Gunstar Heroes and Cave Story

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:24 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I was reading my last post regarding one of the bosses from an old Sega Genesis game called Gunstar Heroes and recently rehashed for the GBA as Gunstar Super Heroes and it occured to me that there might be more Cave Story fans that have not played this fantastic game. For those that have never played Gunstar Heroes before, I'm willing to bet that if you enjoyed Cave Story and the types of run and gun, weapon customization style gameplay with lots of interesting bosses to fight, then you'll enjoy playing Gunstar Heroes.

You might notice a lot of similarities from many many of the boss battles in Gunstar Heroes versus those found in Cave Story as well. The way you play the game can be a pretty different as well since you are able to utilize different weaponry that make for very different styles of play, a choice between fixed or moving mode when firing and the ability to customize your weapons into making other weapons.

You start of with four basic weapons of choice, each that can be upgraded to a higher level of performance should you acquire a secondary weapon piece. So for lets say "homing shot" you can either power it up by obtaining another "homingshot" or you can mix it with one of the other weapons, to make a "homing fireball" or "homing laser" or "homing blaster", instead of a laser gun you could make a "laser sword", etc... The options are very open to how you wish to do battle and the battles are extremely fun and everything and I mean EVERYTHING in the game explodes when you shoot at it. lol

It's quite the ride and not only do you get to shoot at your enemies, but you can fight them hand-to-hand (since it is the basic of all combat and only a fool trusts his life to a weapon...) and even throw your enemies as well as catch their grenades and bombs in mid-air and toss them right back at them. What I'm saying is its great and you should go play it right now if you already haven't. And the GBA version is also fun, but not as spectacular as the original.

diph.php

-SkyeWelse

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:38 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I already played it, on the Megadrive and it's great!

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:58 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I havevnt played Gunstar Heroes, but i did play Astro Boy the omega factor, made by the same developers and in the same vein and I loved it! :)

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:34 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I haven't played Gunstar Heroes but since you started mentioning it I've been wanting to play it...

I'll look forward to it : O:)
Oh and what version should I look for? I have a Sega Genesis, but is the GBA version better? [oh and is it 2 players?]

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:36 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
wadeizzle said:
I havevnt played Gunstar Heroes, but i did play Astro Boy the omega factor, made by the same developers and in the same vein and I loved it! :)
Then you should seriously go play it now. : ) I can't provide any links, but it shouldn't be too hard to find the Genesis rom and a Sega Genesis emulator using google. Treasure makes great games.

X-Calibar said:
I haven't played Gunstar Heroes but since you started mentioning it I've been wanting to play it...

I'll look forward to it : O
Oh and what version should I look for? I have a Sega Genesis, but is the GBA version better? [oh and is it 2 players?]

You should play the Sega Genesis version first. The GBA version while being called a sequel to GH is more like a rehash of the first one with a great deal of differences and no, I would say that while the GBA version is really fun, it doesn't come near to the perfection of the original Genesis title. And yes, it is one of the best two player experiences a game like this can offer. Not only can you run and gun with a friend but you can pick each other up and throw each other around, into bad guys making them explode and basically have an all out war with each other during the middle of the action if you so choose to. Just about everytime I've played it, my friends and I would get into throwing matches. It really is a lot of fun, one of the true gems of videogaming history for sure.

-SkyeWelse

May 1, 2006 at 7:18 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
2 Player game in Black's Dice Maze, you'd commonly hear things like "Hey, do I look like a dice to you, @$$?" and "Yoink!" followed by "Hey! It's my turn, idiot". Those were good times.

Why hasn't anyone really tried to clone Seven Force? I mean, you'd think Dr. Robotnik would have stolen the idea quick smart, wouldn't you? I guess Mischief Makers (also by Treasure) did overuse the "Bosses made out of common stage objects" thing, but surely someone's made a boss where you have to face several randomly chosen forms of it in a row...

May 1, 2006 at 12:55 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Ah Yes, my friends and I would waste so much time in Black's Dice Palace preventing each other from throwing the dice and such. That one stage would go on for at least an hour for us due to our screwing around with the system. lol

And I know what you mean, Green and the Seven Force is one of the most interesting boss battles ever in a video game period. I used to enjoy fighting that battle the most since depending on the difficulty setting of the game he might choose 3 random forms or 5 random forms out of a total of 7, making the fight always interesting. I recently found through a speed-run of Gunstar Heroes that if you go through the game on expert mode you fight all seven forms of Seven Force, which is just amazing to watch.

And yeah now that you mention it, no one has cloned that style of boss battle yet, sure they have boss battles that have several forms you have to defeat, but not like the way Green orchestrates it.

-SkyeWelse

May 1, 2006 at 6:05 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Ohh man I loved Gunstar Heroes. All the weapon combinations, all the awesome bosses to fight, and all the fun to be had with friends. Man I wish this game would've gotten a better sequal, the GBA one wasn't too great really.

Regretably though I didn't get to ever play through the entire game with a friend, just the very first part..but I could tell it would've been a heck of a time because we got into throw wars, throwing each other through enemies and off into damage pits alike haha.

I wish there were more good games out there these days..all of the classics seem to be the best to me, I always remember all the fun moments of all the games back then, but so much as now.

May 3, 2006 at 3:36 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Just the first part? As in the first stage? Wow, you should make some time to find it or at least play it on Emulator then for sure. The second stage, The Underground Tunnel and the Seven Force, the fourth stage Black's Dice Palace and the Final Stage are the most impressive stages to see.

-SkyeWelse

May 3, 2006 at 6:18 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Oh I meant I played the entire game by myself, and tried to get my friend to play it with me, but I couldn't hold his attention to the game long enough I guess.

Yeah the Seven Force was an awesome fight and Black's Dice Palace was pretty cool (although everytime I landed on that back to the beginning square x_X)