Freakishly Easy Cave Story

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:57 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Alright, so I have a friend named Liam who is literally incapable of playing Cave Story without dying every ten seconds.

As such, I created this short, crappy mod for him. This is terrible. I know. But I figured I might as well post it for anyone with that special friend who wants to play Cave Story REALLY BADLY but sucks at it.

Freakishly Easy Cave Story
Download it here.

Major changes:
  • Nemesis now does 127 damage at Level 3.
  • All weapons have their damage doubled.
  • Some enemies and all bosses (not including Room Bosses) have had their HP halved.
  • Added several helpful signposts.
  • Added "Zuko's Guide to the Special Ending" in the bookshelf in Arthur's House.
  • Starting HP is now 50.
  • Made many jumps easier.
  • Edited the death scripts.
  • Added Outer Wall teleporter.
  • Added a few Easter Eggs from Doctor Who, because Liam and I are both avid fans.
Be warned, this story has mild language.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:00 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is original

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:04 AM
scrungy
This is one of those things you don't put on a public forum

Edit: Shit this was not what I wanted my 500th post to be
Edit Edit: Sorry if that sounded mean.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:09 AM
Professional Whatever
It may have sounded harsh but what Aar said is true
We've seen more than our fair share of mods making cave story more difficult, easier, or more stupid. These kinds of mods are good for practice, but not really necessary to post here.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:14 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I've got to agree with them too...

Although not being guided was kinda what made Cave Story (and a shit ton of other Metroidvania and Rpg games) fun, especially that feeling you get when you discover something new... (I say that in response to the fact you added signposts that give you more info, and a guide on how to get the 3rd ending)

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:14 AM
War criminal
Hey, we now have something to use for Twitch Plays Cave Story, considering the spam and accidental button inputs that'll kill Quote being gone now thanks to this mod.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:17 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
p194073-0-gu0ll.png

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:18 AM
Forever 12
TLincoln said:
Hey, we now have something to use for Twitch Plays Cave Story, considering the spam and accidental button inputs that'll kill Quote being gone now thanks to this mod.

Its possible to beat an rpg game like Pokemon via a twitch stream because reaction time is something you don't have to deal with much... most traditional Rpgs (turn based) don't require reflexs or fast reactions...

I just can't imagine twitch playing a game like cave story... I doubt they'd get past the 1st Cave.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:29 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Parkraft123 said:
Its possible to beat an rpg game like Pokemon via a twitch stream because reaction time is something you don't have to deal with much... most traditional Rpgs (turn based) don't require reflexs or fast reactions...

I just can't imagine twitch playing a game like cave story... I doubt they'd get past the 1st Cave.
I remember seeing an input style Twitch channel for Hyrule Warriors and it was okay.
And I gotta agree with Aar here.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:02 AM
I take absolutely no offense from any of this. I fully knew that this is shit, it's not a good representation of my modding skills. Also, to Parkraft, I don't think you understand just how BAD this guy is at this game. I have to hold his hand the whole way through.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:19 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
if it seems like someone is so bad at platformers they die nearly every ten seconds in cave story, then you'd might as well just show him the ultimate Doukutsu Trainer. the best cheat program that gets you everything you need to get your Dog to be able to beat cave story.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:40 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pretty much we have the Ultimate Doukutsu Trainer to help us out, but admit this is a great start.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
There's nothing particularly wrong with making a thread for something such as this, although somebody making a new thread for every minimod they create can get to be a little much.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:46 PM
Goerge Bobicles said:
if it seems like someone is so bad at platformers they die nearly every ten seconds in cave story, then you'd might as well just show him the ultimate Doukutsu Trainer. the best cheat program that gets you everything you need to get your Dog to be able to beat cave story.
Don't even get me started.

I sent him the Trainer file.

He lost it.

LITERALLY he could not find it in the 100+ files in his Downloads folder.

And he couldn't figure out how to work it.

At this point I think I might just make a gameplay-free mod for him. Like a sort of Cave Story movie, if you will, using the Cave Story engine.

Not sure how that'd work out... has it been done before?

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
SuperJaws100 said:
Don't even get me started.

I sent him the Trainer file.

He lost it.

LITERALLY he could not find it in the 100+ files in his Downloads folder.

And he couldn't figure out how to work it.

At this point I think I might just make a gameplay-free mod for him. Like a sort of Cave Story movie, if you will, using the Cave Story engine.

Not sure how that'd work out... has it been done before?
Someone made Dad story once which was a mod so easy your dad could beat it. But if your friend is so bad at cave story he has to play a mod with absolutely no gameplay, and he still wants to witness the story(of which I'm asuming is the reason why you're doing this), he should just watch a no-commentary playthrough on youtube.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:12 PM
Goerge Bobicles said:
Someone made Dad story once which was a mod so easy your dad could beat it. But if your friend is so bad at cave story he has to play a mod with absolutely no gameplay, and he still wants to witness the story(of which I'm asuming is the reason why you're doing this), he should just watch a no-commentary playthrough on youtube.
Fair enough.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:49 PM
2dbro
I have a friend named Kevin who tried Rave Story.
Yeah, it didn't go well.
But now this, thank you.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:43 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Is your friend good at playing any video games in general, or is it just Cave Story he fumbles at?

Come to think of it, I sure hope you are giving him the time and space to play and enjoy the game alone. Or could it be that he is just not interested in the game?