Favorite Weapon

What is your favorite gun/weapon in Cave Story?

• Total voters
Feb 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My Favorite Weapon is Snake because its weapon number 0001 :)

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:30 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Blade. Blade always pwns the most. :)

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
spur. the power is almost unmatched

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:58 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
blade all the way :) , it is the weapon that is so powerful when you get it,
too bad about the short range tho...

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:22 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Polar star. Why? 2 reasons.

1) The harder something is, the better you feel about it when you accomplish it.

2) You rob a random old guy for it.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:53 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
lol Polar Star rocks, and Spur is the ultimate...
Yet I chose machine gun cause there's something cool about flying around because a machinegun's kickback lol

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:43 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Mine would be Spur,Its the best weapon.

Feb 25, 2007 at 9:00 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
lol blades winning

GO BLADE! :)

shining phantom do you really think we should have missle launcher and super missle? :D

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
X-Calibar said:
Yet I chose machine gun cause there's something cool about flying around because a machinegun's kickback lol

Yes, The Machine gun's kickback is better than any booster, if you hold the jumpbutton while fireing... You can fly up the whole outter wall without trying.

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:02 PM
Hoxtilicious
xristosx said:
lol blades winning

GO BLADE!

shining phantom do you really think we should have missle launcher and super missle?

Yea, I wanna have ALL weapons in the mod :)
Anyhow I cant change it anymore, uhh I like ur signature quite much only a bit big isnt it? :D :D

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:15 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
machine gun and blade
i think that level 1 blade does 15 damage

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:11 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The bubbler is pure fun.

It's better than the Spur for rapid fire, and acts as a shield as well. A pity the level one stage isn't very good, but it still is a decent weapon for a hellrun.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:09 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I picked the Snake :D IMO it has the best balance of damage and speed, and a four shot on-screen limit isn't exactly much of a drawback. Plus it shoots through walls <3

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:55 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Slife said:
The bubbler is pure fun.

It's better than the Spur for rapid fire, and acts as a shield as well. A pity the level one stage isn't very good, but it still is a decent weapon for a hellrun.

does the bubbler shield do enough to kill the flying guys in one go?

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:48 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
xristosx said:
does the bubbler shield do enough to kill the flying guys in one go?

IIRC, no, but the shots from the exploded bubbles do.

Favorite weapon is the Machine Gun. Makes sooo many things so much easier. Have to give up the spur for it, sure, but while you're waiting for the spur to charge up to do 100 damage, I've already done 150 with the machine gun. :rolleyes: (Note: weapon damages listed here are merely for example)

As for the Blade, I like it, it's cool and all, but I find that at the third level, while it's good for clearing projectiles and dealing with crowds of enemies, there's already a good weapon that does that, doesn't require hundreds of energy crystals to level up, and doesn't lose lvl 3 with one hit. (The Bubbler) Not only that, I find the blade does more damage at lvl 2 than 3, if only because you can throw it faster, and damage isn't divided based on how many enemies or projectiles are around. (I can't count how many times I've gotten frustrated because something crossed the lvl 3's path right before it hit it's intended target, reducing the damage significantly.)

The Missile launcher I can't STAND. I mean, if it's supposedly a "powerful weapon with limited ammo", shouldn't it do way more damage than it's actually doing? Lvl 1 is pitiful, doing only 10 damage (IIRC), way too little for something you start out with only ten shots of. Maybe it's just because I see it as a boss killer weapon, the kind that you save up until the boss appears, then spam it to devastate the boss. But the lvl 3...What's the use of that? It does damage based on how many and where the three missiles hit, and that variable I've seen go as low as 13 damage. In fact, in the Sand Zone, where that huge swarm of birds are, I tried using the lvl 3 missile launcher to clear out the crowd...And subsequently died because none of them did and I PO'ed the entire crowd. For all the trouble it is to lvl up, the missile launcher is best at lvl 2, IMO, it's fast and does 20 damage a pop with splash damage. Now that's useful.

The Spur is an awesome gun, especially, the "goes through enemies to do more damage" part of it, but unfortunately, the charge time to max is way too long, and like I mentioned before, I can do more damage with the machine gun by the time it's fully charged. I do, however, admit that on large enemies, the spur is vastly superior.

The Fireball just makes me drool. They handed me this at the beginning of the game?! Easy to lvl, and does very high damage for when you get it (13 on a direct hit, IIRC), and has unlimited ammo! However, the fact that you can't effectively shoot it up is a problem. But still, I had a lot of fun lobbing fireball shots like grenades directly into bats. All it takes is a little practice, and you can hit ANYTHING with this baby. Unless they're really high up.

The Bubbler also makes me very happy. The lvl 1 is a very ineffective weapon, but it takes basically nothing to lvl it up. Lvl 2is more or less the staple, "does little damage but has high rate of fire" weapon, and does it's job very well, I think. The lvl 3, however, is just plain Godly. Having a shield and an attack that's very well near impossible to avoid in the same weapon is just plain unfair. Not to mention it does decent damage with each little fired bolt. So about 20 or so of those things flying at a large enemy at once is going to really hurt. Unfortunately, that's all the lvl 3 Bubbler is good for, along with fending off crowds of enemies/projectiles, but it does that job a heck of a lot better than the Blade, IMO.

Nemesis is great until you realize just how hard it is to dodge energy crystals. @_@ That's all that needs to be said about that. Although when Curly wields it, it's a HUGE help.

Never really used the Snake that much, so I can't say much about it, and the Polar Star really doesn't need a rating, I think, except that it still does superior damage over the missile launcher at lvl 3 despite supposedly being your weakest weapon. -_- (That's comparing the damage done over time, not by individual shot)

Sorry for the wall of text, and forgive me if I got some things wrong. ^^;;

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:23 PM
Hoxtilicious
Tsura said:
IIRC, no, but the shots from the exploded bubbles do.

Umm... Thats what he meant :rolleyes:

Tsura said:
Favorite weapon is the Machine Gun. Makes sooo many things so much easier. Have to give up the spur for it, sure, but while you're waiting for the spur to charge up to do 100 damage, I've already done 150 with the machine gun. :D (Note: weapon damages listed here are merely for example)

Yea I can't wait for Spur, but I prefer Snake because it can shoot through walls. I personally don't like the machine gun much because it drive me crazy with the Level 3 Jetpack in Hell @_@

Tsura said:
As for the Blade, I like it, it's cool and all, but I find that at the third level, while it's good for clearing projectiles and dealing with crowds of enemies, there's already a good weapon that does that, doesn't require hundreds of energy crystals to level up, and doesn't lose lvl 3 with one hit. (The Bubbler) Not only that, I find the blade does more damage at lvl 2 than 3, if only because you can throw it faster, and damage isn't divided based on how many enemies or projectiles are around. (I can't count how many times I've gotten frustrated because something crossed the lvl 3's path right before it hit it's intended target, reducing the damage significantly.)

Again don't use Find and Found that way, it will confuse people, what do you mean is: "you think".

Tsura said:
The Missile launcher I can't STAND. I mean, if it's supposedly a "powerful weapon with limited ammo", shouldn't it do way more damage than it's actually doing? Lvl 1 is pitiful, doing only 10 damage (IIRC), way too little for something you start out with only ten shots of. Maybe it's just because I see it as a boss killer weapon, the kind that you save up until the boss appears, then spam it to devastate the boss. But the lvl 3...What's the use of that? It does damage based on how many and where the three missiles hit, and that variable I've seen go as low as 13 damage. In fact, in the Sand Zone, where that huge swarm of birds are, I tried using the lvl 3 missile launcher to clear out the crowd...And subsequently died because none of them did and I PO'ed the entire crowd. For all the trouble it is to lvl up, the missile launcher is best at lvl 2, IMO, it's fast and does 20 damage a pop with splash damage. Now that's useful.

Overpowering a weapons isn't fine IMHO. It's fine as it is ;)

Tsura said:
The Spur is an awesome gun, especially, the "goes through enemies to do more damage" part of it, but unfortunately, the charge time to max is way too long, and like I mentioned before, I can do more damage with the machine gun by the time it's fully charged. I do, however, admit that on large enemies, the spur is vastly superior.

Well I think too its a BIT long but again overpowering isn't nice lol

Tsura said:
The Fireball just makes me drool. They handed me this at the beginning of the game?! Easy to lvl, and does very high damage for when you get it (13 on a direct hit, IIRC), and has unlimited ammo! However, the fact that you can't effectively shoot it up is a problem. But still, I had a lot of fun lobbing fireball shots like grenades directly into bats. All it takes is a little practice, and you can hit ANYTHING with this baby. Unless they're really high up.

Fireball is nice but not a Super Weapon :D And as far as I can tell it does:
Level 1 = 2
Level 2 = 4
Level 3 = 8

13 is impossible because of the fact how the game handles weapon damage.

Tsura said:
The Bubbler also makes me very happy. The lvl 1 is a very ineffective weapon, but it takes basically nothing to lvl it up. Lvl 2is more or less the staple, "does little damage but has high rate of fire" weapon, and does it's job very well, I think. The lvl 3, however, is just plain Godly. Having a shield and an attack that's very well near impossible to avoid in the same weapon is just plain unfair. Not to mention it does decent damage with each little fired bolt. So about 20 or so of those things flying at a large enemy at once is going to really hurt. Unfortunately, that's all the lvl 3 Bubbler is good for, along with fending off crowds of enemies/projectiles, but it does that job a heck of a lot better than the Blade, IMO.

Well... I like it, ineffective? Well maybe a bit lol
I think the blade pwns the Bubbler in some ways it was better in my mod to defend you against enemies and projectiles :D

Tsura said:
Nemesis is great until you realize just how hard it is to dodge energy crystals. @_@

lol for me it's easy just train it a bit it's not THAT hard :p

Tsura said:
That's all that needs to be said about that.

Not in my opinion, there is more to say about it, for example that funny Level 3 duck :p

Tsura said:
Never really used the Snake that much, so I can't say much about it, and the Polar Star really doesn't need a rating, I think, except that it still does superior damage over the missile launcher at lvl 3 despite supposedly being your weakest weapon. -_- (That's comparing the damage done over time, not by individual shot)

Snake is great and is superrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!111111!!!11oneoneone
I don't think the Polar Star isn't the weakest weapon lol

Tsura said:
Sorry for the wall of text, and forgive me if I got some things wrong. ^^;;

No problem, you can post as many text as you want aslong it just makes sense.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:53 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I said "supposedly" the weakest. :rolleyes: Before I get the Machine Gun, it's my most used and relied on weapon, and I love the thing so much it's hard to give it up for the Spur or Machine Gun sometimes.

But I can't really say "I think" about the blade, because it really is true about the damage. The delay time between attacks leaves you wide open. :/

Buuuut, which mod is your mod?

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:15 PM
Hoxtilicious
Tsura said:
I said "supposedly" the weakest. :rolleyes: Before I get the Machine Gun, it's my most used and relied on weapon, and I love the thing so much it's hard to give it up for the Spur or Machine Gun sometimes.

But I can't really say "I think" about the blade, because it really is true about the damage. The delay time between attacks leaves you wide open. :/

Buuuut, which mod is your mod?

"I think" can also mean that you "find" it ;)

http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/277/

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:18 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'll...Take that as something lost in translation...

Not to be pompous, but just to be sure..."I think" means "As I've seen, this is the way it is". More of a maybe.

"I find" means mostly the same thing, but more of a fact than a maybe.

*is a very analytical person*

I'll shut up now, sorry. :rolleyes:

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:39 PM
Hoxtilicious
Tsura said:
I'll...Take that as something lost in translation...

Not to be pompous, but just to be sure..."I think" means "As I've seen, this is the way it is". More of a maybe.

"I find" means mostly the same thing, but more of a fact than a maybe.

*is a very analytical person*

I'll shut up now, sorry. :rolleyes:

lol don't
I thought u cant say "I find" in english? Isn't that bad english?