Hell's Narrator

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:44 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Who or what was the narrator of Ballos' story in Hell/Sacred Ground? Anyone got their theories to share?

My theory points to the ghostly dog you meet outside of the seal chamber. Seeing as he beseeched Quote into killing the mad wizard, it seems likely that the dog was the one who educated him in regards to the island's history.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
It was either the dog (I like to call him Courage) or it was just the magical commenter of cavestory. You know, the guy who tells you "You see a button." and "The door won't budge.".

Another theory is, Jenka?

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:25 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I doubt Jenka would refer to herself in third person. I like your second idea most, WoodenRat. Not very imaginative, but most sensible.

SENSIBLITY? THIS IS MIRAI GAMER!

IT WAS CTHULHU NARRATING SACRED GROUND. HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN HELPFUL AND MYSTERIOUS, AND I GET THE FEELING THAT HE'S REALLY OLD, SO HE WOULD KNOW THIS SHIT. HOW HE MANAGED TO SPEAK TO QUOTE IS BEYOND ME, THOUGH. PERHAPS THE SAME WAY KAZUMA'S IRC TRANSMISSION WAS INTERCEPTED?

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
It's not the dog, because you also get a message about Ballos right after the Core fight (assuming, of course, that you've gotten all the requirements for the best ending at that time). That magical blue dog is definitely nowhere near the core.

Cthulu makes the most sense, since he's everywhere at the same time.

Personally, I think Pixel had a huge Ballos storyline set up, but it was just too much for one game. So he compressed it down, put a mysterious narrator in Hell, and bam... you've got your special ending.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:44 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
I was gonna say something smart but eventually I got three people that I suspect. Misery and the core are bot in the ether at that point, thier bodies destroyed, so maybe it was them. Or, Booster is using some computer to tell you this because he is so smart.

No, it's the dog.

Or the Core, that would be cool.
The dog.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:53 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
carrotlord said:
Personally, I think Pixel had a huge Ballos storyline set up, but it was just too much for one game. So he compressed it down, put a mysterious narrator in Hell, and bam... you've got your special ending.
Really? I always thought Ballos and Sacred Ground was something he threw in for kicks, decided he liked it and connected it with the story. If you are a 1337 |-| 4 >< >< 0 |2 and you found the beta development messages, then you might agree. One of them, on the Outer Wall, says Pixel was planning on making the Plantation the final area. A plantation is no good place for Ballos.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:18 AM
Pirate Member
Yeah Sacred Grounds always seemed sort of out of place...Like he made it for the lulz in late development. Its difficulty compared to other parts of cave story is extreme. Plus Ballos looks like a black dude, a black preacher even.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Captain Fabulous said:
Really? I always thought Ballos and Sacred Ground was something he threw in for kicks, decided he liked it and connected it with the story. If you are a 1337 |-| 4 >< >< 0 |2 and you found the beta development messages, then you might agree. One of them, on the Outer Wall, says Pixel was planning on making the Plantation the final area. A plantation is no good place for Ballos.

WoodenRat said:
Yeah Sacred Grounds always seemed sort of out of place...Like he made it for the lulz in late development. Its difficulty compared to other parts of cave story is extreme. Plus Ballos looks like a black dude, a black preacher even.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha XD

That just changed my whole outlook on cave story oh god

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
WoodenRat said:

Well Pixel didn't really think anybody would get to Sacred Grounds on their first run through without looking up a guide or something. By the second time you play through, you'll have much more skill and so Sacred Grounds won't rape you in the face as much as it would have.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:15 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Shadow the Past said:
Well Pixel didn't really think anybody would get to Sacred Grounds on their first run through without looking up a guide or something. By the second time you play through, you'll have much more skill and so Sacred Grounds won't rape you in the face as much as it would have.

On the flip side of that is that it's still hard. i've played cave story through like five times or something and Sacred Grounds still kills me at least five times a day (i hate death traps.) or, i make it through, to get raped by Ballos cause i dont have nearly enough life left, having already used my life pot to get to Ballos without dying. (i hate Butes and normal spikes nearly as much as death traps.)

or maybe, Quote might have been programmed with the knowledge. he was sent to destroy the demon crown, after all. The way it's presented, you could think of the entire game being presented to you as if Quote were telling a story. i dont know, just my idea.

[first post]Hi everyone![/first post]

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Metruler1990 said:
On the flip side of that is that it's still hard. i've played cave story through like five times or something and Sacred Grounds still kills me at least five times a day (i hate death traps.) or, i make it through, to get raped by Ballos cause i dont have nearly enough life left, having already used my life pot to get to Ballos without dying. (i hate Butes and normal spikes nearly as much as death traps.)

or maybe, Quote might have been programmed with the knowledge. he was sent to destroy the demon crown, after all. The way it's presented, you could think of the entire game being presented to you as if Quote were telling a story. i dont know, just my idea.

[first post]Hi everyone![/first post]

ohinewguy

But I still die to Hell constantly, even with my under 4 minute run. (Then again I'm rushing through it so it's to be expected. If I was taking it slow I'd take no damage >_>)

Also, that's an interesting and somewhat logical theory.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM
"Keep on rollin'!"
It's not very mysterious one though. It'd be more fun if no human knew it, but I guess only those that made quote would have to know.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:06 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Alternatively, the player is the narrator. It all makes perfect sense.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM
Pirate Member
RHF64 said:
Alternatively, the player is the narrator. It all makes perfect sense.

Please explain.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:20 AM
"Keep on rollin'!"
Someone proposed that, listen to the people you're talking to.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:57 AM
Pirate Member
thecrown said:
It's not very mysterious one though. It'd be more fun if no human knew it, but I guess only those that made quote would have to know.

um, legends lol.
besides that, some modder could use this topic as bac--- wait, now that i think about it, the concept of the Demon Crown's method of destruction was brought up in a mod (i dont really think it counts, but still) that said the crown could only be destroyed by magical means, and so long as it survived, so does Ballos and vice versa. your magical means happen to come from Misery, in the form of the unused tooth item thing. but, that's getting off topic.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:54 PM
inactive user
Metruler1990 said:
um, legends lol.
besides that, some modder could use this topic as bac--- wait, now that i think about it, the concept of the Demon Crown's method of destruction was brought up in a mod (i dont really think it counts, but still) that said the crown could only be destroyed by magical means, and so long as it survived, so does Ballos and vice versa. your magical means happen to come from Misery, in the form of the unused tooth item thing. but, that's getting off topic.

That was Lost Lands, and I said something like this b4 and Lace got pissed at me for it. :rolleyes: Mods are not canon.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Pirate Member
sixtyseconds said:
That was Lost Lands, and I said something like this b4 and Lace got pissed at me for it. :rolleyes: Mods are not canon.

1. I acknowledged that it was a mod
2. said i wasnt sure if it counted
3. that entire part was a separate tangent, off topic of the thread.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM
inactive user
Metruler1990 said:
1. I acknowledged that it was a mod
2. said i wasnt sure if it counted
3. that entire part was a separate tangent, off topic of the thread.

Nobody said you were wrong. I was just warning lurkers to not make my mistakes. Hello lurkers :eek:

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
WoodenRat said:
"...Ballos looks like a black dude, a black preacher even."

First of all, lol.

Secondly, I'm would I say that Misery was the narrator. But it was an echo of a purer past self. If it was Misery's voice, Quote would be more prone to listen than if it were the voice of a dog. Also, she would talk about herself in the third person because it's a past self. Plus it's a welcome change to the normal meanness Misery represents.