Hyper Light Drifter

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm Surprised this doesn't have a thread here already. For those of you who aren't aware of this gem I hope you like what you see.
Trailer;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMosNHhyxI
"Hyper Light Drifter is a 2D Action RPG in the vein of the best 8-bit and 16-bit classics, with modernized mechanics and designs on a much grander scale.
Visions for this game have been fluttering in my skull for ages; something dark and fantastic, with giant forests to navigate, huge floating structures to explore, deep crumbling ruins to loot, massive throngs of enemies to rend, and behemoths both flesh and mechanical to overcome. I want it all to be as beautiful as possible, forging color with the dark and eerie wastes and intimidating landscapes. It plays like the best parts of A Link to the Past and Diablo, evolved: lightning fast combat, more mobility, an array of tactical options, more numerous and intelligent enemies, and a larger world with a twisted past to do it all in.
- Rip through enemies with responsive, fun combat; engaging and brutal. Upgrade weapons, discover new equipment and trek deeper than ever.
- Traverse a dark, detailed and interconnected world with alternate paths and secret loot. Miyazaki films have taught me that beautiful animation and design add life to a world. From characters to background elements, everything is lovingly crafted while I hum show-tunes and squint suspiciously at the flickering pixels until they perform as intended.
- A challenge - The game is accessible and easy to pick up, but difficult to master and complete; enemies and hazards become more vicious and numerous, so players must use clever tactics to avoid death. (Some yell hurtful phrases at players simply to bring tears to the cereal bowl below.)"
This game was succesfully kickstarted on October 12. It made $645,158 out of it's $27,000 goal.
Here's a video of combat mechanics;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu9w5P_7apA
& here's a Rock, Paper, Shotgun demo playthough I woke up to see posted this morning;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e03eb8lJUQ
Here's a good link to an interview with the creator, Heartmachine;
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/games/stories/1331621172091/hyper-light-drifter-retro-is-back

& here is the link to the kickstarter page for those curious about updates, concept art, & the like;
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter

It's worth noting the creator of Samurai Gunn, Teknopants, is a programmer on the project.
What are your thoughts about this game? First impressions? Your anticipation? Discuss.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Damn this looks amazing.
Hope this gets onto Steam...

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It's been greenlit on Steam greenlight already, so it'll come out on steam. I've updated the first post with the description from the steam page.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
for some reason this reminds me of radiant historia......

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Stylized pixel art? Relaxing yet threatening tone? MMMMMMMM... I will keep an eye out.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:24 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
this game changed my life and it ain't even out yet

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:20 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Nighth said:
this game changed my life and it ain't even out yet
lol yes, I could totally tell. ;)

I had a look at the trailer, and all I can say is that it's amazing. I can't say I'd go and buy it, but the visuals and sounds are hard to turn away from. It reminds me of a combination of exploration indie games I've played, but with every aspect of them amplified 1000x.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:12 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It looks flippin' gorgeous. You have no idea how badly I want to learn how to render graphics like that.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:46 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
*dusts off thread*
sooooo....anyone here played the demo? :D

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:42 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I wish, I'm taking you played the demo? How did it handle?

May 18, 2016 at 7:13 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hey so this game was released on March 31st, and it's pretty fun.

I did a speedrun of the latest patch (earlier patches have more time saving exploits that have been patched out):