Hell 2 Player

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Kick Ass said:
Yes I think it would be a good idea to keep the doors in. Bueno? I think that idea sounds good. However there is a huge problem with co-op mode is that if someone has to wait they could get killed. Maybe this is part of the fun but considering Hell is meant to be a race I am not sure if having a co-op will work as well.

In Contra the enemies stop coming.
I think the game need 5 modes instead of 3:
Normal mode(1p)
Time attack(1p)
Co-op(2p)
Co-op Time attack(2p)
Co-op race(2p)
What you think?

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Firehead said:
In Contra the enemies stop coming.
I think the game need 5 modes instead of 3:
Normal mode(1p)
Time attack(1p)
Co-op(2p)
Co-op Time attack(2p)
Co-op race(2p)
What you think?

That sounds all good apart from the Co-op time attack. I mean the point of Co-op would still be to get the fastest time. You don't need 2 different modes to do this. In Co-op normal still use the timer. So you only need 3 modes. In Cave story original there is no difference between Normal mode and Time attack. They are the same thing because you have the nakumaru counter. So you will only need 2 modes:
Normal Mode (1p)
Co-Op mode (2p) In this one there should be no Nakumaru timer.
Race (2p) This would be split onto two screens.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
*cough* nikumaru
Well, I think you should just focus on getting multiplayer working for now, that's gonna be the hard part.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:10 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
Sorry... I didn't think i was spelling it right :o
Anyway I was about to edit my post and say that... So thank you :confused:

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Professional Whatever
Heh, uh, no problem. :D

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM
LSD
"..."
Lunar, weren't you trying to figure out how to trigger an event or something when a button is pressed for the Deity project? Maybe it could be used here as well...

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM
Professional Whatever
Was I?
Well, if it's a button pressed by weight, it's a simple process of copying the H/V trigger code (with some editing) to another NPC, and changing its framerects. As for a bullet-activated button, it might be hard. I don't think entities are affected by bullets.
Then there's the obvious 0x2000 trigger.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:07 PM
LSD
"..."
(http://www.cavestory.org/forums/)

I suppose 0x2000 would have a problem, maybe copy the code, and put it in another key as well? Listen to me, I have NO CLUE what I'm talking about.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM
"Huzzah!"
Kick Ass said:
That sounds all good apart from the Co-op time attack. I mean the point of Co-op would still be to get the fastest time. You don't need 2 different modes to do this. In Co-op normal still use the timer. So you only need 3 modes. In Cave story original there is no difference between Normal mode and Time attack. They are the same thing because you have the nakumaru counter. So you will only need 2 modes:
Normal Mode (1p)
Co-Op mode (2p) In this one there should be no Nakumaru timer.
Race (2p) This would be split onto two screens.

i dont think you got what hes trying to say...
but i think modes should be like this -
normal mode (1p) is when one player just goes through hell, with the nikomaru counter normally, so theres no need of time attack (1p) really.
co-op (2p) is when both go though hell together helping eachother, going through hell normally with the nikomaru counter,
and race mode is when the two players are racing through the end of hell,
so they arent in the same map at all, they are in seperate identical maps.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM
LSD
"..."
Voyce said:
i dont think you got what hes trying to say...
but i think modes should be like this -
normal mode (1p) is when one player just goes through hell, with the nikomaru counter normally, so theres no need of time attack (1p) really.
co-op (2p) is when both go though hell together helping eachother, going through hell normally with the nikomaru counter,
and race mode is when the two players are racing through the end of hell,
so they arent in the same map at all, they are in seperate identical maps.

Hmm, what about music though? Say they get to the Ballos fight (say he includes it) at different times, the music would be different for the form of Ballos they're on. Maybe just play the music when one person gets to the Ballos fight?

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM
Professional Whatever
Pigaro said:
(http://www.cavestory.org/forums/)

I suppose 0x2000 would have a problem, maybe copy the code, and put it in another key as well? Listen to me, I have NO CLUE what I'm talking about.

Hm? 0x2000 is the "key press down" flag.

Also, you could just play music for the host (Quote).

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM
LSD
"..."
LunarSoul said:
Hm? 0x2000 is the "key press down" flag.

Also, you could just play music for the host (Quote).

Oh? I thought it was just the D-pad Down key (Or maybe you just said that.)

I guess, but the Ballos experience wouldn't be as fun with normal sacred lands music.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Professional Whatever
I suppose...
Maybe, since it would be co-op, you could force the player that reaches "passage?" first stay in the puppy room until the other player got there.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
Co-op is one screen...You could also make it one person shoot controls and one person movement controls. That would solve the problem of people having to wait for the other player. However in race mode for 2 player the screen is split...

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM
Professional Whatever
Kick Ass said:
Co-op is one screen...You could also make it one person shoot controls and one person movement controls. That would solve the problem of people having to wait for the other player. However in race mode for 2 player the screen is split...

Bad idea. Someone could do that with the regular CS if they really tried. It also will be very unbalanced; the shoot person is just a button masher (the movement person does almost all the work). You would also need to rearrange the keyboard input.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
I know I know...I think however we should concentrate on the race. In co-op it just makes hell easier. It would be quite distracting doing everything on one screen. If anything in hell is going to be 2 player either Hell needs to be edited or it needs to be done on two screens.

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM
LSD
"..."
Oh, here's another thing. If your gonna have controls for both players on one keyboard, you have to change shoot and jump for player one. Just saying.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:43 PM
LSD
"..."
Small idea.
Maybe to reduce glitches, somehow you could compile the 3 first maps into one, and instead of displaying the map name, you could use a MS(2?) instead. So <MOVs instead of <TRAs, except for when you go to 'Passage?' and the place with the Puppy Ghost, and the Ballos fight. That may cut down on glitches. I dunno.

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
I have no idea where fire head has gone... maybe he isn't going to do it after all. Anyone else wanna help? Pigaro? Lunar?

Edit: Firehead are you still gonna do this?