Enemies not dispensing experience!?

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Or hearts or missiles or anything, for that matter. I have no clue what I did that screwed it up... o_O

Let me see... since yesterday, when it was working fine...

>I changed the map size
>Editted the script... I think it started glitching when I ventured into events over 1000 but I immediately realized my error and changed them all to 0500's. I checked and they aren't used in any of the universal files.
>Added a ton of enemies
>Added h/v triggers
>Changed the map

So far as I can remember, that's all I did. And now enemies are not dropping any experience or hearts or missiles. At all.

EDIT: And after realizing that after playing through the level, enemies STARTED giving me experience, I went on a hunch, and...

Well, let me just say that it is a testament to how idiotically enemy-filled I'm making my level, that there is in fact a limit to how many enemies you can have in a room without glitching... and I reached it.

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:22 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
You could try splitting up your level in the way that the final three boss fights are connected, where moving off the edge of the screen takes you to another level.

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:39 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
It's a thought... I don't like splitting up the Egg Corridor, though... meh, I just got rid of some enemies that were probably superfluous anyway, and now it's fine.

How do you get missiles to not flash and disappear? That is, the ones in the level, not the ones dropped by enemies.

On an unrelated note, I never knew you actually weren't ALLOWED to save while you had the Nikumaru counter on. Huh. Wonder if there's any way to get it so you can...

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:32 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Missles are Entity #86... to make them not flash I believe Flag 0x1000 needs to be set (not sure of this, but this is how to make hearts not flash)

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:40 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Err... didn't work... think it's because I'm not placing them, I'm changing an existing entity... eh well, there's a refill at the end of the level.

Now my fans aren't working. I'm trying to get the terminal to switch the fans that are off to on, and vice versa... well turning off is obviously working, but not turning on.

I have <CNP0251:0097:0001 and it didn't work... <CNP0251:0097:0000 didn't work either... I think I have the right options checked...

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:40 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lyger said:
Well, let me just say that it is a testament to how idiotically enemy-filled I'm making my level, that there is in fact a limit to how many enemies you can have in a room without glitching... and I reached it.
Yep.
I discovered this while experimenting with various obscene quantities of weapon energy in those exploding capsules.

However, it's not an "enemy" limit, but an entity one.
It counts everything that has more than one frame of animation, I think.
Which basically only excludes <Nothing> and Pot, and a few other static objects.
What I'd like to know is how big is the map, and how many entities were there?

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:31 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I was editting the Egg Corridor... and I don't remember but there were quite a lot. I removed all the doors and whatnot but added a bunch of triggers and, like I said, obscene amounts of enemies in inconvenient locations...

Like I said, that's working now... I'm worried about the fans not working...

It's gotta be possible, but I don't know why it's not working. See when I have the tick box checked that makes the fans spin, they don't change, and when I have it unchecked they change, but don't spin. Blargh.

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:40 AM
Lyger said:
It's gotta be possible, but I don't know why it's not working. See when I have the tick box checked that makes the fans spin, they don't change, and when I have it unchecked they change, but don't spin. Blargh.
Send me the TSC (copy it to a notepad) and I'll take a look.
(You know how to send an e-mail, right? PM works too (if you can.))

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:58 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Lyger, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

That's what I got when I pressed the "Send Private Message" button...

eh?

Doesn't matter, here's the only relevant part of the script...

Code:
<PRI<FLJ0211:0261<FL+0211<CNP0250:0000:0000<CNP0251:0097:0001<MSG<TURFans switched<NOD<CLO<END

<PRI<FL-0211<CNP0250:0097:0001<CNP0251:0000:0000<MSG<TURFans switched<NOD<CLO<END

As you can see it's meant to alternate which fans are blowing every time you go to the terminal.

All the fans are labeled either 250 or 251... but the sprites aren't switching properly.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:02 PM
I checked the fans in Grasstown from the original source.
You have to have two of the same entity (the fan) stacked, and when you flip the siwtch, they alternate their visibility.
One has to have Flag 1000 set (the "on" fan).

Hope this helps.

Nice script, btw.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:10 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Yeah... but don't entities changed by flags only work if you leave and reenter the room? That is, the entities don't appear right away; the room has to reload. At least that's how it's been in my experience so far, which admittedly isn't all that much.

The way my room is designed is, it's got the panels and the fans, and it's sort of a puzzle where you alternate which fans are on and which are off in order to make it across deathspikes and whatnot. So the terminals are on platforms right in the level, and not in rooms like the power room, where you'd exit the room, set the flag, and reenter it...

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:38 AM
Lyger said:
Yeah... but don't entities changed by flags only work if you leave and reenter the room? That is, the entities don't appear right away; the room has to reload. At least that's how it's been in my experience so far, which admittedly isn't all that much.

The way my room is designed is, it's got the panels and the fans, and it's sort of a puzzle where you alternate which fans are on and which are off in order to make it across deathspikes and whatnot. So the terminals are on platforms right in the level, and not in rooms like the power room, where you'd exit the room, set the flag, and reenter it...
To make it immediate, you have 2 entities (one an off fan and one and one <Nothing> with flag 1000 set. You keep the in/visible if flag X is set, but in the script you do a <CNP on the off fan to a <Nothing> and then a <CNP of the original <Nothing> (with flag 1000 set) to the fan. So... Oh, and to save script, have a 3rd entity of the fan with flag 1000 set set to "visible if flag x is set." Hope this helps.

All entities should be stacked one atop the other.

Ps. For the PM system (as well as the avatar, you have to have at least ten counting posts and have been here for a week.
Pps. I had 300 posts in my first 2 weeks.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:14 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Doesn't work. It changes if I don't have the flag 0x1000 thing set, but then obviously it doesn't spin. When it's set, it doesn't change. I have no idea why.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:24 AM
Lyger said:
Doesn't work. It changes if I don't have the flag 0x1000 thing set, but then obviously it doesn't spin. When it's set, it doesn't change. I have no idea why.
Hm...
Lemme check...
Does each fan have a unique event #?

Aha!
The <CNP has to give the Up fan direction 2.
Ie. <CNPXXXX:0097:0002
I'll check the other fans too.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:26 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Aw you're kidding me. It's the direction? I had it on 1. Isn't 1 up? Man...

EACH fan needs a unique number? That's inconvenient... wanted to turn on/off like ten at a time... multiple entity changing worked in my first room...

EDIT: and this is the hugest frustration in any kind of coding, be it actual programming or this kind of game mod scripting. It was in fact the direction. D'OH.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:28 AM
Lyger said:
Aw you're kidding me. It's the direction? I had it on 1. Isn't 1 up? Man...

EACH fan needs a unique number? That's inconvenient... wanted to turn on/off like ten at a time... multiple entity changing worked in my first room...
Each fan group can have the same ID...

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:31 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
See previous post edit.

I feel rather idiotic. >_< I thought 0001 was up!

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:41 AM
Lyger said:
See previous post edit.

I feel rather idiotic. >_< I thought 0001 was up!
Only directions 0000 and 0002 do anything, as far as I know.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:35 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Really? Whatabout fade in/outs and NPC facing directions and stuff...?

Also, how do you get the countdown balloon to work? It stops after "5"...

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:27 AM
Lyger said:
Really? Whatabout fade in/outs and NPC facing directions and stuff...?

Also, how do you get the countdown balloon to work? It stops after "5"...
With regard to FAI/O, it's a "fade style" moreover than a direction. (After inside to outside is not a direction...)

And the countdown balloon...
Elaborate please.
Are you just putting it in or is it attached to an enemy (ie. Counter Bomb or Deleet)...?