Do you listen to music while you mod?

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Simple Question,

Do you listen to music while you mod Cave Story

I do (why would I make this thread if I didn't :p)

It's mostly the Sonic Soundtracks unleashed/colors/generations and A sleeping destiny

What about you?

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wubs evryday
Or homestuck

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I usually listen to various Mega Man soundtracks whenever I mod, but if I'm stuck on something and I need to concentrate I gotta turn that off.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM
"Huzzah!"
Though I don't mod, I do program using GML (Game Maker Language). Whenever I work on my Cave Story project, I listen to music. This includes conceptual art, graphics, 3D modeling, and programming. I will rarely listen to music if I'm writing story or brainstorming on game mechanics and such though. Also, I will never listen to music if I am making music for a game... haha, sorry, I thought it was a little funny...

The music I listen to will usually be from a video game. Recently, I've listened to some reorchestrated versions of the Golden Sun 1&2 OST. I've also been listening to the Total Annihilation OST, and I will sometimes open up my mod (modulation) collection of chip-style music which is all collected from modarchive.org and from the freeware video game "Lyle in Cube Sector" (you will find all of the tracks from Lyle in Cube Sector at modarchive though). Every once in a while I will also listen to Dubmood's chip-style music. I will also listen to various JRPG soundtracks; ones with high energy and fast drums, or sometimes more emotional ones like Sanctuary from KH. Because I have a thing for cute girl voices, the past 4 days I've pretty much just been listening to the newest album from Dal Shabet (name is Korean; means "Refreshing sherbet"), which is a k-pop girl group. And I've also been listening to familyjules7x's music, which tends to be metal and very awesome, and you can find him on YouTube. A lot of the time I will listen to music found in various animes as well, and I may even listen to some nightcore. Sometimes I'll give Pendulum a listen, or some other good DnB, maybe some chillstep (some Blackmill falls into this category, like "Miracle") or dubstep. Might throw in some Noisia, like the 16-bit Machine Gun remix. It all depends on what I think will be inspirational/motivational at the time. I use music as a means to kinda stay focused/awake or just to make me go "yeah! YEAH! I'm making cool stuff!" Music just tends to keep me excited about what I'm doing, which is why I listen to music most of the time that I'm making anything, Cave Story stuff included, of course.

EDIT:

Randolf reminded me: I have also been listening to Celldweller as I work on stuff. Mainly the Voicians remix of "Louder Than Words", and Drop Wave's remix of "Switchback".

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:03 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I do honestly, it really helps.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
For me... I actually don't.

Usually music helps me get past mundane tasks... But when thinking creatively I keep finding myself pausing the current song frequently because I can just think clearly that way...

Though if I have to copy-paste a bunch of TSC code and change the parameters in a repeating fashion (like <ANP'ing a bunch of npcs to do the same thing... Because for some reason that command doesn't work for multiple entities with the same event #) then music wouldn't bother me... But it doesn't come to that often...

Another thing is that I think I run the game way too frequently, so 85% of the time I'm modding it's whatever the cave story music is while I test...

Maybe I should give it another go.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Of course, it's a wierd time when i don't do it.

I have a few playlists that play music based on how i feel(ex. happy music, calm, sad), and sometimes i just play youtube videos in the background for simple noise.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
It depends.

If my father's at home, I don't play music while I mod (because I'm not allowed to). When my father's away to work, however, I play music then... if I remember :p

In the event that I do listen to music, it's usually random ".org" files on my computer, or Pokémon / Kingdom Hearts / Draglade songs.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Yep~ I try to listen to music related to the task at hand.
I find myself very influenced by what I listen to... I even let music shape ideas more often than not.

Though there are times when silence is golden~ and, I almost always use headphones when others are around. Lest I become self-conscious of what I'm listening to.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I listen to music that I made.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Yes, I like listening to music while I mod. I generally just put on some headphones and listen to whatever is in my music library. Which means I listen to anything from almost 400 songs of genres as varied as videogame osts to hip-hop to YTPMVs to funeral music.

It helps me stay focused. ^_^

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I open OrgView and listen to whichever song the area I'm making will play. Just to add the (uhhhhh...) feeling of the song into my level design and NPC dialogue.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I can't listen to music while trying to work on things, it's too distracting for me. For an online game I play a lot I might put some on in place of the regular music after a while, but that's about all.

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM
Based Member
There are some things that I like to listen to music while doing, and Cave Story modding is not one of them. I usually need to concentrate whenever I'm modding, which is something I can't do very well with music going. And I'll be testing the mod every one to fifteen minutes, so even if I did like listening to music while I was doing that, it would overlap the mod's music, which would be distracting, like EnlightenedOne said.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
If I'm on YouTube, I generally listen to longer songs so that I don't have to switch it much. This means that I listen to a lot of longer psychedelic rock such as 17 minute "In A Gadda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly or, Progressive rock such as "Tarkus" or "Karn Evil 9" by Emerson Lake & Palmer.

If I have access to my Ipod, the list is much more diverse including Rock & Roll, Folk, Classical, Blues, Jazz, Hard rock, Metal, Protopunk, and grunge as well.

So When I'm modding I listen to pretty much the music I usually do minus a few things my dad didn't own.

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I play orgyana viewer when I mod.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:43 AM
War criminal
I would listen to either game music or whatever music on my mp3 player when I mod.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I usually listen to some of my favorite cave story musics, like white or moonsong, and it really helps.