How Long Has It Taken You to Beat Hell?

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
zxin said:
I have been playing Cave Story since I was about 7 years old, I've never beaten hell.
You may punish me however you wish for my failures :droll:
"It's not too late, it's never too late" to beat hell :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I honestly forget how long it took me to beat Hell for my first time, since it was so long ago, but I think the thing that caught me up the most after I learned Ballos' patterns and got the hang of the initial boosting segment was the second room with the falling blocks. It'd always end up eating a good chunk of my HP, forcing me to refill using the trick involving the reappearing hearts in the third room.
Anywho, if I were to guesstimate how long it took me to beat Hell upon getting to it, I'd say maybe a week, two weeks tops.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It took me arround 3 months in the 3ds version without the lifepot, a lifetime compared to the month it took to beat the rest of game and the normal ending.
I remember dying a lot on the heavy press. All the stuff on screen and the butter-like controls made it really difficult. When i actually made all the way to ballos, i found it to be quite easy, only took me a few days.

Ah, and the spikes in the first room... died a lot there too.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It was a long time ago for me too, so I'm not completely sure. 3 Months or so I think.
Totally worth it though.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
1 week. I wanted to send the level to hell.

Oh wait.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:11 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There's also a forum mod called Boss Rush, which can serve for one's Ballos-practicing needs.

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:46 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
implying i've beaten hell

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:58 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Am i the only one that in the same day i tried the hell for the first i also beat it? of course i did take some runs to complete it, you know, spikes in the first room, blocks in the second, the entire level, that giant thing boss before ballos and at the end Ballos.
i beat it without using the jenka's life pot and i had got missiles only for the second phase, i used the freeware edition and also i didn't had the nemesis (i had the sword)
but yes, in the same day that i tried the hell for the first time i also managed to beat it (it was yesterday) and if i have to be honest *puts sunglasses on* that hell was hard as hell

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:04 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Am i the only one that in the same day i tried the hell for the first i also beat it?

i beat it without using the jenka's life pot
... no life pot? Nice job.
I'm surprised too, that most people didn't beat hell right away? Not that it wasn't ridiculously hard... I restarted right away when I googled that there was a best ending that saves Curly.

I beat it the same day too, on keyboard! It was a LONG time ago though.
Didn't get much sleep that morning.

Not sure how long it took exactly? At least a couple stressful hours of unfortunate words being coughed* while I crawled my way through Hell... determined to survive. (if only there was a video of my blind playthrough back then. lol) Ballos fortunately wasn't too bad. But SURVIVING to reach him with enough health ... I didn't know about the health tips at the time, so that Life pot was so essential.

In the end, it probably took 4-12 times to beat Ballos. But, **hundreds** to beat hell.

Still can't imagine a Hard/3 HP run...

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:33 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
X-Calibar said:
Still can't imagine a Hard/3 HP run...
Actually on hard mode you'd have 8hp, from the HP capsule from the puppy before the last cave.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:05 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
X-Calibar said:
... no life pot? Nice job.
I'm surprised too, that most people didn't beat hell right away? Not that it wasn't ridiculously hard... I restarted right away when I googled that there was a best ending that saves Curly.
And also another thing is that i realized that: lower level of missile launcher = more missiles required for kill a boss, the last phase of ballos was the hardest one, i had 0 missiles so i decied to go like this, curly shoots at ballos with the nemesi and i shoot the angels with spur (without reloading it) and it went like this, put and down on the platoform sometime i went were angels was for collect hearts and when i defeated ballos i was heavy breathing really much
also i didn't have the whimsical star

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
I beat it in probably around a week, but in terms of actual playtime it was probably <10 hours. Heavy Press was really easy, rest of the Sacred Grounds was harder; I got to Ballos nearly every time that I got to Heavy Press.