Fix the translation..?

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:45 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Heheh..

andwhyisit said:
Though looking up Doryaa it seems to be more of a battlecry than an exclamation of joy, though I could be wrong.
VoidMage_Lowell said:
*And as the two huge human waves begin their descent down the hills, their battle cries clash before them....*
:D
I wonder if Huzzah will be kept because of either the first unofficial translation, fan attachment to the unofficial translation, or because it's just the best translation....

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Been here way too long...
It's going to be Huzzah. Definitely. Because it wasn't mistranslated, there simply wasn't a translation for it. Everyone who plays the WiiWare version, at least the English one, will have seen the AG translation.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:00 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
As far as I'm concerned, Huzzah is a lie. It never was the truth, and it shall forever haunt me. There can only be one, and that one is DOORRRYYYAAA!!! I can only do Balrog justice by using this as his catchphrase. Anything else is untrue to his original spirit.
[/melodrama]

Also, Cap'n Fab. You can't be completely sure that EVERYONE who plays wiiware cavestory will have first played the AG translation. There might be some people who will play the wiiware first. In fact, there may be a lot of people. I'd be estatic to see "DOORRRYYYAAA!!" as balrog's phrase in wiiware.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:02 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
As far as I'm concerned, Huzzah is a lie. It never was the truth, and it shall forever haunt me. There can only be one, and that one is DOORRRYYYAAA!!! I can only do Balrog justice by using this as his catchphrase. Anything else is untrue to his original spirit.

So you refuse to accept the entire English translation of Cave Story? Because while maybe most parts are translated word-for-word, a lot of things are going to be changed, and you'll never know which ones unless you can read Japanese.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:04 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Well, "Doryaa!" makes no sense in English, while everyone should know what "Huzzah!" means. "Doryaa!" may sound better, but still, the main point of translating something is to make sure that people not speaking the original language will understand the translated subject. Hence, I presume that "Huzzah!" will stay.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:10 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Translating = Blah

Translating on a whole is hell, especially when dealing between two languages like Japanese and English.
For one of their words, we might have 5 versions.
For one of our words, they might not have an equivalent.
Want a really good example?
This is Misery's MUGEN document, computer translation from Japanese to English.
Now you should have an idea of why mistranslations are so common...

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:13 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
-_-.....

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
[/melodrama]

Didn't anyone notice THAT (up there) part of my post? I used it to state that I was being overdramatic for the first part of the quote, in an exaggerated manner. To be honest, I don't really care THAT MUCH. I thought it would be a more amusing read for you forum-goers if the first part was a bit melodramatic, then put the [/melodrama] there to show that I was not being serious about that.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:17 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Whoa...

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-_-.....
Didn't anyone notice THAT (up there) part of my post? I used it to state that I was being overdramatic for the first part of the quote, in an exaggerated manner. To be honest, I don't really care THAT MUCH. I thought it would be a more amusing read for you forum-goers if the first part was a bit melodramatic, then put the [/melodrama] there to show that I was not being serious about that.
Hey, I was just trying to be helpful to everyone by showing how something like this happened....

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Huzzah is as close as you are going to get. And it is pretty close. There is no real English word for Doryaa.

No translator that cares about their job would ever be stupid enough to put "Doryaa" into an commercial English translation.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:29 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Hey, I was just trying to be helpful to everyone by showing how something like this happened....

Actually that was not aimed at you Lowell, I started typing that before your comment showed up on my screen. Not to mention your post was not really aimed at my exaggerated pledge to "DOORRRYYYYAAAA!".

And yes, translating is a bitch (especially if you're trying to use an electronic translator like google to go between 2 radically different languages). The main problem with going inbetween japanese and english however, is just the syntax of the two languages. The grammar of the two languages are not anything alike, really. For example, in english you might say "Where is the dog?". However, in japanese you would say "inu wa doko ni imasuka" which is literally "dog is where existing?" because of the way they organize their verbs and such. The electronic translator will have difficulty trying to translate and reformat the sentence, thus we get inconsistencies. All in all, the point is that the 2 languages have very different grammatical structures.

andwhyisit said:
No translator that cares about their job would ever be stupid enough to put "Doryaa" into an commercial English translation.

You've got a point there. Guess I'll just have to satisfy my need for complete absolute correctness by playing the original in japanese. Ahhh, but only if I knew enough japanese to completely understand it.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:39 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oo oo

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
And yes, translating is a bitch (especially if you're trying to use an electronic translator like google to go between 2 radically different languages). The main problem with going inbetween japanese and english however, is just the syntax of the two languages. The grammar of the two languages are not anything alike, really. For example, in english you might say "Where is the dog?". However, in japanese you would say "inu wa doko ni imasuka" which is literally "dog is where existing?" because of the way they organize their verbs and such. The electronic translator will have difficulty trying to translate and reformat the sentence, thus we get inconsistencies. All in all, the point is that the 2 languages have very different grammatical structures.
Oh yeah, should have pointed that out XD
I'm learning Spanish, and it's grammatical structure differs, too....
Just not as much as Japanese XD
For instance, there's no apostrophe {If I spelt that right}, the ', in Spanish.
So, instead of "The Mother's Daughter", it'd be "The Daughter of the Mother"
Or something like that :D

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:25 AM
That's how French works, too. And just about every language that isn't English.
Yeah, I know French, because I'm Canadian. You have to learn it all the way through high school.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:31 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
You have to learn it all the way through high school.

No you don't. At least not where I live (in canada). The reason I'm learning japanese is because I'm taking it in highschool.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:32 AM
Shhh, you're supposed to let the others figure out if that's true or not. You ruin all my Canadian fun.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:46 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Argh!!

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
The reason I'm learning japanese is because I'm taking it in highschool.
You lucky bastard.
All I got to choose from was French, German, or Spanish.....

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
You lucky bastard.
All I got to choose from was French, German, or Spanish.....

So you rejected German? fail.
Anyways:
Place your bets, Gentlemen.

It's 2:1 for Huzzah.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Schokobecher said:
Anyways:
Place your bets, Gentlemen.

It's 2:1 for Huzzah.
I like Doryaa more, but I bet on Huzzah.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

JacobX891 said:
No. From what I've heard, Japanese is a BITCH.
Yeah, it is.
Which is why I'd like to start learning it for free at school, instead of paying hundreds of dollars for learning programs...
Besides, do you know where all of the best games and animes come from?
Japan. :eek:

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This being a translation topic, i figured i'll post this funny typo

Sue when talking to igor:
"Go ahead and try! Even my brother's never lost to me!!"
doesn't that mean he always won?

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM
That funny typo is actually your own. The line is: