Evergreen... 2!

Apr 1, 2022 at 6:41 AM
"Huzzah!"
greetings, cave story fans, i'm pleased to announce the release of a small demo for evergreen 2!

while my full statement on the matter is readable on doukutsu club, here is a quick tdlr: the old version of evergreen sucked ass and was boring, i've decided to scrap development and completely restart it using the fancy new doukutsu-rs engine hey wait am i the first person to post a d-rs mod on the forums
i believe i've managed to create a true masterpiece here, greater than any other cave story mod ever made.

please enjoy (or else)!

DOWNLOAD

* ignore the weird font resolution, it's a bug when running the game in fullscreen that i haven't figured out how to fix yet
Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.28.52 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.29.14 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-01 at 4.29.55 pm.png

- due to the in-dev nature of the d-rs engine, there may be some slightly wonky stuff with how the base game behaves - not much i can personally do about it with my current (read: almost non-existent) level of programming skill - feel free to open up an issue on github if you find something glaring that's not an obvious result of my modifications lol

- i'll release a small update in the next few days to fix up some sprite/misc issues

- yes, this is basically a rave story ripoff (that was sorta the initial idea), complete with its own set of really specific in-jokes

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:01 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The Best Cave Story mod of all time.
Why,
Simple, its because the story is revolutionary and the difficulty gradually increases every second.
This truly is the best mod of Cave Story.

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:41 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I felt bad that I've taken so long to get around to playing Evergreen, so I committed the terrible atrocity of skipping Evergreen and playing the sequel. Best decision I've ever made.

Gotta love how Quote reacts when you hit him.

For the part about the bartender being too engrossed in listening to music to serve you, I feel like I've seen that before in either another Cave Story mod, or in another indie game, or maybe in some other work, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was from. But I'm pretty sure that's not the first time I've seen that gag.

Anyway, cool that you're able to use Doukutsu-rs. Maybe something will come of it later.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to post on April 1st.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 6:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
This truly is the best mod of Cave Story.
correct, thank you <3

But I'm pretty sure that's not the first time I've seen that gag.
hmm, well if it's similar to something that's not consciously intentional - the bartender is based off of one of my sonas (aka '''myself''') and i'm often listening to music through my headphones irl, so it was mostly just me poking fun at myself haha

glad you enjoyed it though, i'm definitely hoping to do more stuff with d-rs in the future, whether that's porting & finishing evergreen in it or completely new projects

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:16 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Seeing the characters brings back memories... Prequel when??:D
ah it's bully quote! or uh... did we just bully quote?

I guess my head canon is that Quote was waiting for Curly to return; the dance game was paused and he didn't want to lose the high score. At that moment an angry robot with a pool cue started to beat him over the head, Quote misfires the machinegun and the greatest score of All Time is lost... Mayhem ensues. Meanwhile the bartender continues to polish a glass... ah, love this song~♫ (song plays-fade to black)
Happy April 2nd to you!