Have you seen this Manga??

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:54 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
One of em looks like a lizard.

Elves and Dwarves? That's a bit of a stretch. I mean, you can have really short people. If there were elves/dwarves, Pixel would have put that in somewhere.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:35 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Robots don't have languages but what their creators give them to communicate with. Thus, if Quote was created by the Japanese (Considering this game was made in Japan we can assume the general culture is Japanese) then we can assume that, if he speaks, he speaks Japanese.

Furthermore, just because a robot speaks one language doesn't mean his hat isn't in another.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:54 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Roonil Wazlib said:
Well, since she is from the surface, she would definitely have at least learnt to distinguish English from Greek.

I can read english from greek :D ..sorta

And that had nothing really to do with anything oh well

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:00 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
As a robot with advanced intellectual capabilities, he probably knows Japanese, English, French, German, Italian, Indonesian, Greek, Aztec, Latin, and quite a few more, including whatever they speak on the island. And who knows where the Sakamoto's are from? Some country where everybody has green hair, I suppose. They might speak Pig Latin where they're from.

All we know is that they speak some language on the island, but for story reasons, it has been translated to English.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Atravir said:
One of em looks like a lizard.

Elves and Dwarves? That's a bit of a stretch. I mean, you can have really short people. If there were elves/dwarves, Pixel would have put that in somewhere.

Actually look at the carvings, I called it a Dwarf because it looked like
one, but even if it is human the one that I called a elf is definitely
NOT HUMAN! It may not be an elf, I just called it that for lack of a
better name.

Osmose said:
Robots don't have languages but what their creators give them to communicate with. Thus, if Quote was created by the Japanese (Considering this game was made in Japan we can assume the general culture is Japanese) then we can assume that, if he speaks, he speaks Japanese.

Furthermore, just because a robot speaks one language doesn't mean his hat isn't in another.

But I am assuming that it automatically translates back into English.

Anyway, the hat should be in English and everyone else in Japanese.

EDIT:
Blackhole said:
Its Assembly. An assembler is used to translate assembly language statements into the target computer's machine code. Its not technically wrong to call it assembler, but assembler really is something completely different then the language itself. Its confusing =\

The robots would on a basic level use computer binary code. Thats how computers work. Now, their programming, which is something completely different (HTML isn't a programing language!), could be in english, but that makes no sense, because all compilers are simply interpreting words into assembly level statements. You can program in japanese too. Pixel knows almost no english, and he programmed Cave Story, didn't he? I might also add that understanding a language has nothing to do with what language its code was written in. Its code, to the robot, is a bunch of binary commands. You'd have to program it to understand language. How the heck they programmed a robot to have free will without using quantum computing is beyond me, but hey, thats what fiction is for.

Also, haven't you noticed in the readme for Cave Story that "error messages may appear in japanese"? I think the very existance of cave story is enough to demonstrate why something doesn't have to be programmed in english.

Bottom line is, language doesn't matter to a robot, and it definatly doesn't explain why the writing on his hat is in english.

I have proof right here.
I was really surprised to find that most of the code is in very readable English! The comments are in Japanese, but all the variables and functions are in English. I expected them to be in Romaji (because C++ identifiers are limited to a subset of ASCII). Japanese programmers deserve some credit for translating and programming at the same time!

This is referring to Pixels own source code.