Games from your childhood (that gave you nightmares)

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Remember the games you played when you were young? They were simple (though insanely hard), with beepy music, colorful graphics and little to no stories whatsoever. But sometimes these games tended to be a bit scary. Sometimes, an enemy or an item was so scary, it made you want to crawl under your bed and cower in fear. This thread is dedicated to those games:
Note: Please only talk about what scared you personally, not what is commonly percieved as scary. Thank you.

I? Well, one of the things that sent shivers up my spine every time I've seen it was this:
p90234-0-reptonegg.png

An egg. Specifically, this is the egg from a ZX Spectrum game Repton, where you run around the levels and collect diamonds. Kinda like Boulder Dash, but there are differences. Just seeing the egg made me jump. Actually, it still does. You wouldn't believe it, but everything about the egg scares me. How yellow it is, how big it is, how it just sits there and blocks my way to that one diamond, how it breaks when you drop it, that "Pop!" sound it makes when it breaks, but especially what happens after it breaks. And what happens is that this comes out:
p90234-1-reptonmonster.png

HOLY SHIT A MONSTER! It's supposed to be a reptile, but it looks more like an alien. And this fucker haunts me from the day I first played the game. He moves at the same speed that the player character does and he heads straight for you. Yeah, this is not some stupid Goomba, this one pretty much says "I'm going to kill you." And the only way to get rid of it is to flatten it with a boulder. What doesn't help at all is the fact that these would often get stuck behind walls, and the only way to get them to follow you was to lure them around the wall with your own body. I've never finished the game, partly because of the insanely hard level structure, and partly because of them. Now excuse me, I have some weeping in the fetal position to do.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:19 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Legend Of Zelda - Majoras Mask

The scene at the begginig where he turns into a thing!
here

Skip to 4:21

that seriously scared the crap out of me

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Oh boy, do I have some stories to tell. Biggest one was this game called Lemmings. It was an old game where you had to guide these little green-haired people to the exit of various hellish landscapes. Now the catch is along the way, there were all sorts of painful excruciating ways for them to die, many of which were very violent or sometimes even gory, such as giant spinning blades, beartraps that decapitated them, giant presses that would suck them in and squirt blood out the other end...

Everything about the graphics and music used to scare the hell out of me. There was even one stage that consisted entirely of bones and dripping blood. And this was all wrapped in the appearance of a innocent kid friendly game.

With some recent research and replaying, I even found there was a level that was nothing more than 3 giant sixes, and every number for everything (time, pecentage to be saved, etc) were 666. It had to be removed from almost all ports of the game.

This game is from hell I tell you.

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
No games gave me nightmares... but what seriously could make me jump in fright was this old dos game called 3-Demon. I need to youtube it !

Basically it's like Pac Man... except in 3D.
It's much more scary this way :D

Imagine dark colorless halls, which you are picking up coins off the ground. And then you turn the corner and in the distance you see a giant ghost with a mouth... coming towards you.
And if you are unlucky enough to get too close, they get closer and closer and the mouth gets bigger and bigger until BOOOOM
All you see is a giant mouth CHOMPING YOU! [the game then wipes the screen and you have to start over again elsewhere in the maze until you run out of lives...]

That was pretty scary!

Oh and once you collect enough coins [don't have to get ALL of them, since the ghosts are stalking you badly] You can press UP to warp out of the level into the next level. So basically it's a race against time, and each level is a little more difficult... such as everything moving faster; You... and the enemy.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM
meep
Also, redeads. Don't even get me started on redeads.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:19 AM
"Huzzah!"
what's a redeads?

those green jellyfish... THOSE-GREEN-3-EYED-THREE-FANGED-JELLYFISH-AAAAAHHHH-FUCKING-METROIDS-AAAHH
sorry for swearing...

I can't believe I got scared playing that when I was 7.. pathetic

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:43 AM
meep
Redeads were these zombie-like enemies in Ocarina of Time, they freeze you with their stare making a horrible scream sound, slowly walk towards you, and bite your fucking neck. All while making creepy moaning noises.

Essence of fear right there.

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:27 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is going to sound crazy, and probably even more so to anyone who's played this game.
Remember The Emperor's New Groove? Great movie. They made a really great game out of it, too. I loved that game so hard... it was fantastic, and I'm not just saying that out of nostalgia. Anyway, near the end you would have to fight guards that were turned into animals, like cows or gorillas. And for some reason I will never understand, the gorillas freaked the piss out of me. The cows I stopped being afraid of, but the gorillas... they were big, dark, made horrible grunting noises and were extremely hard to kill. For me, anyway. I was 11 or something.
Also, the first time I played Ocarina of Time I was scared shitless of Hyrule field at night, and I couldn't even go in the crypt. Thank god I never got far enough to fight a Redead until I was much older and had conquered my fear of zombies. Yeah, I used to be afraid of zombies and anything like them until I bought the Zombie Survival Guide.
So, those are the only times non-horror video games have scared me.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:22 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
I freaked when I saw Metroids coming at me. Those freaking metroids ALWAYS killed me when I was little. I never knew something like that could move so damned fast.

The Mother Brain was the freakest thing I had ever seen when I little, I had nightmares for weeks after those two damn things.

Then came those damned, screeching, moaning redeads. Good lord, they freaked me out so bad I had to turn the game off.

Little nemo is also evil. The whole game scared the shit outta me and I still have yet to figure out why.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:52 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shudder*

I'm not sure if this would really count, since I played it a little late to be in my childhood, but it still scared me a bit, and if I had been even younger, it would've given me nightmares for a long time o.o;
I'm talking about Gigyas, the final boss from Earthbound, also called Mother 2.
Spoilers, though, since it's the final boss and all.
The standard Nintendo lore:
Giygas was raised from infancy by a woman named Maria and her husband George, both of whom were abducted from Earth in 1909. During this time, George studied the aliens' PSI powers without their permission, culminating with his escape back to Earth. Once he matured, Giygas was tasked by his people to ensure that PSI never spread onto Earth. However, Giygas did not want to betray those who raised him, particularly Maria. In the end, he was forced to detach himself from Maria and begin preparations for the invasion of Earth.

Eighty years later the invasion begins, although Giygas is confronted by the great-grandson of Maria and George, Ninten, and his companions. Before the two can fight, Giygas, still hurt by the loss of Maria, offers Ninten to come with him back to his home planet, signifying that the only thing he really wants in life is companionship. Ninten declines this offer though, and Giygas is forced to attack. Ninten then sings a song once shared between Maria and Giygas, and the comforting memories he had suppressed weakens Giygas. The latter surrenders and retreats, but not without promising to take revenge on Ninten.

Giygas returns to Earth many years later as the primary antagonist of EarthBound, though he vastly differs from his appearance in Mother. In the time between invasions, Giygas gains such tremendous evil power that it destroys his entire being, including his mind, causing him to become undefinable by human standards. As such, Giygas manifests as what can only be described as pure evil; in Pokey Minch's words, "he is the Evil Power." Due to the loss of his mind, Giygas becomes irrational and incapable of thought. In the final battle, Pokey attests that Giygas isn't aware of himself or what he is doing, referring to him as "an all-mighty idiot." This is highly reminiscent of the Lovecraftian god Azathoth, who is referred to as the "Blind Idiot God."

Now wielding a vast cosmic power which he is unable to control, Giygas becomes a threat to the existence of the universe itself. Ten years after the beginning of EarthBound, Giygas initiates the apocalypse. The only known being who manages to escape destruction is an alien insectoid named Buzz Buzz, who travels back in time ten years and warns Ness of the impending catastrophe. Ness is given the Sound stone and instructed to record the Eight Melodies in order to gain the power of the Earth and be strong enough to face Giygas.

In Ness' present-day, Giygas' influence is seen throughout the Earth, mainly in the form of enemies that Ness encounters. Now existing as the whole of evil power in the universe, Giygas is able to manipulate the evil in the minds of living beings, both human and animal, and he can apparently manipulate even the forms of inanimate objects.

In the final battle, Giygas is held within the Devil's Machine, a machine created to contain Giygas' tremendous power. During the battle Pokey shuts the machine off, causing all of Giygas' power to be unleashed; an event that surrounds the five children in a chaotic, bizarre dimension of darkness. His attacks are random and incomprehensible, and his speech is erratic and mindless. He is eventually defeated after Paula calls out to the people of the Earth to pray (including the player), and the combined prayers reach Giygas and exploit his weakness, which turns out to be human emotions (possibly due to his loss of Maria). He fades into nothingness, and his apocalyptic future is erased.
If you didn't read the Nintendo Lore, you should at least check the final paragraph to understand the final battle.
Not only does the guy scare the hell out of you because of just how he looks
p90244-0-giygas1.png
the music just sends shivers down your spine.
Listening to it now still makes me want to look over my shoulder and check the darkest corners.

Now, the stated reason for Giygas' creation by Itoi, the creator of Earthbound, is that when Itoi was only a child, he accidentally walked in on a rape scene in a movie theater. {"The Military Policeman and the Dismembered Beauty"}
That explains Giygas' odd speech during the final battle, such as:
It hurts, Ness...
...I'm h...a...p...p...y...
...go... b... a... c...k...
I feel... g... o... o... d...
...I'm so sad...
Ness! Ah, Grrr, Ohhh... Argh... Yaaagh!... It's not right... not right...
not right...

Yeah, that'd scare any little kid playing this game.
There's also the theory {Though it's rather out-of-date now, it still creeps the hell out of me} that when you went to fight Gigyas....well....just look at this image:
p90244-1-1199338712508.jpg

Also note the picture on the right.
That's his final form image, which is just the second form tiered, but the black spots somehow have the eeriest resemblance to a baby....
Yeah, scary as hell, right?

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:18 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Off the top of my head, Alice. But I love it and still play it, and it is still scary.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
Pokemon's seizure episode, Electric Soldier Porygon..

Seriously, this episode gave 685 children seizures..

And know that i know what seizures look like... CREEPY it is..

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Uh... yeah, but that's not a game.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
My corrupt Duck Hunt/Mario Bros. NES cart...
-Shudders-
You know the dog?
It'd pop up in the middle of nowhere and scare the shit out of me... In the dungeon, no less!

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
X-Calibar said:
No games gave me nightmares... but what seriously could make me jump in fright was this old dos game called 3-Demon. I need to youtube it !

Basically it's like Pac Man... except in 3D.
It's much more scary this way :rolleyes:

Imagine dark colorless halls, which you are picking up coins off the ground. And then you turn the corner and in the distance you see a giant ghost with a mouth... coming towards you.
And if you are unlucky enough to get too close, they get closer and closer and the mouth gets bigger and bigger until BOOOOM
All you see is a giant mouth CHOMPING YOU! [the game then wipes the screen and you have to start over again elsewhere in the maze until you run out of lives...]

That was pretty scary!

Oh and once you collect enough coins [don't have to get ALL of them, since the ghosts are stalking you badly] You can press UP to warp out of the level into the next level. So basically it's a race against time, and each level is a little more difficult... such as everything moving faster; You... and the enemy.

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/3-demon/

played it for 3 minutes, so confusing lol >>;

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
played it for 3 minutes, so confusing lol >>;
lol! awesome... [you found it]

Did you get lost? And I hope you played it in black background color mode... :rolleyes:
I should make a youtube video of it... lol

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Ecco The Dolphin for the sega genesis. Not only is it one of the best( and hardest) games i've ever played, the last level gave me nightmares and the story in general makes me wince.