Evergreen

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi!For that I'm from China,maybe there's some language barriers between us.I aplogise for that,and all the words will be organised by myself,who is still in the grade 2 in the highschool.So whether there is some grammar or spelling errors,you can point out them for me if you will see that. ;)

A Nice Mod,Wohoo!

Already played through your Festival Questive(Quest),and get 40 gifts here!And Evergreen v 0.39,v 0.43,v 0.46,

Then is my playthrough!!
The life capsule in the way to the abandoned village is too hard to Get!!I wonder in the future update whether I can go back and also get the chest above it.
So I only get these...

I used the newest Mod Loader&Fps,made the game with 60fps,and 960*720,very nice!!

QQ截图20221120122847.png
QQ截图20221120122909.png
Also the updated Polar Star is Cool,and I think that I'm Invincible!!

Can you tell me where I can get the Missile??I am expected to find its updated appearance!!At the same time i've lost about all(4or5?)chest I can see!!
QQ图片20221120122727.png
QQ图片20221120122707.png
Also I see another player above.For I've played this game from 2010 to now,I can take no damage and get out during it!And the playthrough is currently a bit easy for me,but just take your previous difficulty.:D

QQ图片20221120122648.png
QQ图片20221120122646.png
And there's some unreasonable issues when I loaded the profile of v0.43 to v0.46.

QQ图片20221120122624.png
QQ图片20221120122635.pngQQ图片20221120122628.png
Yes!I found a new and classical secret room,though it's a bit easy to find it...:p
But the image above is nice!(Yeah,I know that I used this word for the 3 times,but...)

QQ图片20221120122605.png
(Only ten image?Well,i'll obey it.)
In a word,An atonishing Mod,the map is made very well,and I'm lookingforward to the next update and the completed mod!!!!

Thanks Your Mod!!!
:heart::pignon:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 5:27 AM
"Huzzah!"
thank you!! i'm glad you like my mod(s)! :]

the life capsule just before the abandoned village is technically obtainable with a perfect jump, but the intent is that you will eventually return to that area and be able to get it (and the chest)

as for the missile launcher, it should be obtainable after beating the 'oddly festive robot' in the frigid caverns

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:17 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hi!For that I'm from China,maybe there's some language barriers between us.I aplogise for that,and all the words will be organised by myself,who is still in the grade 2 in the highschool.So whether there is some grammar or spelling errors,you can point out them for me if you will see that. ;)

A Nice Mod,Wohoo!

Already played through your Festival Questive(Quest),and get 40 gifts here!And Evergreen v 0.39,v 0.43,v 0.46,

Then is my playthrough!!
The life capsule in the way to the abandoned village is too hard to Get!!I wonder in the future update whether I can go back and also get the chest above it.
So I only get these...

I used the newest Mod Loader&Fps,made the game with 60fps,and 960*720,very nice!!

View attachment 8766
View attachment 8767
Also the updated Polar Star is Cool,and I think that I'm Invincible!!

Can you tell me where I can get the Missile??I am expected to find its updated appearance!!At the same time i've lost about all(4or5?)chest I can see!!
View attachment 8771
View attachment 8770
Also I see another player above.For I've played this game from 2010 to now,I can take no damage and get out during it!And the playthrough is currently a bit easy for me,but just take your previous difficulty.:D

View attachment 8772
View attachment 8773
And there's some unreasonable issues when I loaded the profile of v0.43 to v0.46.

View attachment 8774
View attachment 8776View attachment 8775
Yes!I found a new and classical secret room,though it's a bit easy to find it...:p
But the image above is nice!(Yeah,I know that I used this word for the 3 times,but...)

View attachment 8778
(Only ten image?Well,i'll obey it.)
In a word,An atonishing Mod,the map is made very well,and I'm lookingforward to the next update and the completed mod!!!!

Thanks Your Mod!!!
My only playtester of Cave Story mods being translated into Chinese.
(Translated mods not for commercial use, of course)

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:39 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My only playtester of Cave Story mods being translated into Chinese.
(Translated mods not for commercial use, of course)
GG!And Happy Cooperation!:pignon:

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:21 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Then is my playthrough!!
View attachment 8776View attachment 8775

Thanks Your Mod!!!
Oh wow, I never found that secret. Guess it's somewhere on the outside. Good job finding that secret.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:56 AM
"Huzzah!"
-And lastly, I think I found a sequence break. I fought the warriors in Labyrinth III without jumping down the hole in Labyrinth L first. After I defeated them, some attack got sent my way, I was knocked out, and sent to the unknown space again. At first, I thought this was part of the intended sequence, but I was at the same point as before where I was stuck in the water, and drowned, and washed up at Claus' house (except there were two of him then), and so the sequence just seemed broken. So I reloaded my save and went down the hole into the waterway and came back up, but the sequence break still occurred. In order to progress, I had to go all the way back up through the Labyrinth again, and this time, I could access the fan. At first, I thought this was the end of the demo, but I'm glad that I persisted a bit and reached the legit end of the demo.

regarding this; i believe i've found the issue and fixed it, so an update's just been released (0.4.8)

also in this update i've redrawn the mossy caves tileset to be more unique, i think i'll work on it more - at the very least add alt slopes - but for now i'm happy with it update: i've worked on it more! happy with how it looks!
i've also added '''lighting''' in the first area, inspired by sue's story

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.22.05 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.22.07 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.22.50 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.22.59 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.23.24 pm.png

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 3:23 PM
Based Member
i've also added '''lighting''' in the first area, inspired by sue's story

Ah, nice. I remember noticing that lighting when playing that part, and noticing that the light of the character didn't change, and thinking about Sue's Story using that mechanic. Nice to see you sprucing more things up.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:31 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Really enjoyed revisiting this...
I even had a Let's play to show... and then during the upload I just HAD to multitask and managed to find a rare BSOD. ...and I lost the file due to the RAM drive (of all things) I had it on lol.
... I will record something if I can squeeze a little time out tomorrow, or have to wait till the weekend... It would have been a somewhat interesting sight to see because... well... I'll save it for the video...

:/ Anyway, lesson learned... backup and don't tempt the upload gods. :\

btw a few things I can remember off the top of my head:
There's a pot, next to Arthur or the door in town, somewhere around that general area, that warps you to that underworld/evergreen place. Probably a debug thing, but that threw me for a loop when I happened upon it lol.

Oh, and during that first battle with the Captain; you can trigger the event that describes the downed soldier, before he is properly downed. Made for an awkward moment when I was at 1 HP, then triggered the text and everyone was sitting on my face planning my destruction while I was in the text box D:

... I'm sure there were more, but my brain is fried. And the sun will be up soon... Need sleep... No more sulking... till later....

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:32 PM
"Huzzah!"
There's a pot, next to Arthur or the door in town, somewhere around that general area, that warps you to that underworld/evergreen place. Probably a debug thing, but that threw me for a loop when I happened upon it lol.

DEBUG POT STRIKES AGAIN, GOD FUCKING DAMNIT (this is what i get for posting a joke update without double triple checking i'd removed all debug stuff)

...anyway, sorry to hear about your PC :[ glad you enjoyed the rest though

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:49 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
So I finally got around to recording a little footage. The curious thing I hinted was actually ReShade, a post-processing injector... allowing you to add effects mostly for newer games. But, lo and behold it works with Cave Story/Evergreen with just a little extra work. Read the FAQ and saw mention of a dgVoodoo2... followed the directions and it worked!
So as I played through, I tried setting some graphics filters :O Ideally I'd find a way to automatically set filters or something... But alas. (Binded them to keys.)

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to share :D Without touching the Evergreen data, I gave myself a little different experience :o
...Think of it like unconventional fan art from one who doesn't really do fan art D:
I added chapters to the video, so it might be easier to jump around~

Oh and I can post the shader/preset files if curious (it's a bit of a mess though), or one can just download it and do their own thing. But enough of that~
Evergreen was as entertaining as I remembered. (And more: new facepics, graphics, areas...! Storyyy)

And I need to replay everything again and see if different actions affect outcomes. Like in my lost video, I tried to be neutral to the robots. Avoided killing any, or doing anything that might give me a negative notoriety. While I doubt there is a route where you end up on the robot army side... I must investigate!

I also avoided checking everything too closely. After running into strange things like an invisible bandaged King when interacting with the bed in town. Next time I will definitely leave no stone (or pot) unturned xD

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
oh!!! this is super cool, ty!! i scrubbed through it quickly cause i gotta go to bed soon (will definitely watch properly tomorrow after work!) but what i saw had some pretty funky results, especially in the intro section!

also, regarding alternate routes -
while there will be multiple endings (vague plan is 2 or 3 + a joke ending?), it'll be something more in line with the original game, in that there's only really one route and you have to meet certain item-based requirements... that being said, there is at least one or two choices you can make that could potentially come back to bite you in the ass!

May 8, 2023 at 12:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
it's been, uh, an amount of time, but...

EVERGREEN 0.5 IS NOW OUT!

this is what i hope to be the final demo before the full release of the game!

on top of adding a new area, this demo contains updated/polished graphics/music/scripting, plenty of bugfixes, and, most importantly... layers support! saves from previous demos are not compatible but i like to think the visual updates to the maps at least will make a full replay worth your while :]

i'll update with some better screenshots later but for now take these ones i found on my twitter

1683503313782.png1683503327734.png1683503415721.png

May 8, 2023 at 1:22 AM
Based Member
Nice, glad to see that things are moving along for this mod. I have some other items in my Cave Story mod playing queue, but will probably get around to playing this mod some time in the next few months.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
VERSION 0.6 IS OUT!!!

This new demo adds no new story content but is primarily a graphical update - I've redone a few of the tilesets and improved them/made them more unique - most notably Frigid Caverns (i would post screenshots but i'm lazy, maybe i'll edit them in later), as well as general touchups for all graphics (portraits, sprites, etc...)

While I said that I hoped for the last demo to be the final one, I've sort of changed my mind - however, moving forward, all new demos (not including bugfixes/updates for 0.6 - I do have some things I'd like to add) will be distributed privately, since the current demo ends right before what I would consider to be the finale (if I were to compare it to the original Cave Story, the equivalent would be around the point where Momorin's rocket is completed), and I'd like to save some spoilers, for lack of a better way to put it?

That being said, by 'privately' I mean 'through my private Discord server' so if you're interested, poke me on Discord, I guess? I can be found in the main Cave Story and CSMC servers.
Also, I don't think I'll have the next demo ready anytime soon, so no hurry...