Free hacks!

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:41 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Wow, thanks Dooey! I found out how to make the fireball weapon shoot like I wanted it to. I just changed the gravity to 10, also making it un-bouncy. Works perfectly. I even set up a custom sound effect for it too! lol. Anyways, I'm curious, but would it be possible to add smoke to the fireball bullets? (Like the Nemesis at lvl 1). Thanks for your awesome guide, hopefully there will be more weapons shown.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:52 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ralren said:
Wow, thanks Dooey! I found out how to make the fireball weapon shoot like I wanted it to. I just changed the gravity to 10, also making it un-bouncy. Works perfectly. I even set up a custom sound effect for it too! lol. Anyways, I'm curious, but would it be possible to add smoke to the fireball bullets? (Like the Nemesis at lvl 1). Thanks for your awesome guide, hopefully there will be more weapons shown.

It is possible Ralren, but you might need more space to call the function for creating the npc (smoke). You'd just need a jump to an empty space, I guess. Dooey could do it. I could do it too (prbbly) but I am not-as-helpful as dooey.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:04 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Ralren said:

GIR pretty much said it, I can help you do that, but thats a bit beyond what I'm going to do at the moment. It would take me a good 3-4 hours to do that, and if I was trying to walk someone else through the process it would take 3 to 4 times as long. I'm far too busy to take that much time right now. I would recommend starting slowly, for example right now the fireball moves straight out when you shoot it forwards or backwards. Some good practice might be trying to make it go out and up at the same time. Another thing you could try to do is find some of the constant values for weapons other than the ones posted here. The snake LV1 would be a good one to start with, you can find the location of its code in the weapon hacking topic/.txt

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:07 AM
Assistance
Agh, sorry for my recklessness, I was going a bit way over myself. I completely understand that it would take time, and I don't want you to get into that just for me. Thanks again Dooey, i'll do some hunting for the expression values then. Once more, I apologize, haha.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
OMG thankyou soooo much dooey ur my hero!!! One more tiny little thing although this should be easier I think. I want to decrease the HP of Ballos' final form to about half of what it is.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Thats actually substantially harder because the code for ballos is huuuuggggeee and I don't know where his final form starts. With the red bute things, they are only created once, and its really easy to tell where an NPC is created, so I just looked for all the functions that created NPCs, found the one that creates the red sword butes, and deleted it. For the smoke, I just deleted the nearest smoke creating NPC, and happened to get it right on the first try. In other words, to change the health I would have to spend a lot of time searching, rather than just looking at all possible things to change and making an educated guess.

General rule of thumb for assembly hacking: things you think should be easy are usually pretty hard, and things that you think should be hard are also pretty hard.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM
graters gonna grate
Well, thanks anyway but I fortunately found an alternative to giving him less health (I just decreased the damage of the archer butes and their arrows).

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:44 PM
why did that work?

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:38 PM
graters gonna grate
The reason I wanted to give him less health is 'cause he's way too difficult otherwise (you only have 35 hp when you fight him which is significantly less than the 55 hp you have in cs, and you also don't have a life pot). But decreasing the damage made him not too difficult.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:18 PM
i meant why did decrassing the butts damage change his?

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM
graters gonna grate
What? Now you really lost me...

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:18 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
*shrugs*

Anyway... I've got another hack I wanna do, and this time it's to do with the machine gun. I want to tinker with how far it pushes you up when you shoot down with it, but I can't find the offset for the machine gun anywhere.

I found little jem hidden in the middle of the offsets thread...

dooey100 said:
So say you wanted to make a gun that gives quote an upwards boost when you fire, you could use:

MOV EAX,[49E670]
ADD EAX,1000
MOV [49E670],EAX

Will I be looking for a process similar to that in the machine gun's code?

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
So, um, I don't suppose anyone actually has the offset for machine gun so I can see what's in there?

Edit: I am not a doughnut anymore ^_^ yay

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
So, um, I don't suppose anyone actually has the offset for machine gun so I can see what's in there?

Edit: I am not a doughnut anymore ^_^ yay

From the Cave Story FTP itself... WeaponHack.txt.

This contains the assembly offsets for most, if not all, weapons.

If you ever need more offsets or modding info check out the Cave story FTP for more offsets and stuff. It'll be under info in the FTP, btw.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:36 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Hm, Didn't know about that.

I found an un-updated version of that document on the CS tribute site... it lists the following:

Assembly:

0x????? - Machinegun level 1
0x????? - Machinegun level 2
0x????? - Machinegun level 3

So, Thanks!

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:13 AM
yeah...
sp is helpful like that. ^^

but from my notes, most probably a dooey and/or runelancer original:
0x047B0 - Polar Star (all levels)

0x04B30 - Fireball (all levels)

0x05120 - Machinegun (all levels)

0x055A0 - Missile Launcher (all levels)

0x05F30 - Bubbler level 1
0x09190 - Bubbler level 2
0x064D0 - Bubbler level 3

0x068B0 - Bubbler level 3 shot
0x075E0 - Blade level 3 slash
0x078A0 - [unused]

0x06BB0 - Blade level 1
0x06E60 - Blade level 2
0x07110 - Blade level 3

0x07910 - Super Missile Launcher (all levels)

0x08230 - Nemesis (all levels)

0x08710 - Chargeless spur (all levels)

0x08AE0 - Non moving spur (all levels)

0x08230 - Spur level 1
0x08F40 - Spur level 2
0x08F90 - Spur level 3

Snake Ops for curvy thing - one for each direction. presumably alternates fireball things.
4045CE - lr down
4045DA - lr up
40460E

at 0x409052 you will see about 45 calls to different functions.
these are the bullets for each weapon. some have only one parameter - these are unique weapons.

0040914C E8 CF BF FF FF call 00405120
modify as per weapon.

00408AE0

that should be much more helpful. :eek:

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:44 AM
Assistance
I'm very sorry for the asinine question, but what program is used for these expressions? There isn't any 0x????? (0x06E60) located in the Assembler (OllyDbg). I even tried to find it on the Hex Editor, but it just pointed to the first Hex Strip.

Is there any difference between a Dis Assembler or Assembler?
I'm quite confused. Sorry for your time, I'm just curious.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
The document I was citing was old, before they knew what the offset for MG was, so they just used ?????? to indicate that. It's what was listed as the offset of almost every weapon... (because there were almost no known offsets I guess)

0x05120 - Machinegun (all levels)

Is the correct offset, as noted by Lace above. Didn't mean to confuse ya with that :D