Have I missed the Cave Story fad?

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:43 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I looked at the maximum users on at once and it said over 300, which is 3x the amount of another forum i frequent, but then I look at the post count and the other forum has 4x as much posts and topics.. Did I come a few years too late?

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:18 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Kaeso said:
I looked at the maximum users on at once and it said over 300, which is 3x the amount of another forum i frequent, but then I look at the post count and the other forum has 4x as much posts and topics.. Did I come a few years too late?
Good question dude. I've only ever seen about 10 membhers online at a time, so 386 seems impossible. I wonder how late we are.

Regardless, you're one of us and I, for one, do enjoy it 'round here. I hope you survive the forums assassins.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:23 PM
I'm going to do everything I can to bring people here, in the other forum i use I have in my sig (right under the Curly Brace banner) the link to the main cave story page and next to that "-Proof that the best things in life are free" if that doesnt attract at least 1 I don't know what will.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Respwnt
Kaeso said:
I'm going to do everything I can to bring people here, in the other forum i use I have in my sig (right under the Curly Brace banner) the link to the main cave story page and next to that "-Proof that the best things in life are free" if that doesnt attract at least 1 I don't know what will.
Good idea. I've recommened CS to more people than I can remember names, but most of 'em found the name and filesize repulsive. And those who did give it a go found it awesome, but they don't frequent the net. So, yeah, my count starts from and still is at 0.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I imagine by 300+ users, it probably includes hundreds of googlebots and guests, and maybe some users...
You may have missed when many new users were coming on at once; and plenty have come and gone, but still people are just discovering Cave Story as you are. Not to mention the regulars probably won't desert us anytime soon :D

So, I'd think now's almost as good as any.

EDIT: and two posts appear by the time I remember to hit submit :D
EDITEDIT: I have tried to advertise Cave Story, and I like to mention it; gotten a few to play through it, but I don't think I've gotten anyone to become a full fleged fan. :D

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:37 PM
This game rules.. IMO it couldve been bigger then Zelda and Mario if it were released on the NES.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:53 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Dude...
Cave Story would of been been bigger than the NES if it'd been relseased on the NES.
I'm thinking of getting CS tattoo on my arm...
And it needs more players.
More players = more mod curiosity = more mods.
And more mods make more inspiration for more mods.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:57 PM
Ah wait thats impossible theres not enough buttons on the NES control.. i suppose you could use start for items n select for map.. well if your willing to bring up the items every time you want to change your weapon it could work.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM
Kaeso said:
Ah wait thats impossible theres not enough buttons on the NES control.. i suppose you could use start for items n select for map.. well if your willing to bring up the items every time you want to change your weapon it could work.
I think it could've worked...

A = Jump
B = Fire
D-Pad = D-Pad
Select (Hold) + Left (Tap) = Change Weapon (Left)
Select (Hold) + Right (Tap) = Change Weapon (Right)
Start = Map
Start x 2 = Items

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM
DragonBoots said:
I think it could've worked...

A = Jump
B = Fire
D-Pad = D-Pad
Select (Hold) + Left (Tap) = Change Weapon (Left)
Select (Hold) + Right (Tap) = Change Weapon (Right)

Start = Map
Start x 2 = Items

That would've made hell significantly harder, unless you do what i do and use the spur shot all they way to ballos, then you have plenty of time to change weapons

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM
Kaeso said:
That would've made hell significantly harder, unless you do what i do and use the spur shot all they way to ballos, then you have plenty of time to change weapons
Well, I never change weapons...
Well, apart from 1 or 2 times (my strategy in hell has always been: get snake to lvl 3, then super missiles lvl 3...).

Once I get to Ballos's 4th form, I basically ignore every key except Z and "UP". Switch to Nemmy, and POUND!

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM
How long does it take to kill Ballos 4 your way? I jump in his eye and spam rockets that takes about 7 seconds from the first shot.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:44 PM
Kaeso said:
How long does it take to kill Ballos 4 your way? I jump in his eye and spam rockets that takes about 7 seconds from the first shot.
Depends.
With Snake I can spam through the rotaplats and hit him for (albeit half) massive damage, takes maybe 6... 7. Not much better.

With Nemmy, it takes 8 to 9.

But I spam though Heavy Press and Ballos 1 and 2 with Missiles...
And ignore the Bute spawn sites.
Saves maybe 30 secs...

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:22 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Kaeso said:
Most likely the "most users online" statistic is broken.
I remember asking why there seemed to have been hundreds of visitors overnight but I didn't get any answer back then.
Neither could I find any site that had recently linked to the forum. No wonder, since there would be no reason to link here as nothing special (CS related) happened around that time, as far as I can remember.

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ive tried to get my friends to try and play cavestory and only 1 found it awesome but he cant be bothered going a forum :X

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:03 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Most likely the "most users online" statistic is broken.
I remember asking why there seemed to have been hundreds of visitors overnight but I didn't get any answer back then.
Neither could I find any site that had recently linked to the forum. No wonder, since there would be no reason to link here as nothing special (CS related) happened around that time, as far as I can remember.
It's most likely the googlebots and other scanning bots. Other fourms I'm in have the same thing happen to them, and fourms that show exactly who is on; can sometimes identify bots. Search engine stuff... There be spyder and other bots crawling around here... At least we don't seem to get any spam :D

[checked other fourms I go to, they have high numbers as well, and I KNOW it wasn't due to actual people on at once; sad as that is :rolleyes:]

EDIT: Most people I show CS to, like it and play for a long time. Then like clockwork when I leave for too long they end up doing other things and don't continue... GRAH!!!

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:24 AM
Cave Story can never die. Only the people who play it.
In all honesty, we need to...
More players ftw.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
xristosx said:
ive tried to get my friends to try and play cavestory and only 1 found it awesome but he cant be bothered going a forum :X
Thats the problem, there are most likely way too many fans out there but as far as the internet is concerned they don't exist since most just lurk on the cs livejournal without posting and others either don't go on forums, make a couple of posts and dissappear or they will lurk here because registering is such a pain in the ass despite it being necessary and unless they see something that they feel is worth them making a post about they will most likely stay lurking. The "Movie Script" thread drew me out when they asked for fanart and I had found a large amount of fanart all in one place a number of months before. The number of members of this forum are not all the cave story fans out there, not even close.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:59 AM
andwhyisit said:
Thats the problem, there are most likely way too many fans out there but as far as the internet is concerned they don't exist since most just lurk on the cs livejournal without posting and others either don't go on forums, make a couple of posts and dissappear or they will lurk here because registering is such a pain in the ass despite it being necessary and unless they see something that they feel is worth them making a post about they will most likely stay lurking. The "Movie Script" thread drew me out when they asked for fanart and I had found a large amount of fanart all in one place a number of months before.
Maybe...
Perhaps if the forum was only semi-public (ie. only walkthroughs or topics in one sub forum), players would join to learn more...
Them maybe if there was some inscentive to stay...
Like...
Something...
They'd stay.

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:29 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Thats the problem, there are most likely way too many fans out there but as far as the internet is concerned they don't exist since most just lurk on the cs livejournal without posting and others either don't go on forums, make a couple of posts and dissappear or they will lurk here because registering is such a pain in the ass despite it being necessary and unless they see something that they feel is worth them making a post about they will most likely stay lurking. The "Movie Script" thread drew me out when they asked for fanart and I had found a large amount of fanart all in one place a number of months before. The number of members of this forum are not all the cave story fans out there, not even close.
I'm a die-hard Cave Story fan.
Gooner for life.
Doukutsu for life.