Do Humans and Mimigas speak the same language?

May 6, 2011 at 1:32 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
We accept that everyone can understand each other... but is that really true?

The big hint I can think of is when Sue looks at Quote's cap and says... That isn't a language they have on the island... (although she means written language, usually a written language and a spoken language go hand in hand..; also it doesn't seem she knows he is a robot, so I don't think it is some kind of computer language; that would be odd anyways, for a hat I imagine)

So... do Mimigas and Humans have the same language?

I would imagine Quote just automatically understands what anyone says/auto translates for him.

Sue's quote about the language leaves the possiblity that we cannot tell when the humans or the mimigas are speaking in various languages. And that the humans have just learnt the language of the island.

The humans on the island currently are all specialized scientists who have been studying the island...; even Sue seems to know the language of the island from her quote. So...

I guess there's not much to go on. ... But, what do you think?

It only makes sense that due to the secluded nature of the floating island, with an entirely different species would have a different language or splinter language from the surface...

Just something I was wondering about lol

May 6, 2011 at 1:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It could be theorized that since the text on Quote's hat is in english (it supposedly says "Curly Brace" on it if I recall) that the language of the island is not english. This would make sense, since the game is originally in japanese. Plus the research team that comes to the island is primarily japanese (Date, Momorin, Kazuma, etc.) and they all can speak with the mimiga.

From there I would come to the conclusion that the mimiga speak japanese.

May 6, 2011 at 1:36 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
tl;dr

Remember that quote never speaks, and mimigas can't read the CURLY BRACE (presumably in Japanese too) on his hat either. The fact that mimigas and humans can speak to each other is just one hole in the massive block (some would say "wedge" :chin:)of cheese that is fantasy games/TV. Will we ever understand why Pluto, Micky Mouses's dog acts like a regular dog while Goofy can talk? Nope, but does anyone mind/care? Nope.

May 6, 2011 at 1:44 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Cave Story said:
I never want to see you posting that again, especially in the theories section

Also x cal considering that there are a couple points in game where mimigas and humans actually talk to each other, they would probably speak the same language. I think GIR has the right idea here.

May 6, 2011 at 2:00 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
sexplosive said:
I never want to see you posting that again, especially in the theories section

Sorry, just got back from three hours of martial arts right after two hours of a Frisbee game. I've read it now.

May 6, 2011 at 3:03 AM
Been here way too long...
Cave Story said:
a Frisbee game.
Yay you aren't actually the lamest person ever! :chin:

Anyway, may I point y'all here? I think we decided it unlikely that they would speak the same language, as there is so much difference just in our human society. That thread is pretty much dead due to lack of effort on your half (yes, it is your personal fault), but if you have ACTUAL content feel free to bump. All current ideas I think were off the table.

May 6, 2011 at 3:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I would argue that the mimigas have to speak the same language as the humans, since otherwise Sue probably wouldn't be able to talk to the mimigas, and neither would the doctor or any of the other humans (and same for the robots, unless they somehow had the language preloaded).

It's a much simpler theory to assume that they do speak some sort of human language. The buildings they live in suggest that they have been in contact with humans for quite some time (and the Gunsmith lives nearby too).

May 6, 2011 at 3:18 AM
game logic

May 6, 2011 at 3:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
The big hint I can think of is when Sue looks at Quote's cap and says... That isn't a language they have on the island... (although she means written language, usually a written language and a spoken language go hand in hand..; also it doesn't seem she knows he is a robot, so I don't think it is some kind of computer language; that would be odd anyways, for a hat I imagine)
In the Japanese version the hat (according to Pixel) reads "curly brace" (in English btw). So the hat is in English and everyone speaks (and writes) Japanese. The computer terminals (from what I heard of the Japanese version they were in English) should indicate that English is used on the surface (where the computers likely originated), but it is quite likely that all parties speak Japanese.

Vice versa for the English version. Well... except for the computer terminals.

May 6, 2011 at 3:32 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
andwhyisit said:
In the Japanese version the hat (according to Pixel) reads "curly brace" (in English btw).

I thought his hat only read 'Curly Brace' in the beta pics, back when Quote's name was going to be Curly. Now I'm compelled to play the Japanese version.

May 6, 2011 at 4:23 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I would argue that the mimigas have to speak the same language as the humans, since otherwise Sue probably wouldn't be able to talk to the mimigas, and neither would the doctor or any of the other humans (and same for the robots, unless they somehow had the language preloaded).

It's a much simpler theory to assume that they do speak some sort of human language. The buildings they live in suggest that they have been in contact with humans for quite some time (and the Gunsmith lives nearby too).

Island was originally human kingdom. Mimiga? Probably magical in nature. Maybe as slaves, servants, or pets. Eitherway, once that first language is embedded and passed down from generation to generation, it's reasonable to assume that's why the Mimiga speak a human language... plus Jenka & Ballos both speak it, and they're both just as old as the island is. Secondly, for convenience of story telling, it happens to be the same language as the folks that came to the island. Sue likely recognizes (and can read) Quote's hat because in modern japan, english is taught at school alongside japanese. (Though their english is usually terrible, and the root of most of the 'engrish' hilarities) Still, that is likely how sue can read it, and the Mimiga cannot. Now, I cannot recall any written language being mentioned by the Mimiga, however they -do- have books here and there. It's probably that some of them can read [japanese]. Well, hiragana since kanji is a nightmare.

May 6, 2011 at 6:13 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Cripplechair said:
I thought his hat only read 'Curly Brace' in the beta pics, back when Quote's name was going to be Curly. Now I'm compelled to play the Japanese version.
No it isn't shown in the game. Pixel "told" us that "Curly Brace" was written on Quote's hat. He wrote his entire response in Japanese except for the words "Curly Brace", which was in English. The beta pics since confirmed that the words "Curly Brace" were written on the hat in English. Since the original game was in Japanese Pixel's answer would of course apply to the Japanese version of the game.

May 6, 2011 at 6:47 AM
In the English version, we assume that everyone speaks English and Quote's hat is in Japanese.

May 6, 2011 at 7:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dubby said:
Mimiga? Probably magical in nature.
It should be noted that Mimigas are only native to the island, suggesting that the island never came from the surface. Even supposing that Mimigas were created with "magic" and that the island came from the surface that would still mean that either there would be Mimigas on the surface, which is not the case, or that they were created afterwards when everyone was dead (since under that assumption the island would be the kingdom mentioned in hell), which doesn't work since they are dead an' all. If the island was always in the sky and the kingdom mentioned in hell was on the island then why is anything on the island alive? Why would Jenka create them when she needed her power to keep Ballos confined? How would Ballos create them if he was insane and imprisoned? Misery? She lacked the power to do so.

In summary:
Mimigas are not made with magic. They are naturally evolved creatures.

May 6, 2011 at 7:23 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
My theory is that Quote and Curly can speak whatever the hell and understand whatever the hell they want. I think that they were installed with a translation software and it makes it unfair to use them as an example. With that in mind, I'm thinking of this. Since the research team was sent up recently, and that the Island isn't really anything new, and people wanted to get it for the Crown (which isn't implied if the 10 year ago raid was the first of it's kind), I'm thinking that either 1) The Mimigas speak "common" or whatever language the surface dwellers speak, or 2) There's a separate Mimiga tongue and script, and Sue talks to you in "surface common" since she thinks that you're a human at first.

May 6, 2011 at 8:31 AM
/end
andwhyisit said:
They are magically evolved creatures.

I fixed it, somewhat.

With all the funky stuff that is on the island it is fully possible that Mimigas evolved from normal rabbits after it rose to the sky.

May 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
This is what must have happened (6:16-6:27)

May 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MetaSeraphim said:
I fixed it, somewhat.

With all the funky stuff that is on the island it is fully possible that Mimigas evolved from normal rabbits after it rose to the sky.
You cannot evolve Mimigas from rabbits. Physically impossible. Each minor trait in the process of evolution must be positive. Negative traits are weeded out by natural selection, causing positive traits to thrive. Rabbits would lose some of their natural speed in the process of becoming Mimigas, the very thing that protects them from predators. As this is a negative trait such an evolutionary path cannot be met.

Now you may argue for the possibility of a zero predator environment, but the absence of natural selection means that negative and positive traits are being mixed back into the gene pool, meaning that evolution would grind to a halt, like with humans for instance.

In any case, what rabbits? What gives you the assumption that rabbits exist or have existed in Cave Story's world. Though if rabbits did exist in Cave Story's word then that is likely because they share an evolutionary ancestor, not because Mimigas evolved directly from rabbits. But lets go down that path for a moment. That would suggest that the island has resided in the sky for millions of years. Although I would have to admit that such is likely the case either way considering the Mimigas' exclusivity to that floating island. But again, there is little evidence of the existence of rabbits in cave story.

And in regards to "magical evolution"...

Seriously Ballos and Jenka are a lot more powerful than the average magic user. If Misery is an indication of the average magical power of humans then it is doubtful that someone created Mimigas or "evolved" them with magic.

Though by god I would find it both hilarious and fitting if Pixel said that the Mimigas were felines. :chin:

May 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM
/end
andwhyisit said:
In any case, what rabbits? What gives you the assumption that rabbits exist or have existed in Cave Story's world.

What gives you the assumption Mimigas weren't changed by magic and that the normal process of evolution even applies to the Cave Story island?

This is an island where there is a magic floating core that keeps Ballos' power in check, a ghost dog that can speak a language Quote understands (He didn't understand the other dogs), a witch, another witch, a unamed Goddess and Ballos himself who wiped out an entire Kingdom with his power. And of course the red flowers. Using any type of real world theories to explain stuff in Cave Story is absurd.

May 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MetaSeraphim said:
What gives you the assumption Mimigas weren't changed by magic and that the normal process of evolution even applies to the Cave Story island?

This is an island where there is a magic floating core that keeps Ballos' power in check, a ghost dog that can speak a language Quote understands (He didn't understand the other dogs), a witch, another witch, a unamed Goddess and Ballos himself who wiped out an entire Kingdom with his power. And of course the red flowers. Using any type of real world theories to explain stuff in Cave Story is absurd.
Yet you still maintain the absurd "real world" notion that rabbits exist or even once existed in this world. You can't have it both ways.