Dreams of Reality 2

May 31, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
After 312 minutes of uploading, IT'S FINALLY DONE.
(I recommend you watch at a high volume, my voice is really quiet, because I was recording this one really late last night, when only my sister and I were awake at the time.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUYVWjGXHg

My thoughts:

If there's one definitive thing I can say about DoR2, it's that it's very one-of-kind. I don't think anyone other than you has really attempted (and somewhat succeeded) at scaring the player in their sessions whilst playing through a mod, and that's pretty impressive.
The new aesthetics, (The moon is fucking eye candy) for the most part, are decent, though lack variety once inside the mansion itself, aside from some of the ending tiles, ie: Curly and Toroko. I gotta say though, the darkened tiles outside are nothing new, but they certainly help add the the atmosphere of the game, so kudos to you there.
In terms of music, the lack thereof said aspect was, admittedly, a bit bothersome for some portions, but I can see why it was done, and I respect that decision to its fullest degree, I just don't quite think the execution was achieved to its fullest extent. Though I will say the Sonic room theme has grown to really strike both fear and grudging into my heart whenever I hear it.
The nonexistence of save points got really annoying at points, but once again, I can see why it was done, especially considering some of the deaths require you to die, but it really wouldn't have hurt to put a couple in some corridors, would it?
Overall, I see a lot of potential in a mod this unique, mainly because of its atmosphere and ambitions. Pretty good, though not without its minor urks here and there.

May 31, 2014 at 3:40 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
From the rough 5 minutes I played, I sorta enjoyed it.
Granted, I'm not one for scary stuff, so hence why I stopped after 5 minutes. I got 2 of the 7 endings within that short time frame.
The Sonic.EXE thing I believe and the falling in first pit with the basement thing
I liked some of the few things that player would try to do when said bad ending happened. (I found myself trying to esc f2, which closes the game out, but that was changed through ASM) The whole "taking notes and posting in the topic that you got this game from" was kind of a neat touch in a way.

What I have to say in 2 sentences:
Although I will never finish this, I can appreciate how much effort went into this. From a quick glance, I can tell how much modding and ASMing went into it.

May 31, 2014 at 4:37 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Nadojin said:
After 312 minutes of uploading, IT'S FINALLY DONE.
(I recommend you watch at a high volume, my voice is really quiet, because I was recording this one really late last night, when only my sister and I were awake at the time.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUYVWjGXHg

My thoughts:

If there's one definitive thing I can say about DoR2, it's that it's very one-of-kind. I don't think anyone other than you has really attempted (and somewhat succeeded) at scaring the player in their sessions whilst playing through a mod, and that's pretty impressive.
The new aesthetics, (The moon is fucking eye candy) for the most part, are decent, though lack variety once inside the mansion itself, aside from some of the ending tiles, ie: Curly and Toroko. I gotta say though, the darkened tiles outside are nothing new, but they certainly help add the the atmosphere of the game, so kudos to you there.
In terms of music, the lack thereof said aspect was, admittedly, a bit bothersome for some portions, but I can see why it was done, and I respect that decision to its fullest degree, I just don't quite think the execution was achieved to its fullest extent. Though I will say the Sonic room theme has grown to really strike both fear and grudging into my heart whenever I hear it.
The nonexistence of save points got really annoying at points, but once again, I can see why it was done, especially considering some of the deaths require you to die, but it really wouldn't have hurt to put a couple in some corridors, would it?
Overall, I see a lot of potential in a mod this unique, mainly because of its atmosphere and ambitions. Pretty good, though not without its minor urks here and there.
thanks I really likes how the moon turned out myself.

(actually it was really easy, just perfotm a surface blur on the normal bkmoon bitmap and resize the thing. and possibly not in that order)

Also, I can see how the save thing would help, I though about throwing a skipflag here or there so that you wouldn't have to reset completely. (I disabled the save thing pretty much and removed it from the title screen via selector)

I thank you for your comments and feedback....

...but, I am very, very done with this mod. Outside of fixing fatal bugs and typos, I don't ever want to see it again honestly. (but a good kind of way.)

I'm gonna go make a happy-land mod now and finish SS.

P.S I'll watch the video sometime tomorrow, I have things to attend to this evening sadly.

Rubyyoshi said:
From the rough 5 minutes I played, I sorta enjoyed it.
Granted, I'm not one for scary stuff, so hence why I stopped after 5 minutes. I got 2 of the 7 endings within that short time frame.
The Sonic.EXE thing I believe and the falling in first pit with the basement thing
I liked some of the few things that player would try to do when said bad ending happened. (I found myself trying to esc f2, which closes the game out, but that was changed through ASM) The whole "taking notes and posting in the topic that you got this game from" was kind of a neat touch in a way.
What I have to say in 2 sentences:
Although I will never finish this, I can appreciate how much effort went into this. From a quick glance, I can tell how much modding and ASMing went into it.
Thank you, it was quite the adventure to make.

May 31, 2014 at 4:42 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
so I said I was going to stream tonight but then when I came home from school I was tired and my bed looked so comfy and then suddenly I was lying in it and it was 8:30 PM

May 31, 2014 at 4:44 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I understand completely

May 31, 2014 at 4:49 AM
Perpetually out of it
Simple Sleep Deprivation just doesn't do you justice sometimes.

May 31, 2014 at 7:12 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
pretty cool game!
I died though
You want more detail? Let's see...

It was fun to explore the mansion, but without save points or something I eventually just gave up. Dying was aggrivating, when you have to repeat the same thing...

The Curly battle was NICE btw. I tried to check out her head when it fell off and it kinda got me... lol
I loved the spinning effect, and the battle was kinda tough when I thought the body would be instant death as well, but after figuring it wasn't, it was all too easy.

Yay best ending... ... .... . . . . . (CURLY FACE HAUNTS QUOTE)

Spikes spikes grah. I bumped into spikes a couple times in the toroko spike maze. I do like what you did though. Sonic's appearence though...
Well maybe some people have a fear of hedgehogs.

Anyway, TOROKO WT.
Guess there is no way to tap and escape... that's cruel sad face lol

I read Jon's note about the bookcase, and found that secret area... Hmm.
Nothing. Don't get the whole red save spot message. "I wonder........" ,...What???
I do like the idea of an endless passage/staircase, that might lead to a final area or something... but grah, that message led to confusion and wasted time lol

Eventually I read about the falling passage thing. I figured there might be something if you fell in the right one, and I DID notice those blocks, but I didn't really want to fall to test that theory, knowing I had to start over.
After knowing about it though, I did the spike jetpack trial.

,,,,.. ..... had to work on tapping better... after several failed attempts... I made it... what the heck is with the bed.

Anyway, made it .... ..... but what.... now?
I tried going back to the beginning, but no luck. I went to the right and left and game over... best ending.. Curly lives... I guess....

Repeat, killed curly, no change... left....
Repeat, look around for secret passage.. "White Cross..." No luck.

I gave up. BNlarghgsrlkgjlskdjglsjdgs

Oh, I did do the shadow room with the Quote shadow.... hmm.... ??????
AnywayAnywayAnywayAnywayAnywayAnyway

Anyway lol nice work. It's pretty awesome, just needs less aggrivation, and more direction ... It wasn't clear enough when events had a purpose and when they were just for atmosphere, or if I needed to hit all of the events to trigger something or what...

Keep up the good work! Would have been a great halloween holiday release~

May 31, 2014 at 2:28 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
X-Calibar said:
pretty cool game!
I died though
You want more detail? Let's see...

It was fun to explore the mansion, but without save points or something I eventually just gave up. Dying was aggrivating, when you have to repeat the same thing...

The Curly battle was NICE btw. I tried to check out her head when it fell off and it kinda got me... lol
I loved the spinning effect, and the battle was kinda tough when I thought the body would be instant death as well, but after figuring it wasn't, it was all too easy.

Yay best ending... ... .... . . . . . (CURLY FACE HAUNTS QUOTE)

Spikes spikes grah. I bumped into spikes a couple times in the toroko spike maze. I do like what you did though. Sonic's appearence though...
Well maybe some people have a fear of hedgehogs.

Anyway, TOROKO WT.
Guess there is no way to tap and escape... that's cruel sad face lol

I read Jon's note about the bookcase, and found that secret area... Hmm.
Nothing. Don't get the whole red save spot message. "I wonder........" ,...What???
I do like the idea of an endless passage/staircase, that might lead to a final area or something... but grah, that message led to confusion and wasted time lol

Eventually I read about the falling passage thing. I figured there might be something if you fell in the right one, and I DID notice those blocks, but I didn't really want to fall to test that theory, knowing I had to start over.
After knowing about it though, I did the spike jetpack trial.

,,,,.. ..... had to work on tapping better... after several failed attempts... I made it... what the heck is with the bed.

Anyway, made it .... ..... but what.... now?
I tried going back to the beginning, but no luck. I went to the right and left and game over... best ending.. Curly lives... I guess....

Repeat, killed curly, no change... left....
Repeat, look around for secret passage.. "White Cross..." No luck.

I gave up. BNlarghgsrlkgjlskdjglsjdgs

Oh, I did do the shadow room with the Quote shadow.... hmm.... ??????
AnywayAnywayAnywayAnywayAnywayAnyway

Anyway lol nice work. It's pretty awesome, just needs less aggrivation, and more direction ... It wasn't clear enough when events had a purpose and when they were just for atmosphere, or if I needed to hit all of the events to trigger something or what...

Keep up the good work! Would have been a great halloween holiday release~
Thank you, I realise that the game is not perfect, but I can assure you that persistence can get you many rewards, if you try hard enough.

The game lacks rhythm, because I wanted things to be hidden well, (actually I though I didn't hide enough content, well enough)

@Nadojin, thank you for making the video, I watched and took some notes.

I might revise the game....sometime.

May 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
p184514-0-7773ad85e62e4f4f4a97cc2d8824afb3.png

Man, you really have to play hard in order to get those two more hidden endings.

May 31, 2014 at 9:43 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
EnlightenedOne said:
p184514-0-7773ad85e62e4f4f4a97cc2d8824afb3.png

Man, you really have to play hard in order to get those two more hidden endings.
It seems that the insanity did make you invincible.

I'm proud of you, you've gotten all 7 endings. (of course you had a week long head start, but still wonderful job)

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:18 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Jun 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
I really liked this mod. There were only two things that really bothered me about it.
JonSpider said:
the path to it in a place that is confirmed to have pits with instant-death spikes in it and seemingly no escape unless you go in this one specific pit and find out you can hold the wall to your right to phase through.
This part was just far too frustrating and I only managed to do it twice, and never got to the ending that it leads to. The other thing was something far less significant.
That ORG of the Sonic drowning theme sounds nothing like the original, but maybe that was intentional. Maybe it was supposed to sound different but it just bothers me.
Also, Spirit, Aar was there too, and you must thank him.
Spiritga said:
DONE! THANKS FOR COMING:
NAMELESS
NADOJIN
ENLIGHTENED ONE
​TPCOOL​

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Thatnamelessguy said:
I really liked this mod. There were only two things that really bothered me about it.
This part was just far too frustrating and I only managed to do it twice, and never got to the ending that it leads to. The other thing was something far less significant.
That ORG of the Sonic drowning theme sounds nothing like the original, but maybe that was intentional. Maybe it was supposed to sound different but it just bothers me.
It's really simple it's a straight pattern where the visible tiles get less and less.

Capture_zps54cb7fae.png

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM
To be honest that room is incredibly easy (compared to the nigh-impossible ones). I only died a couple times untill I realized what Bombchu did, and I havn't accidentally fallen into the spikes since.

And a hint for the phased right wall:
You have to pay close attention to the visible tiles along the walls of the pits, because the sprites of the tile are diffrent around the hidden passage.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Forever 12
I was afraid to play it far, When I saw sonic.exe sonic with my brother, I litterally ran out of the room and left my brother with the game and was like, "I'm not witnessing this, its your problem now B!tch!

Come on bombchu, You seriously said no jumpscares, and yet there was one

(actually I couldn't tell, considering the fact I refused to play with my headset on, correct me if I'm wrong)

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Parkraft123 said:
are you fucking kidding me
there's a message WHEN YOU FIRST START THE GAME
telling you to press escape if you're afraid of this or something and that there are jumpscares.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Based Member
Thatnamelessguy said:
telling you to press escape if you're afraid of this or something and that there are jumpscares.
To be fair, Bombchu did say in the OP that it has no jumpscares, and it is kind of counter-intuitive to give your player a mixed signal. I meant to comment on this earlier, but I forgot.

On another note, I have some additional feedback that I've been meaning to give. Potential spoilers:
I personally didn't have a problem with that hidden passage that led to the Booster 2.0. I felt that the invisible blocks were a pretty fair implication that there was a hidden passage somewhere. I even tried all those sides my first playthrough. I didn't get it until I tried a second time though, even though I could have sworn that I went up against that area the first time. Also, I beg to differ from Jon on his opinion that the bookshelf at the far end of the foyer of the mansion wasn't obvious enough. The fact that it was a bookshelf at the far end, and the fireplace nearby really indicated to me that there was something interesting over there.

That being said, I felt that the spike placing on the initial room near the start of the booster challenge was unreasonable. After you come up from that lower part up to those steps of spikes where you have to land right on the edge of the platform, that's asking the player to make too precise of a movement in too little time, and only giving them one shot at it. I had to edit that set of spikes out of the level in order to proceed. I've also yet to figure out the significance of the red save point that appears in the fireplace and the shadow Quote that you follow downstairs, despite putting in quite some time trying to figure out what they mean. I'm also assuming that you can't turn back after you get the Booster 2.0, because I was unable to. In my personal opinion, you haven't given obvious enough hints as to what you're supposed to do to get the more cryptic endings.

I realize that EO was able to find all the endings, but given that he was one of your beta testers, something tells me that you gave him some more personal hints, and that he possibly looked at the scripts some. Forgive me if this assumption is incorrect.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
HaydenStudios said:
To be fair, Bombchu did say in the OP that it has no jumpscares, and it is kind of counter-intuitive to give your player a mixed signal. I meant to comment on this earlier, but I forgot.

On another note, I have some additional feedback that I've been meaning to give. Potential spoilers:
I personally didn't have a problem with that hidden passage that led to the Booster 2.0. I felt that the invisible blocks were a pretty fair implication that there was a hidden passage somewhere. I even tried all those sides my first playthrough. I didn't get it until I tried a second time though, even though I could have sworn that I went up against that area the first time. Also, I beg to differ from Jon on his opinion that the bookshelf at the far end of the foyer of the mansion wasn't obvious enough. The fact that it was a bookshelf at the far end, and the fireplace nearby really indicated to me that there was something interesting over there.

That being said, I felt that the spike placing on the initial room near the start of the booster challenge was unreasonable. After you come up from that lower part up to those steps of spikes where you have to land right on the edge of the platform, that's asking the player to make too precise of a movement in too little time, and only giving them one shot at it. I had to edit that set of spikes out of the level in order to proceed. I've also yet to figure out the significance of the red save point that appears in the fireplace and the shadow Quote that you follow downstairs, despite putting in quite some time trying to figure out what they mean. I'm also assuming that you can't turn back after you get the Booster 2.0, because I was unable to. In my personal opinion, you haven't given obvious enough hints as to what you're supposed to do to get the more cryptic endings.

I realize that EO was able to find all the endings, but given that he was one of your beta testers, something tells me that you gave him some more personal hints, and that he possibly looked at the scripts some. Forgive me if this assumption is incorrect.
I didn't really give him hints, (okay, maybe one, but he would have found it out himself because he swore he already checked it)

exe doesn't really count as a jumpscare.....you get a full 20 second warning that he's going to get you.

But yeah, that
curly head
does count I guess. *OP fixed*

Also, the endings aren't hidden that well, just some walk-through tiles hidden here and there.

and yes you can return to the beginning of the mansion with the boosters, just not the way you think.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:23 AM
To be fair, Bombchu did say in the OP that it has no jumpscares, and it is kind of counter-intuitive to give your player a mixed signal. I meant to comment on this earlier, but I forgot.On another note, I have some additional feedback that I've been meaning to give. Potential spoilers:
I personally didn't have a problem with that hidden passage that led to the Booster 2.0. I felt that the invisible blocks were a pretty fair implication that there was a hidden passage somewhere. I even tried all those sides my first playthrough. I didn't get it until I tried a second time though, even though I could have sworn that I went up against that area the first time. Also, I beg to differ from Jon on his opinion that the bookshelf at the far end of the foyer of the mansion wasn't obvious enough. The fact that it was a bookshelf at the far end, and the fireplace nearby really indicated to me that there was something interesting over there.That being said, I felt that the spike placing on the initial room near the start of the booster challenge was unreasonable. After you come up from that lower part up to those steps of spikes where you have to land right on the edge of the platform, that's asking the player to make too precise of a movement in too little time, and only giving them one shot at it. I had to edit that set of spikes out of the level in order to proceed. I've also yet to figure out the significance of the red save point that appears in the fireplace and the shadow Quote that you follow downstairs, despite putting in quite some time trying to figure out what they mean. I'm also assuming that you can't turn back after you get the Booster 2.0, because I was unable to. In my personal opinion, you haven't given obvious enough hints as to what you're supposed to do to get the more cryptic endings.I realize that EO was able to find all the endings, but given that he was one of your beta testers, something tells me that you gave him some more personal hints, and that he possibly looked at the scripts some. Forgive me if this assumption is incorrect.
I didn't really give him hints, (okay, maybe one, but he would have found it out himself because he swore he already checked it)

exe doesn't really count as a jumpscare.....you get a full 20 second warning that he's going to get you.

But yeah, that
curly head
does count I guess. *OP fixed*

Also, the endings aren't hidden that well, just some walk-through tiles hidden here and there.

and yes you can return to the beginning of the mansion with the boosters, just not the way you think.
Hayden is more right on this regard I'm afraid. (But it wasn't entirely a cheating method either.)

Without giving anything away or saying anything worthy of spoiler tags: There are two endings of which I consider to be very hard to find and very hard to survive, though Bombchu I believe did add a single checkpoint halfway through both of them in a later release. A little bit tolerable but still extremely punishing.

Here's the thing: both of the things I were missing were actually stuff I already knew, but later either forgotten or just didn't think it was important, and gave up.

Bombchu had to say a few ambiguous things to guide me to the room of one, which immediately I knew myself what to do, but didn't know how to get there (and choosing wrong was death.... So I gave up thinking it futile).

For the second, I was forced to look up which maps I didn't play, and then used Booster's Lab to find which map had the <TRA to them. It was the same thing as the first: I knew instantly what it was I had to do once I knew the map it originates from (because I had noticed it earlier and thought about checking it out, but forgot to do that once it was possible to get there).

This is by no means a defense, as yes it's kinda ridiculous without knowing specifically which maps have importance and which maps are completely useless.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:41 AM
Perpetually out of it
HaydenStudios said:

While having the same person say conflicting things about their mod is no doubt the case here, it seems very shallow of Parkraft to completely disregard the intro for the game and be entirely convinced by the OP, which, I might add, is easier to miss than the intro.