General Secrets Question

May 11, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi guys, newbie here.

I love Cave Story (only discovered it this year) but I've been told that there's a lot of hidden depth to the game that first time players are likely missing. I've tried looking at a few guides and it becomes immediately obvious that I'm clearly ignorant about a lot in the game.

So I thought I'd ask a fairly open-ended question about the secrets in the game. So far, in my first playthrough I pretty much did the bare minimum. Got 4 (I think) of the main weapons. And then stupidly said 'yes' to escape with that guy on the dragon. End of game.

Now on my second playthrough (3DS version), I've got all of the weapons I think (5). Item-wise, I've got the turbocharge, the arms barrier, the booster v0.8, the air tank.
I've now said 'no' to escaping on the dragon and I'm in the plantation area. So general question. What else is there to get/do? What have I missed?

Thanks in advance for tolerating such a vague and poorly constructed question

May 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
At that point I'd keep playing through to the very end as you are.
But, after you beat it... (sorta vague spoilers ahead)
There are different weapons, and ending changing items you could get for a final playthrough.

On the final playthrough, I might say... keep the Polar Star, save Professor Booster, save your friend, solve graveyard mysteries, turn yourself in if you've stolen anything, and...

gather lipstick, pantsu, and cosplay outfit for a spectacular finale
Make it to the secret final cave.

May 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
You seem to have gotten the "Bad ending" on your first run through.

And right now you are on the road to what is generally referred to as the "normal ending", which I, and many others, recommend you finish before going off on a third run for the third "Best ending".

Here are some spoiler-light tips to access that third ending:
-You don't need to pick up the Booster 0.8
-Find an item hidden in the core room.
-After Curly joins you in the labyrinth, never leave without her (until Ironhead's defeat).
-MAKE SURE you access the cabin in Waterway.
-The object that brings back memories is in the graveyard.
-The "Iron Bond" is a confirmation of your success.
-The last visible door in the "Normal ending" is usually locked, unless you got the Bond.

Spoiler-light tips for additional weapons:
-You can choose to keep the Polar Star for a reason.
-You can eventually reach the very top of Mimiga Village with the items you collect (Easiest method is skipping the Booster 0.8).
-The missing father is also in the graveyard.
-Check the Assembly house fireplace.

Spoiler-light tip for certain items:
-Chaba's Shop in the labyrinth can give you three different items depending on what weapons you carry at the time. Ignoring his offer until your weapon set is different will sometimes yield different offers.

May 12, 2014 at 3:57 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I've done it before as well, but the exactness of it (compared to how simple the alternative is) must have made me temporarily forget it's possibility when I submitted that.

Post fixed.

May 12, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for the replies guys, good to see it's a helpful forum.

I have to say about 50% of your advice still sounds completely alien to me. Can I ask
what the "Iron Bond" is?

May 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Without using spoilers, it is an item you receive after you follow the previous steps in Enlightened's explanation.

If you need more, here are the tips, with more spoilers:
Jump over the section where Booster falls. If you don't talk to him he doesn't die.
The bottom-right section of the Core boss room has a sparkly item named "Tow Rope".
Take curly with you after the boss fight using the tow rope. When you get to the safe room in the Waterway, drain Curly to reboot her and then take her with you (don't leave her in the room).
Curly will later contract amnesia when you see her in the Plantation. Go back to the Graveyard into the room that you couldn't reach without the Booster, and fight the mushroom boss there. (he gives you a useless badge to throw you off; talk to him again after you get it to fight him and get the real item you need.)
Give Curly the mushroom to return her memory, and she will give you a short explanation, as well as the Iron Bond.
After defeating the four "final bosses", since you have the Iron Bond, the small house on the Balcony will be open and you can enter. Once you enter you will be able to save, and you will have access to an extra final area, unlocking the "best ending".

Note that you will need to do each step in order to have access to the next step in the list. For example, if you don't skip Booster 0.8, there will be nothing in the Core boss room.

May 13, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks cat,

Yeah, I'm not too worried about spoilers now. Having finished it twice already, I kinda feel like I've got most of the enjoyment out of the story. Just wanna see what all of the items and weapons do now!

Not many games compel me to aim for 100% but this seems to be one of them.