Five Nights at Freddy's

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:25 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Literally one of the best horror games to come out for awhile now. The story is a bit cliche, but the gameplay and feel is great. I've only played the demo, but planning on getting the full game.

For those of you who don't know much about the game, here's a short summary. Basically you play as a security guard during the night shift at a kid's pizzeria called Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. But at night, the animatronics roam around and you have to watch them using the cameras set up around the restaurant, because if they get to you, they'll stuff you into a animatronic suit, killing you.

Plus it somehow developed a huge fanbase in a short time, kinda like the Don't Hug me I'm Scared fandom (yes that's a thing) admitidally even I got sucked into that fandom and made a tumblr based of a character. (Go follow cupcakeatfreddys on tumblr if you wanna see me pretend to be an animatronic cupcake)

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:48 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can we have screenshots, a video, or a download link of the game?

Kiyoshi said:
(Go follow cupcakeatfreddys on tumblr if you wanna see me pretend to be an animatronic cupcake)
Self-advertising is self-advertising

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:55 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Oh man, this game is all over the place right now. I've been following it every now and then and i'd imagine the fanbase would die out in the next few weeks, but it's still going strong. Guess having a really ambigous story helps with giving new fodder for the fandom to talk over.

Oh, and i'ts also really popular with furries for some reason.

TLincoln said:

Gotcha covered!

link to the game, plus screenshots 'n stuffs:
http://www.desura.com/games/five-nights-at-freddys

A bunch of trailers:

And a wiki, contains spoilers though:
http://freddy-fazbears-pizza.wikia.com/wiki/Five_Nights_at_Freddy's_Wiki

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Oh, and i'ts also really popular with furries for some reason.
Must be all the pizza
Also damn, whatever is in that wiki link messed up the quote tags something chronic. Before I fixed it it looked something like this:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ElecMaw" data-cid="190931" data-time="1409640920">ElecMaw, on 02 Sept 2014 - 4:55 PM, said:ElecMaw, on 02 Sept 2014 - 4:55 PM, said:<p><p>

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Wow Kiyoshi I didn't think anyone on this forum(s) was caring enough about FNaF to make a thread about it.
I mean I would have but then again it scares me sort of so most likely not.

Anyways yeah I can't believe the fandom is still strong after like
a couple of weeks maybe? Or for how long it's been going for.

also people like to yiff the fox so that might be why

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Spiritga said:
Wow Kiyoshi I didn't think anyone on this forum(s) was caring enough about FNaF to make a thread about it.
I mean I would have but then again it scares me sort of so most likely not.

Anyways yeah I can't believe the fandom is still strong after like
a couple of weeks maybe? Or for how long it's been going for.

also people like to yiff the fox so that might be why
Yeah it's already been a few weeks, and I'm really suprised. I really was scared thinking that he fandom would come an go but its still going strong. If you go on Know your Meme, the five nights at freddy's image gallery is probably the most viewed one. At least it has been the past few days.

Also sorry about the self advertising. I was trying to just poke fun at the fact i actually made an account for it. XD

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I'm getting really tired of how much attention this dumb game is getting
Like, seriously? Some jump-scares and shitty CG animatronics and suddenly everyone and their dog is creaming themselves over this thing?
People like stupid things

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Why not? Suspense is the purest form of the horror genre.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
There is no suspense. You play a normal game of checking cameras and managing powers and doors (that use powers when closed, not when open), which is like a free-to-pay-phone-app level of gameplay, and if you mess up you get a gameover in the form of a jumpscare.

The story. You're a janitor or some shit and at night the animatronics chase you and try to stuff you into a costume as if you were an animatronic skeleton. They need to sneak up on you and scream at your face in order to do that. I don't really want to list them, but there are a lot (a LOT) of details that make the plot feel completely unrealistic and unbelievable (and barely any that make it credible), and if I recall correctly one of the key elements of horror games is ambiance and how well the player feels like he's in the game. This game is not immersive, it just feels completely dumb.

There is no suspense. Just a minimalistic gameplay concept (that would be somewhat interesting if it was a phone app or something maybe), that was made into a "game" with the addition of a shitty unnecessary plot and crappy unnecessary graphics, plus unnecessary jumpscares to account for labelling it as a horror game.

Almost every place on the internet is talking about this game, and it's almost shameful to see that such a shitty thing could gain so much credit. I can't even begin to understand why.

And as a result people draw "sexy" pics of ugly as hell robot animal serial killers. Thankfully most of them are meant as a joke.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:20 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Hiino said:
There is no suspense. You play a normal game of checking cameras and managing powers and doors (that use powers when closed, not when open), which is like a free-to-pay-phone-app level of gameplay, and if you mess up you get a gameover in the form of a jumpscare.

The story. You're a janitor or some shit and at night the animatronics chase you and try to stuff you into a costume as if you were an animatronic skeleton. They need to sneak up on you and scream at your face in order to do that. I don't really want to list them, but there are a lot (a LOT) of details that make the plot feel completely unrealistic and unbelievable (and barely any that make it credible), and if I recall correctly one of the key elements of horror games is ambiance and how well the player feels like he's in the game. This game is not immersive, it just feels completely dumb.

There is no suspense. Just a minimalistic gameplay concept (that would be somewhat interesting if it was a phone app or something maybe), that was made into a "game" with the addition of a shitty unnecessary plot and crappy unnecessary graphics, plus unnecessary jumpscares to account for labelling it as a horror game.

Almost every place on the internet is talking about this game, and it's almost shameful to see that such a shitty thing could gain so much credit. I can't even begin to understand why.

And as a result people draw "sexy" pics of ugly as hell robot animal serial killers. Thankfully most of them are meant as a joke.
Sorry Hiino. I'm gonna have to disagree with pretty much everything you're saying. I prolly shouldn't be opening this can of beans and starting a back and forth between us but oh well I'm bored and have things to say.

The intense hate in some of you guys' words is rather appalling.

I personally think this game is pretty ingenious. Most horror games are pretty similar. Zombies, dead things, actual plot, etc. This game is simplistic enough to actually be good. I'll admit, jump scares are kind of overplayed and people be like "lol dey r dum and not scurry", but I feel like it has enough suspense and puts you on edge to be beyond that. It isn't exactly too difficult and could be a bit more polished (that is, until you are able to do a custom night and crank it up to 20), I'll give it that. If after the jump scare it showed some killing, I suppose it'd be more scary. But the game over screen is enough to give you the idea of what happened. The game was probably trying to be minimalistic with the death so the player can interpret the gory details on their own terms. Obviously your fate is explained in the game, but there's no in-between, which leaves it up for speculation.

And I know the concept of minimal resources has been done before as well (see: Amnesia and most horror games), but it leaves you in a position where you're pretty much screwed no matter what you do. I also don't see how it is reminiscent of free-to-play garbage? It's not like they put the minimal energy there to milk you of money, and it's not like a big message pops up saying "Go to the menu to purchase more energy points! You'll have to wait 8 hours before you can play again!". The minimal energy is part of the CHALLENGE. And the challenge is there for a reason. It has nothing to do with money, and you can actually continue the game without waiting.

They may not be Eldritch horrors representing your inner demons or your past or whatever the fuck Silent Hill has, but they're enough deep into uncanny valley and shitty looking enough to be scary. Am I the only one who thought Chuck E Cheese animatronics were creepy as fuck? And am I the only one who finds vacant staring, distorted faces just standing there really, really uncomfortable? Clearly not. I can play silent hill or any other horror game without sharting my pants, but this game pushes all the right buttons. Not only that, but as aforementioned you have no way of defending yourself. If you run out of energy, you're fucked. There is no ammo collection or selective killing. Being in a vulnerable position with no escape is kind of scary, in my opinion. And spoilerz: any games that close out the window or fuck with your computer in anyway are pretty fucking scary in my book.

Also I find it funny you're complaining about unrealistic plot. Video games, horror games in particular, have pretty unbelievable plots. And "possessed killer doll or inanimate object" is a common trope in a lot of horror games or movies, however cliche it is.

I really think this hate is based off of "lol fandom popularity" and the furries taking over with their fanart. Even as a furry, I do find that stuff kind of stupid. Bonnie isn't transgender representing femme boy, and Foxxxy doesn't have an 8 inch knot waiting to yiff your unsuspecting butthole. But that's to be expected with most fandoms. Get used to it, buddy. It's the internet. Also sucks that it's the next big scary game that Poodiepie and others will play and make a million reaction videos to, but that can't really be helped either. And I know that's more than enough to turn the more jaded gamer assholes around here (I get like that too) off of it.

Anyway yeah. In short, it may be pretty unpolished compared to most big name horror games, but it has enough creepy elements to be somewhat decent. That's just me though 8]
On a less argumentative point: Which character freaks you the most? Imo it's that fucking bird. Who puts teeth on a chicken? And that broken neck and staring right at the camera wherever you are. Fuck no.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
i originally thought that it was going to be some shitty unity game but when i found out that it was done in mmf2 it kind of impressed me

that's about it though

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM
I'm going to agree with WD here, my opinion on this game got a lot more positive as time went on.

I am still confused where in the hell people get the idea from that it's filled with jumpscares- somehow people keep repeating it but it only ever hands these out if you end up losing. Besides, i don't find jumpscares that bad when done with moderation, tension gets boring for me when i know nothing is going to happen in the end.

Most of the suspense from the game comes from trying to figure out where everyone is and where they end up going. If you just shut the door on one of them, it might still be in front of the door, since you can't see them with the camera if they are right in front of it. Or it might just fled to a completely different room, or maybe another one of them is trying to enter trough the other side of your room while you keep looking. One of the rooms only has audio, meaning you have to stay focused on that for a bit to figure out if you can hear them, giving them ample time to sneak on to you. It's that suspense/paranoia that impressed me in the end, and how it's neatly intergrated with the gameplay itself.

For 5 quid you can do a lot worse.

Oh, and yeah the story is dumb but it's still just a background story. Most of the people who fuzz about it are the fandom itself, it's not that hard to get over it when it's not a big centerpiece. More games need a simple background story rather than to have it overwhelm the gameplay itself, imho.

I don't think it's worth it to get angry over the fans, just avoid it if you don't like the game. Flappy Bird was essentially a game where you guide a cheep-cheep between warp pipes untill you reach infinity and it was everywhere on the net at some point. But i'm not going to heckle others for liking things i don't like, i think scarecamming is dumb as hell but i sure as hell hope i don't have to think as someone as a lesser being for liking that. Fnaf will come and pass for the next big thing, just like Cave Story did.

(A long time ago)

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
TLincoln said:

It's on steam. I saw it advertised on the front page a day or two ago.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Wild Desu said:
On a less argumentative point: Which character freaks you the most? Imo it's that fucking bird. Who puts teeth on a chicken? And that broken neck and staring right at the camera wherever you are. Fuck no.
From the playthroughs I've seen, Foxy is definitely the most panic-inducing, but (Bonnie?) the chicken is just really consistently unnerving. >:

As for the game itself, I don't see what's so horrible about it. It does set you on edge as you're playing it, which I'm guessing is the point.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM
daughter of chivalry
Bonnie is the Bunny, Chica is the Chicken. And yeah, people consistently say that Foxy is the least scary and the cutest, but I find him a bit disturbing to look at. That broken jaw and stuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:01 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I encountered Golden Freddy on my first time playing the game

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:59 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I watched critikal play it because my computer is pretty much guaranteed to not be able to run it, and I didn't think it was -that- scary but I did think it was fairly well done. My only criticisms were that the animals all sounded really similar when killing you, and for all the difficulty in preventing Foxxy from attacking you, their kill scene is kind of a let down. It just kinds of sidles in the door and then woop u ded.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:14 AM
daughter of chivalry
Yeah I agree with that. I at least thought it was cool that each character had unique mumbling noises in the background. Foxy sang a jaunty "dum-de-dum" tune while Chica made almost human-like groans. If the creator made unique screaming for the jump scare, that'd at least be a bit more interesting. I kind of wish the game was still in development to add these small changes, but it's not really make or break. It's alright the way it is.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Here's an interesting fact: The death sound is actually a child screaming, but it gets cut off before the sound plays completely making it sound robotic. The only character who has a different death sound is golden freddy, who sounds stupidly enough like Chewbacca out of all things

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM
ElecMaw said:
Here's an interesting fact: The death sound is actually a child screaming, but it gets cut off before the sound plays completely making it sound robotic. The only character who has a different death sound is golden freddy, who sounds stupidly enough like Chewbacca out of all things
Sometime the game glitches when you die so you can hear the full scream before it cuts out. A lot of people just assumed you could only hear it through the audio file.