Geobox Engine getting ready for public use

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:51 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Bionicobot said:
Also, I vote on calling the Cave Story mods for this "Remixes" because they aren't really mods anymore.
I agree with this-After a point, you have to decide what you can call "Cave Story".
Much as I like this engine, I'm thinking of trying a little experiment, and the point is lost if I use Geobox.
But there's borderline cases.
What happens if a ASM mod loads a DLL to perform all the major work?
How much can the Doukutsu.exe file be modded before you consider it "not Cave Story"?

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I truly cannot wait to try this out, it looks fantastic.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:39 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This engine looks extremely powerful and very good.

In fact, it looks marketable.

You could make a good deal of money some day if you sold this.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:47 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
SuperJaws100 said:
This engine looks extremely powerful and very good.

In fact, it looks marketable.

You could make a good deal of money some day if you sold this.
it would have to compete with Unity3D and Unreal Engine, and no offense to the OP but I don't really see that being an option for a solo effort over a limited time period

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:14 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Noxid said:
it would have to compete with Unity3D and Unreal Engine, and no offense to the OP but I don't really see that being an option for a solo effort over a limited time period
Gotta love those mega-corporations. Destroying Strengthening the economy.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:24 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Bionicobot said:
I meant that I may make a port of the multi cave over to here, and so some mods could have multiplayer
I hope you realize multi cave is made in mmf2 and it's not like
A heavily edited doukutsu exe or anything
Porting mods is completely out of the question here, it's just not possible considering how they're both completely different programs

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:27 PM
beep boop
I meant remake it... Sorry.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:49 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Noxid said:
Unreal Engine is for 3D(correct if I'm wrong), and although Unity has a 2D mode, having the cutscene stuff built-in is probably a really useful feature.

It's stuff like HTML5 2D game creation frameworks I think would be the main rivals, since they're tried and tested, some are free, work on basically anything decent(meanwhile, this is somewhat limiting).
And there's a lot more Javascript code out there (physics libraries for example(EDIT:Oh, you have one built-in. Still, I think my point is made...)) than there is Lua.
Finally, people are throwing a lot more money into optimizing Javascript than Lua.

Still, as a "better than trying to revamp the CS engine with a increasingly complex set of modifications" engine, it's fine.
Certainly good enough for the CSTSF, and better to use something we can see the code of(Carrotlord's Doukutsu Assembler won't die, though-"true" CS engine modding will likely stick around, and there'll always be those who simply like the challenge of using ASM even when there's no real point, or know ASM better than C++)

But I wouldn't go with marketable, if only because there's so many HTML5 rivals that work anywhere,while this engine is stuck on Windows, or at best, the Windows/Mac/Unixes set.

Again, though- in comparison to the CS engine, which is basically Windows-only(ports do not support ASM modding for obvious reasons and there's no other way to do a lot of custom behavior), this'll work just fine.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:54 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
this is not going to be used for modding, I can nearly guarantee you, gamemanj

however I am really interested in this whole thing, particularly the prospect of getting the c++ out there

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:47 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Noxid said:
This is what I keep telling people. I have no intention of charging money for this, ever.

Small update. Decided to add an intro screen with that logo on the front. Its just a quick fade in/out in the first scene script.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:26 PM
duncathan said:
this is not going to be used for modding, I can nearly guarantee you, gamemanj

however I am really interested in this whole thing, particularly the prospect of getting the c++ out there
Taking the fact it's supposed to be for Cave Story mods into account, that's probably going to be the case.
Still, I was just noting based on engine alone :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:31 PM
duncathan said:
since when was this supposed to be for mods?
...Isn't this the "Beneath The Surface" engine?
EDIT: I was just noting, that's all!

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:32 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Dunc is right. Its got nothing to do with the original CS engine at all. The term "remix" would indeed be a much better fit than "mod". It's only related to cave story by its current project files. The c++ engine and the lua script framework know nothing of CS (except for a few small c++ classes for quote).

The engine was meant to support games roughly in the style of CS, but it doesnt hold you to that.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:01 PM
"Huzzah!"
Looks like a nice engine; can't wait to try it out. Also, I think if you put a DL on your website, Nicalis might not notice it and you'd be fine, but I guess you can't be too careful. :p I'll still PM though, thanks.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Currently working with Hate9 to get the SD sprites ported into Geobox. The current plan is to get one map working and then do an initial SD release just so people can run it (and I can sleep at night). I hope to be able to keep HD loading ability in though in case you guys want to do HD texture packs yourself.

If anyone wants to jump in and make the process go faster, we'd be grateful, just pm me (or Hate9, either one).

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've always wanted to make a Cave Story "like" game. I hope when this is finished enough and after I learn c++ (I only know a bit of Java) I can get around to doing that. All the vids you posted look nice by the way.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:04 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
TheHamburglar said:
Anyone know how to PM?
You have to make like 10 posts or something, or be here for a week, or both.

Just be presently here and before you know it, the button will appear up top next the notifications.