Hardest Challenge on cave story?

May 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
so i was just wondering how the hardest challenge on cave story would be like, many of us can say the hell with 3hp with level 3 nemesis/level 1 bubbler, but i think that i found the hardest challenge, here it goes:

"Complete the game by getting the best ending (the one where you defeat ballos and save curly) by having only 3hp and stock weapons, without never dying through the game, if you die, you need to start all of over again from the first cave, saving is allowed only if you can't complete the game in one session and also you can refill your health by only killing enemies"

items you can take: polar star, fireball, king's sword, 290 counter, booster 2.0, medals, tow rope etc. (you can take only the weapons that are necessary to advance through the game)

items you can't take: missile launcher, nemesis, snake, machine gun, The Turbo Charge, spur, bubbler, whimsical star, The Arms Barrier

what do you think ? can this be considered the hardest challenge ?

May 10, 2015 at 1:22 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The hardest challenge is to complete the game having made it uncompletable.
(by using the bats to get over Chaco's house then not being able to get the Jellyfish Juice later on)
I'm pretty sure the game is literally impossible to complete without hacking if you do this :)

May 10, 2015 at 1:45 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
q3hardcore said:
(by using the bats to get over Chaco's house then not being able to get the Jellyfish Juice later on)
I'm pretty sure the game is literally impossible to complete without hacking if you do this :)

well that it isn't actually a challenge, it's more like "breaking the game" because if you do it you can't complete the game anymore without using hacks

May 10, 2015 at 3:35 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
q3hardcore said:
First off, no, making a game uncompletable isn't challenge, it's dumb. Unplug your controller and try to beat the game using your unplugged controller. Boy howdy.

Secondly, off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure Santa's key doesn't go away until you specifically pick it up and give it to him, and he waits outside until you do.

May 10, 2015 at 3:47 PM
duncathan said:
It's got nothing to do with Santa's key. Of you talk to MALCO before Chaco spawns the jellies, they'll never spawn.
well i don't know how exact you break the game and when jellies spawns but anyway is still not a challenge

off topic question: sorry if i do this off topic question but i just don't want to create another thread just for my question, did somebody knows what happened to multi cave? the thread is gone and also are the videos on youtube

May 10, 2015 at 3:57 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
MasterQuote said:
off topic question: sorry if i do this off topic question but i just don't want to create another thread just for my question, did somebody knows what happened to multi cave? the thread is gone and also are the videos on youtube
The thread's not gone, it's just been moved

May 10, 2015 at 4:00 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
Beat the game blindfolded, with muted sound, 1 HP, all three endings, upside down, inverted controls, no saving, removing the code that actually gives you the booster 2.0, with only your two pinkie fingers and without a weapon (except in boss/required fights, which will temporarily give you a Nemesis forced at level 3.) Replace Start Point and First Cave with their Death Story counterparts. Obtain these three endings in less than 2 hours. Down an entire Curly Brace every 3 minutes whilst doing this challenge. Don't die IRL.

[/thread]

May 10, 2015 at 4:01 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
well i didn't noticed that, (and also the videos are in their places) thanks m8, but now let's get the to the thread, so what do you think about this "challenge" ? it can be considered the hardest challenge of cave story ? or there is even worst ?

May 10, 2015 at 4:09 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
1 HP. Use only Lv 3 Nemesis on Ballos. Don't use Curly.
Good luck.

May 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
EnlightenedOne said:
Beat the game blindfolded, with muted sound, 1 HP, all three endings, upside down, inverted controls, no saving, removing the code that actually gives you the booster 2.0, with only your two pinkie fingers and without a weapon (except in boss/required fights, which will temporarily give you a Nemesis forced at level 3.) Replace Start Point and First Cave with their Death Story counterparts. Obtain these three endings in less than 2 hours. Down an entire Curly Brace every 3 minutes whilst doing this challenge. Don't die IRL.

[/thread]
I'm pretty sure I won for eternity why is this still an open discussion.
Question refers to "Hardest". Question was answered.

May 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM
Professional Whatever
play a not shitty game

May 10, 2015 at 4:32 PM
Doors said:
play a not shitty game

ok then, "play COD pretending it is a good game" hard enough ?

May 11, 2015 at 12:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
EnlightenedOne said:
I'm pretty sure I won for eternity why is this still an open discussion.
Question refers to "Hardest". Question was answered.
Without the Booster 2.0 you can't do Hell. It's an impossible scenario.
Plus after modding the game you can't really claim it is a Cave Story challenge anymore.
MasterQuote said:
"Complete the game by getting the best ending (the one where you defeat ballos and save curly) by having only 3hp and stock weapons, without never dying through the game, if you die, you need to start all of over again from the first cave, saving is allowed only if you can't complete the game in one session and also you can refill your health by only killing enemies"
You mean a full game 3hp min items speedrun? Most high-end full game speedrunners pick up only one or two quick grab life capsules throughout the game (well up to three if you count the one in hell), get the bare minimum number of items, and do it all without saving or using healing terminals. It isn't much of a stretch if they nixed those extra life capsules and went 3hp all the way, especially since they generally only get hit on purpose when the temporary invincibility or knockback effect can save time.

May 11, 2015 at 4:35 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
beat iron head using bubble line lv. 1 without taking damage

May 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
hmm... how about a minimum kill run? Pacifist except when you have no choice.
Need a kill counter...

May 12, 2015 at 12:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
hmm... how about a minimum kill run? Pacifist except when you have no choice.
Need a kill counter...
Hmm.. we should have any shooting of shootable projectiles included as kills.
No scratch that. Core would be near impossible.

May 12, 2015 at 12:55 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Hmm.. we should have any shooting of shootable projectiles included as kills.
No scratch that. Core would be near impossible.
Assuming you take 2 or 3 hits per cycle, each being no more than 3hp, you should easily be able to do it without killing too many shootables (should cost you 27hp, and at this point you should have 45). However, it becomes troublesome when it comes time to actually kill the core itself, since it's hard to do good damage to the core without having some of those projectiles get killed in the process.

And if you were to code this in as a proper hack, the deaths of shootables would pretty much have to be included, since the easiest way to achieve the hack is to increment the count whenever anything "dies" (i.e. executes the shared code when hp drops below 0 and it calculates dropped hearts/exp).