the way you could spring the random traps that would cause you to fall. I especially liked the one at the beginning where I thought I was avoiding that apple at the beginning but then jumped right into that pit that killed me. I didn't get very far, I stopped playing at that map with the lever, the two critters, and the tree with three apples since I couldn't figure out how to get past that. I liked your use of customized graphics with a little bit of ASM hacks. I probably would have preferred if the double jump feature only let you jump extra upward instead of boost to the side or down, that way the jumping physics would be more like in IWBTG, and it would be more convenient to pull off those double jumps. Another thing I was hoping for that I think would add to this mod is ORG renditions of some of the music used in IWBTG.

Anyway, I probably won't be playing any more of this, but good job.

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:57 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
I tried it out, and I enjoyed it. The levels were well-made, using lots of elements from IWBTG in a Cave Story fashion. Interesting little opening cutscene at the beginning of the mod with your basket getting stolen. I liked the way you could spring the random traps that would cause you to fall. I especially liked the one at the beginning where I thought I was avoiding that apple at the beginning but then jumped right into that pit that killed me. I didn't get very far, I stopped playing at that map with the lever, the two critters, and the tree with three apples since I couldn't figure out how to get past that. I liked your use of customized graphics with a little bit of ASM hacks. I probably would have preferred if the double jump feature only let you jump extra upward instead of boost to the side or down, that way the jumping physics would be more like in IWBTG, and it would be more convenient to pull off those double jumps. Another thing I was hoping for that I think would add to this mod is ORG renditions of some of the music used in IWBTG.
Even if you haven't beaten the mod, I'm still glad that you liked what you played. If you want to know the specifics of how to get past the lever map:
You have to shoot the lever, which will cause the delicious fruits to fall from the tree. With them no longer in your way, you just have to double jump over the spikes.

I was hoping that shooting it instead of interacting with it would have been a little more obvious considering how you already have to shoot save points to save your progress, but I guess I could throw a hint-bearing sign into the level to drive the point home.

I've heard from a couple people now that they would prefer it if the double jump was a true double jump, so I think I'm going to look into the double jump hack that I think is floating around somewhere. It hopefully shouldn't mess with any of the obstacles while at the same time being more convenient to use than the current method of letting go of the arrow keys before jumping again. At the very least, it will make 1-4's jumps more tolerable.

Getting the Guilty Gear music that IWBTG uses would be perfect, but the only ORG I could find of it so far has been incomplete. Definitely going to try asking around a bit more for assistance, though; it would be criminal to make a mod like this without the ORG.

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:02 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Even if you haven't beaten the mod, I'm still glad that you liked what you played. If you want to know the specifics of how to get past the lever map:
You have to shoot the lever, which will cause the delicious fruits to fall from the tree. With them no longer in your way, you just have to double jump over the spikes.

I was hoping that shooting it instead of interacting with it would have been a little more obvious considering how you already have to shoot save points to save your progress, but I guess I could throw a hint-bearing sign into the level to drive the point home.
Yeah, I shot the lever, it was just timing that jump right that gave me trouble. I didn't keep trying long enough to figure out if it was possible to clear both of those spikes, or if there was some other trick to it.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:44 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Yeah, I shot the lever, it was just timing that jump right that gave me trouble. I didn't keep trying long enough to figure out if it was possible to clear both of those spikes, or if there was some other trick to it.
Yep, I guess that's as good a reason as any to try out the double jump hack. I should've seen it coming when I still have the occasional hiccup and dash when I mean to double jump, what with the whole "the game creator will almost always be better at their own game than the player" thing.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:14 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I was expecting unfair difficulty, but it was quite reasonable!
Only issue I encountered was on 1-2, if you jump too high near the end, you get accused of H*CKING eeeeeeeeeee lol.

Other than that, I took my time checking all nooks and crannies for that final capsule... Figured you would give it before the boss... turns out it was after the boss x( lol That's april fool's material! Argh! lol

@the double jump
A true double jump will probably be easier to manage, and less prone to abuse... (As you can quickly tap jump up to 3 times and get a reasonably high jump, so with the double jump hack it'll be easier to control but you won't have a the dash mechanic to play with... Either way works I guess!

Anyway, neat concept! Btw are you working on yet another level for the level contest? Or could this be...?

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:54 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
One day, I had a fun thought: "I have seen so many IWBTG fan games dedicate bosses or entire levels to Cave Story. Why not do it the other way around?"

This was the result.

Yes, I am serious. No, I am not sorry.

p363551-0-7uwy3r1.png

p363551-1-ojuwgdq.png

p363551-2-129ij7a.png

Demo No.1
- First public demo.

DOWNLOAD (v1.1)
It was a pretty good mod. It had a tutorial that wasn't nagging and was completely optional. (I chose to read it because I had no idea how to play). It was also good that you edited the death screen so it showed immediately instead of taking a second to display the dialog. The new blocks are also pretty cool and the shooting the Save Disk is a pretty neat feature.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:33 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Because of the finnicky way that Cave Story physics work it seems like you really have to get the timing down on precisely when in your jump you have to double jump or else you barely gain any extra height. Also it took me a good five minutes to get the hang of the vines thing because if you press left before you press jump you just fall off the micro-ledge. Other than that, well polished and looks good. Some custom music would do some good as well.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:15 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Because of the finnicky way that Cave Story physics work it seems like you really have to get the timing down on precisely when in your jump you have to double jump or else you barely gain any extra height. Also it took me a good five minutes to get the hang of the vines thing because if you press left before you press jump you just fall off the micro-ledge. Other than that, well polished and looks good. Some custom music would do some good as well.
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain when trying to cross bigger gaps. I've been trying to look into better alternatives for the double jump, but gamemanj's double jump hack is being very resistant to changing how high it sends the player. I could also try to extend the hitboxes of the wall jump entities by one or two pixels; just gotta make sure they aren't TOO wide. Finally, getting that one Guilty Gear track for the Forest levels would be perfect, but the only ORG of it that exists right now is incomplete.

Glad you liked it aside from that, though!

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:18 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Finally, getting that one Guilty Gear track for the Forest levels would be perfect, but the only ORG of it that exists right now is incomplete.

I could see about making that happen if you'd like, just PM me about it.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:32 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
I am proud to announce that Demo No.2 of I Wanna Be The Story is now ready for everyone to give a go! It can be found here or in the OP, and it features changes including, but not limited to: 2 new areas, 1 new weapon, 2.1 new bosses, new custom music, and more.

As always, feedback is welcome!

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:23 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I streamed this mod today and I have a few things to say:

Thanks for tuning in Seasons/recommending it, your mods are always good and I love you <3
Difficulty was JUST RIGHT, not too hard, not to easy. The bonus area was just the right difficulty for the bonus area being an extra 2 steps above everything else.

The caves were great in how you had to think about how to get past enemies, or fight them it wasn't too hard or too easy to do and I loved the experience.
The only thing I didn't really like was the Malco boss was a little bit meh just using vanilla entities in vanilla ways, such as you saw me just kinda stand there with the pea-shooter and hit the re-skinned armoured gaudi until phase two happened.
Then I got lucky so he/it flew close enough to the ground for me to mash my lazer gun and put him to ruins pretty quick with mashing skills once I figured out how to not get hit by the lazers.

I've always praised Ordeal pillar is being one of the best mods this year and I think that with slightly more content this will easily top it.

Thanks again for making this seasons, great work. :mahin:

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:15 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
I streamed this mod today and I have a few things to say:

Thanks for tuning in Seasons/recommending it, your mods are always good and I love you <3
Difficulty was JUST RIGHT, not too hard, not to easy. The bonus area was just the right difficulty for the bonus area being an extra 2 steps above everything else.

The caves were great in how you had to think about how to get past enemies, or fight them it wasn't too hard or too easy to do and I loved the experience.
The only thing I didn't really like was the Malco boss was a little bit meh just using vanilla entities in vanilla ways, such as you saw me just kinda stand there with the pea-shooter and hit the re-skinned armoured gaudi until phase two happened.
Then I got lucky so he/it flew close enough to the ground for me to mash my lazer gun and put him to ruins pretty quick with mashing skills once I figured out how to not get hit by the lazers.

I've always praised Ordeal pillar is being one of the best mods this year and I think that with slightly more content this will easily top it.

Thanks again for making this seasons, great work. :mahin:
Glad you liked the mod. The stream certainly was interesting to watch, though I must say you were a little too paranoid for your own good.

I might try to add some extra attacks to APE's first phase if I can think of them, but I also want it to be fair to someone who doesn't have any upgraded weapons; it certainly would have been a much quicker phase if you used the Mining Laser on it. As for it flying low, you might have shot and killed Phase 1 while it was in the air, which gives it less time overall to jump high due to how strict the <WAI's are. Depending on if I can find a suitable entity to replace the dead Gaudi with, that shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Finally, I'm not sure how to feel about a mod I've spent a month or two on being better than a mod I spent a year on. It's probably just the pure gameplay of this one appealing to a different audience.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:43 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
Glad you liked the mod. The stream certainly was interesting to watch, though I must say you were a little too paranoid for your own good.

Maybe a bit in parts, I mean I did get hit by that apple in the caves because I kept thinking that some of the blocks where it was a 2X1 in the shape of a press was going to fall on me, but alas in between them was an apple. It's super funny in hindsight though.

I might try to add some extra attacks to APE's first phase if I can think of them, but I also want it to be fair to someone who doesn't have any upgraded weapons; it certainly would have been a much quicker phase if you used the Mining Laser on it. As for it flying low, you might have shot and killed Phase 1 while it was in the air, which gives it less time overall to jump high due to how strict the <WAI's are. Depending on if I can find a suitable entity to replace the dead Gaudi with, that shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Understandable, I'd recommend using vanilla entities in non-vanilla manners like the fruit battle, that was very inventive and super interesting overall. And the Purple slimes, while not super inventive other than some TSC rigging for enemy spawns it was also pretty fun.

I'm not super versed in how to use vanilla assets to make the battle better, but the doors always open for me to make a hack or two for you as I'd love to contribute to your mods in any positive manner. Even something like simple where when it drops to half HP it hooks into a separate set of TSC, or becomes more aggressive, or has different attack patterns (that are reactable of course.) I'm just spit-balling here but yeah I'd love to help if you'd want it.

Finally, I'm not sure how to feel about a mod I've spent a month or two on being better than a mod I spent a year on. It's probably just the pure gameplay of this one appealing to a different audience.

I really enjoy either story driven or gameplay driven mods overall, and the appeal of IWTBTS is a little higher atmospherically than Ordeal Pillar, especially with the new art, new weapons, new characters, and it's almost as if your work has come to fruition in somewhat of a REMASTERED version for wiiware.

While Ordeal Pillar was more "inventive" (at least comparatively, but even then only slightly) in mechanic changes and vanilla resource management compared to this mod, It just makes for a better atmosphere in my opinion with the new art, a character that doesn't look like a quote clone, and very nice music all wrapped together.

I'm just an aesthetic person overall and it's my fetish so w/e. Either way you're doing great with your mods and so far I'm just going to sum it up to you're getting better and faster at making good content.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:22 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I'd say that you're just getting better at modding and that's why people like it right off the bat. I'd also note that there are less cutscenes before gameplay/retries which allows you to get in a good groove, especially in the Grotto. That was just a genuinely fun area too

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:29 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Can't say I didn't have fun. Though, I'm all around just not the biggest fan of IWBTG-style games so I wasn't sure what to expect when I loaded this up, needless to say I got my ass handed to me... That's not to say it was a bad mod, not by a long-shot (atleast, imo). This is my very first taste of what a Cave Story mod can be and I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised! Can't believe I've been playing this game for almost eight years without even realizing there's an entire modding community out there keeping things interesting.