E3 2013 - Thoughts?

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:41 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Didn't see a thread for this, and I'm interested in some good gaming discussion, so I figured why the hell not. What do you guys think about this year's E3? I think it was definitely a lot more impressive than the last few, I think Sony definitely knocked it out of the park this time around, and I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow morning's Nintendo Direct to see what they're cooking up. Let's not start a console war, but what about you guys? Who do you think impressed you more? Which console (if any) are you planning on getting and for what reasons?

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:57 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Nintendo was cool
Sony was pretty interesting
And the Xbox one is a threat to humanity.

I think I'll stay a pc gamer

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:06 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I do still enjoy console games. Plenty being offered there for me to still be engaged, there's been lots of great console games this generation.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well I'm planning on getting an Xbox One
Planning meaning my older brother is going to get it and therefore I will have access to it

Wii U and PS4 on the other hand, I'm not sure about.
Wii U I do want to get, but I'm not sure if i even can. PS4 I'm pretty sure I will not have, but my best friend's brother is very likely to get it, giving me access to it as well. All of them seem to have had their own ups and downs. In particular, the Xbox One's thing about installing games. Everyone I've talked to about it has seemed to hate it without reason. I, however, think it was a brilliant decision business-wise (effectively eliminating buying used games without them getting revenue) and honestly I am going to be quite happy with it. Mainly because I am not going to ever buy a game for a current or next-gen console. However, if someone were able to lend me their copy while I pay a considerably lower fee than the actual price of the game to have it installed on my console, I would easily be able to get a good collection of console games at a far lower price. I don't see any reason to dislike the idea, in fact.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:18 AM
The things people are upset about regarding the Xbox One are numerous. Mandatory game installs, forced connection to internet in order to play games, no used games, no trading in, you can lend a game to a friend but it disconnects it from your account and you can never take it back, because you are only allowed one game transfer per disc, the list goes on and on. I don't wanna turn this into an anti-Xbox thread, because there may be some people here who want one, but it DOES have numerous glaring issues.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Oh man I really hate the Xbox One. Just terrible, and it's terrible with a price. I'm being perfectly honest here, I've always been a little anti-Sony since the PS3. I don't own a PS3 and I have Gears of War edition 360 Slim. Ever since the disastrous unveiling of the Xbox One, I have been so fed up with all of the decisions Microsoft has made. I was really hoping Sony could save the day, and all of the things I hoped would happen did. Good price, none of that crap Microsoft was pulling, and fairly similar specs (as far as I'm aware). So I'm with Sony for this one, and I very much hope that Microsoft fails this generation unless they can somehow get their act together (it's too late for that now, I think).

In the grand scheme of things though, whatever Sony and Microsoft does doesn't matter to me since I plan to have only the Wii U for this generation. I'm still pissed that Dead Rising 3 is an Xbox One exclusive. Hoping for something cool during the Nintendo segment.

Also, damn PC elitists everywhere.

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
Everyone I've talked to about it has seemed to hate it without reason. I, however, think it was a brilliant decision business-wise (effectively eliminating buying used games without them getting revenue) and honestly I am going to be quite happy with it. Mainly because I am not going to ever buy a game for a current or next-gen console.
If you can't see why people are upset with the Xbox one then you are either delusional or maybe retarded. I hate to be that harsh about it, but really now.

The problem with the changes microsoft is making is that it's cutting out part of their demographic (not everyone has an internet connection, and to those people console games have so far catered to their needs), and for what purpose? For microsoft's. Being constantly online doesn't really seem to benefit the consumer, but only microsoft itself. And this is a similar trend. With the old games you could trade or lend them without the other user having to pay any money. But the new system of paying to install it onto your account benefits microsoft ONLY. This is the problem with all of their new changes, they're all self-serving. They didn't need to make these changes, as proven with old consoles. These changes are anti-consumerist, and that's why they're getting all this flak for it. What makes me sad is that people will still probably buy the system, and microsoft will get exactly what they want, but I'm glad that it's at least causing a bit of a consumer backlash, since it's pretty ridiculous.

I'll probably end up buying a PS4, not because of the Xbox one scandal (not that it hasn't influenced my decision, but...), but because it's sort of the console I've been sticking with since it came out.

DrunkenAppleSaws said:
I don't wanna turn this into an anti-Xbox thread, because there may be some people here who want one, but it DOES have numerous glaring issues.
Given the stir it's created, did you really expect it not to become one though? I'm surprised you didn't mention it in the first post to be honest.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I think it was definitely a lot more impressive than the last few
uhh, E3 didnt start until today...dumbass.
No but seriously E3 starts today.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
liammillay said:
uhh, E3 didnt start until today...dumbass.
No but seriously E3 starts today.
You shouldn't be so impudent about things you're wrong about ;]

I don't want to get an xbox but how will I play halo 7????

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Given the stir it's created, did you really expect it not to become one though? I'm surprised you didn't mention it in the first post to be honest.
It was a bit naive of me to expect it not to become one. I really just meant I didn't want it to become "MICROSOFT IS A WIENER, -insert immature console name pun here-" so thankfully it hasn't yet.

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Not sure which console I want to get. Maybe the PS4? I dunno. I already have a WII U (got deluxe set last Christmas), so I'm not sure how many consoles really get better than that.

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Banned
Sad that Valve isn't taking any part in it.

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Dunc2403 said:
I, however, think it was a brilliant decision business-wise (effectively eliminating buying used games without them getting revenue)
This is why you aren't a businessman, and why everyone thinks you, and anyone who thinks like you (microsoft included), is retarded.

Microsoft is making money, sure, but nobody the fuck else is.

You know that store that sells the game to you? Walmart, or Gamestop, or whatever else?

They don't make money. The Xbone will only make Microsoft money. If every single used transaction is sent directly to Microsoft, it means that stores are losing several HUNDRED percent of the profit in selling the game to you in the first place.

BASIC MATH FOR YOU MISTER BUSINESS.

Walmart, we'll say, buys the game. Usually they'd buy something like this for, say, $20 in bulk, and sell it at $30-$40 for profit. Because Walmart needs to make money to continue existing, you see.

On what grounds does Microsoft determine what 'full retail price' is? If we're to assume it's $40, we could possibly assume that Walmart would have to also buy the game at $40, to resell at $50-$60 to make the same profit. Which means you're paying up to 150% more to buy the game from Walmart as opposed to getting it used from a friend.

If you're getting it used from a friend instead, Walmart makes $0 instead of $20 from this. It's basic logic: why would you buy it from Walmart when you get it cheaper from no retailer at all?

Now, on the flipside, we'll say Walmart notices this after an extended period of time of not profiting off of games because everyone's passing a used game around anyway.

Microsoft Profits: $400. Walmart Profits: $80.

This might not seem like a problem to YOU (yet), because you're a selfish little twat, but as soon as Walmart stops selling the game, or if some other store goes bankrupt entirely, you won't be able to buy the games at all from anywhere other than China.

"BUT WAIT CAN'T PEOPLE ALREADY PASS A GAME AROUND AND GIVE BOTH COMPANIES LESS MONEY?!?!?!?!?!11!!?!?"

No, because in the case of owning games as a physical disk or cartridge, you either need to own it to play the game at all, or want to hang onto it in case your console breaks and you need a new one. You don't give away the cartridge or disk, because you want to hang onto it, because you own it.

This is the opposite. You might posses the disk, but you don't own the contents of the disk, but rather a singular copy of those contents. After you use that singular copy, you literally have no need to own the disk, because it installs the copy on the machine anyway. Moreover, chances are good that you can redownload the game online with your same profile if you did it once before (and if not it just lengthens the list of problems here). Since you no longer need the disk, you are pretty much obligated to getting the fuck rid of it - and since no retailer will buy it from you since nobody in their right mind will pay for it used when they have to pay the Microsoft fee afterward anyway, you're going to give it to other consumers directly.

Also,

Mainly because I am not going to ever buy a game for a current or next-gen console
The Xbox One is not backwards compatible. At all.
They call it "Backwards thinking".

Have fun with your $500 cable box that requires another cable box, though. Dipshit.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM
ZarroTsu said:
This, to me, is one of the most hilarious things about their thought process. PS4 isn't backwards compatible either, but Sony explained it as being necessary to remove because otherwise the console would be a hundred to a couple hundred dollars more expensive. Which is true. But to make up for it, they're going to add a library of PS3 games to the PS4's Network Store that you can download and play through what is basically emulation, and that's a great thing for them to do.

And then you have Microsoft.

"Backwards compatibility is stupid because we said so."
And they're not even gonna have any 360 games available on their store either. For shame, Microsoft. The whole thing is a bit tragic the way I look at it, since I find great enjoyment out of both the PS3 and the 360 (despite the 360's notable issues like RRoD), and I was hoping both consoles would turn out great this time around so I could keep playing and supporting both. Guess not.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Also there are a lot of people who still own and play the PS2, while on the other hand I don't think anyone even remembers that there was an Xbox before the 360.

And with their naming decision 'Xbox One', they probably don't WANT people to remember it either.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Well first off, again, I think it was a brilliant business decision for Microsoft. Eliminating the middle man and getting tons more revenue? I don't see where that can go wrong, because that's what you just played out in your post. However...

Have fun with your $500 cable box that requires another cable box, though. Dipshit.
Yeah see I was not aware of this fuck microsoft backwards compatibility is /important/

Regardless it's not like I have a choice whether or not to get an Xbox One so I guess I can experience firsthand how bad the rest of it is

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
To say the least, I'm not too keen on Microsoft's decision to charge people full price for a used game(especially if it's a game from a couple years ago). Plus, everyone knows the PS4 is better than the XBox 1 'cause 4 is bigger than 1 XD.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Dunc2403 said:
Eliminating the middle man and getting tons more revenue? I don't see where that can go wrong, because that's what you just played out in your post.
If the middle man is eliminated, how would you buy the game in the first place?

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Jun 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Nintendo is still master race, even though I am rather happy with the PS4's showing too. I can tell Microsoft is basically digging its own grave in the console wars now.

While I'm not really stoked about Mario Kart 8 just being Mario Kart 7 with more stuff, Mega Man in Smash Bros. is gonna be awesome. I have mixed feelings about the Fairy type in Pokemon, but I have to agree it puts a lot of balance in the game.

Cat Mario... How many animal suits are we going to get? And now the incredihard indie game will be lost amid speculation for this new suit...

Still hoping for F-Zero U. :p