Fix the translation..?

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:50 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
We know the real password to the room in the plantation, Grasstown's rightful name, and a bunch of other random things here and there, plus we have the tools to edit the game in many many ways... So, would it be a good idea to iron out the details (mod the game to fix it all up) as such?

As a matter of fact, exactly what mistranslations DO we know outside of those..? I don't quite remember, but I think there's at least a little more; Let's collect them in one thread here. (And I think Miza can also mean she's a "Miser". >.> But that doesn't sound womanly.)

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:23 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
i think the best thing to do is just wait for the release on the wii, since pixels helping with the project

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:18 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Heheh

Orangedawg said:
i think the best thing to do is just wait for the release on the wii, since pixels helping with the project
I agree.
One of the reasons I'm buying the Wii version is just for the proper translations....
Although, I hope we don't get any more bummers, like Grasstown actually being Bushland....

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Echidna-san said:
We know the real password to the room in the plantation, Grasstown's rightful name, and a bunch of other random things here and there, plus we have the tools to edit the game in many many ways... So, would it be a good idea to iron out the details (mod the game to fix it all up) as such?

As a matter of fact, exactly what mistranslations DO we know outside of those..? I don't quite remember, but I think there's at least a little more; Let's collect them in one thread here. (And I think Miza can also mean she's a "Miser". >.> But that doesn't sound womanly.)

I'm sure I've said this somewhere before, but....
In the japanese (original) version of cavestory, her name is NOT ミザ (Miza), but rather ミザリー (Mizari). There should be no confusion there, so the translation Misery is correct.

Also, GrassTown still sounds cooler.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Been here way too long...
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Also, GrassTown still sounds cooler.

Seconded, even though it's a pretty shabby town. If the WiiWare version doesn't fix the translations, then we'll get on it.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:51 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh?

Captain Fabulous said:
If the WiiWare version doesn't fix the translations, then we'll get on it.
Why wouldn't they fix the translations?
Infact, we found out that Grasstown was actually Bushland from the Wii version.

Besides, they're not fixing anything; they're translating them the way Amaya says they should be.
We've been using unofficially translated versions, the Wii version will be the official translation...

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Echidna-san said:

Basically:
-Misery is correct, leave it as it is. Miza is a shorthand of "Mizari".
-Koron is supposed to be Colon.
-Bloody Holy Land seems to be a very literal translation, and a literal translation is a bad one, change it to sacred grounds.
-Change the password to "Yrots Evac" or "Iratagonom Ustukuod".
-Grasstown becomes Bushland.
-Ravil? Rabil? Which one would be correct? I'll leave that up to you.
-Change "Earth" to "surface" in the bad ending.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:23 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
andwhyisit said:
Basically:
-Misery is correct, leave it as it is. Miza is a shorthand of "Mizari".
-Koron is supposed to be Colon.
-Bloody Holy Land seems to be a very literal translation, and a literal translation is a bad one, change it to sacred grounds.
-Change the password to "Yrots Evac" or "Iratagonom Ustukuod".
-Grasstown becomes Bushland.
-Ravil? Rabil? Which one would be correct? I'll leave that up to you.
-Change "Earth" to "surface" in the bad ending.
Totally well-listed of translation mistakes.:confused:
I think the most important one is "-Change "Earth" to "surface" in the bad ending." because it affects our understanding of the story.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:39 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
DORYA.jpg

Just found this one, small but it may be important. Huzzah, Balrog's catchphrase, is a LIE!!

As seen in the above screenshot, balrog actually shouts どりゃあ!!(dorya!), which is clearly not huzzah. The Huzzah we've all come to know and love is a great lie, fabricated by AG. Oh, how could they mistranslate so?

Probably not that notable of a translation though, both are just pretty much variants of an exclamation. Not to mention that I don't know how proper it would sound for someone to yell "DORYAA!" in an english translation.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:50 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
The Huzzah we've all come to know and love is a great lie, fabricated byl AG. Oh, how could they mistranslate so?
I've....I've got to go take a lie down, now....

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Not to mention that I don't know how proper it would sound for someone to yell "DORYAA!" in an english translation.
Which is why "Huzzah" is the best fitting English word. "Huzzah" is correct as far as I am aware, or do you want to re-write the entire script in romanised Japanese?

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Oh, how could they mistranslate so?
An important rule when translating anything:
A literal translation is a bad translation.

"Doryaa" would be bad translation because it makes no sense to the English audience. "Huzzah" captures the same meaning yet it something that English speakers would understand.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:03 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Which is why "Huzzah" is the best fitting English word. "Huzzah" is correct as far as I am aware, or do you want to re-write the entire script in romanised Japanese?

An important rule when translating anything:
A literal translation is a bad translation.

Yes, exactly. Did you read the second part of my post though?

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Probably not that notable of a translation though, both are just pretty much variants of an exclamation. Not to mention that I don't know how proper it would sound for someone to yell "DORYAA!" in an english translation.

I'm just saying that Huzzah, the catchphrase that belongs to balrog, was never actually balrog's catchphrase. It's a similar issue to how some people think Naruto is saying "believe it" when he is saying dattebayo. Not to mention that this could've been directly translated, and due to that I feel we the players were missing out on the truth. And WTF-story does that have to do with rewrited the whole script in romanji?

And....

Captain Fabulous said:
"Huzzah".

No, it does not mean that. Doryaa has no meaning. Huzzah's meaning is similar (because it too is non-existent), but calling them the same thing would be incorrect. Not incorrect enough though to call for an edit.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:05 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
DORYA.jpg

Just found this one, small but it may be important. Huzzah, Balrog's catchphrase, is a LIE!!

As seen in the above screenshot, balrog actually shouts どりゃあ!!(dorya!), which is clearly not huzzah. The Huzzah we've all come to know and love is a great lie, fabricated by AG. Oh, how could they mistranslate so?

Balrog fans are now completely fucked in the ass now.
I now salute to not only Morshu, Giygas, Hamachi SUUU, and others
that are fucking gods, but also DORRRRYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:07 AM
Been here way too long...
Balrog will now always say 'DORYAA!" in my head. Which is unfortunate, because I don't speak Japanese.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:07 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Ralren said:
DORRRRYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, I could see balrog saying that. THAT should go in the fixed translation.

Captain Fabulous said:
Balrog will now always say 'DORYAA!" in my head. Which is unfortunate, because I don't speak Japanese.

That is a darn shame, it is a hard language to learn though. In some aspects at least.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:09 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Heh. I can now see the massive war about which one is correct, "Huzzah!" or "Doryaa!".

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:11 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
There is no exceptions.
It's all about the DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRYAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH.
Screw Huzzah, that's the old one in the book.
Dorya is the new kid in town, and Huzzah just got rejected.
Down with Huzzah, up with Dorya.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:24 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheheh...

T-Jack said:
Heh. I can now see the massive war about which one is correct, "Huzzah!" or "Doryaa!".
*And as the two huge human waves begin their descent down the hills, their battle cries clash before them....*
The Huzzahs VS The Doryaas!

Besides, I think it'll always be Huzzah to us.
Even if they change it in the official translation.
I mean, Ballrawg, the remix of Balrog's theme song, even has "Huzzah" sung in the background...
People are far too use to Huzzah to change to Doryaa.

Grasstown was different....And we still ache over that...

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:30 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
No, it does not mean that. Doryaa has no meaning. Huzzah's meaning is similar (because it too is non-existent), but calling them the same thing would be incorrect. Not incorrect enough though to call for an edit.
There is no such thing as a word without meaning, else it would have no use, no context, and will never be written or spoken in any language.

Though looking up Doryaa it seems to be more of a battlecry than an exclamation of joy, though I could be wrong. Give us an English one-worded battlecry. Go on. I dare ya. :D

In any case I think that we should wait for now to see what the new translation is. Though I think it would stay as "Huzzah".

EDIT: Hey JTE, your sig link is a bit outdated.