Jun 18, 2021 at 3:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i tried setting it to open in 640x480 but it didn't do anything

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:20 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I can only assume this is an issue with not confirming your options. Would you mind sending a screenshot of what your DouConfig looks like?

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:47 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Maybe there's an option in your graphics card settings? Like Nvidia control panel -> Adjust desktop size and position; in how it deals with resizing? And/or if your monitor handles resizing, an option in monitor settings?

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:01 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Maybe there's an option in your graphics card settings? Like Nvidia control panel -> Adjust desktop size and position; in how it deals with resizing? And/or if your monitor handles resizing, an option in monitor settings?
tried those, didn't work. i think the main issue is that it seems to be opening in 1080x1920

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:12 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Try both the "Full 24-bit" and "Full 32-Bit" options in DoConfig.exe. Do either of those options appear to work?

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:30 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Does Mod Loader fix that issue, by any chance? Cuz if it does, then maybe that can be an option?

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:12 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Try both the "Full 24-bit" and "Full 32-Bit" options in DoConfig.exe. Do either of those options appear to work?
you said that already... and i answered that already...
Does Mod Loader fix that issue, by any chance? Cuz if it does, then maybe that can be an option?
what mod loader

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The game is already in what it thinks is fullscreen. There is something in between the game and your monitor making it so that it only occupies the corner. It could be your video card settings, or it could be your monitor - either way, it's not resizing whole screen like intended. A temporary solution would be to change your monitor size to 640x480 and then trying to play it in fullscreen (or just play in windowed :))

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:48 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
you said that already... and i answered that already...
Whoops. That must have been an internet error sending that through twice.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The game is already fullscreen. It doesn't change the game's window size to 1080p/whatever your monitor is, it just changes your screen size to 640x480. Your monitor or your graphics card is not resizing the screen to fill your monitor like it usually should.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
well, on computers where the game scales as it should, when the windows key is pressed the taskbar is much larger, as it should be in 640x480. on my new computer it's the usual size

i guess i'll try the graphics settings

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 3:40 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It's not the game that's scaling. It attempts to set the monitor to the resolution of the game. Your graphics card configuration might be explicitly disallowing the resizing of the screen outside its own control panel or by some function calls. If the rest of the screen isn't black (i.e. you can see stuff that's not Cave Story), you are going to have to explore some other means of fixing it outside of what the game & DoConfig offer. If somehow you can't change some GPU config to fix it, you can use CSE2 Enhanced as a very last resort (unless you want to play with enhancements, that is). CSE2E resizes the window to fit the screen, but the renderer responsible for it may incorporate some ugly stretching/scaling/black bezels.

I have included a copy of CSE2E. It has been compiled for you. You should be able to run it with no problems out of the zip.

Attachments

• CSE2E-win-en.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 5:58 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
For a more vanilla-like experience you're probably looking for CSE2 Portable instead, which is exactly like vanilla, but with different rendering and sound backends, making it easily portable to other systems and just not dealing with the mess that is Win32.