Curly's Past

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
This was just me polishing and wrapping up someone else's defunct mod (Kaeso's). The year four home is just a leftover.

However, HaydenStudios does plan to eventually make a continuation of this (though the part that is already made will also be severely reworked).

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it ^_^

Did you play the whole mod or do you still have some way to go?

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "The altered dialog for when Jenka retrieves Curly is better, but it might also make sense to have her face picture appear."
I considered it... but since Curly has her eyes closed and we haven't been properly introduced to Jenka yet, I decided to leave it that way.
Ok, I guess that makes sense.
Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "Although, I don't know why you removed the "-Anonymous" from the end of the letter. I think it should have stayed there."
I didn't see the point to it... I mean, who actually writes a letter like that and signs him/herself "anonymous"? It seems more plausible that the person writing just didn't care to add his/her name.
Notice also that I changed it so that the letter says he/she should be off the floating hell hole... so it could still be someone we've met in Cave Story *coughgunsmithhermitcough*
Ok, that makes sense as well. By the way, what's a coughgunsmithhermitcough? (hehe)

Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "
"his is a good place to
hide things!" Perhaps an acceptable addition.
"
Perhaps? :pignon:
The reason I sy perhaps is that it seems a little contrived of her to say that. Meh, it's alright.

Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "I like the changes you made to the dialog with the unconscious Quote. I might embelish a smidge on your embelishment in my continuation though, ;)"
Haha, cool, I look forward to it!

Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "The Dialog with the father before he dies is improved slightly as well. The extra range of face pictures really surprised me. Pretty nice to have a variety since now the whole game revolves around her. Mind if I use them in my continuation?"
Glad you liked those! And sure, go right ahead ^_^
Thank you!

Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "However, I do think that you over use the smiling and mouth closed face picture. Really, it's hard to get her not to use the smiling and mouth open picture when she's having a normal conversation. I think it should mainly be used when she has an extra element of calmness in the situation, but is still happy."
The "wide open mouth smile" is the face that immediately comes to mind when I think Curly Brace, so that's why it's fairly prominent here. I like to imagine her as a generally hyper and cheery gal.
Precisely. And I'm saying that I think you used the mouth closed eyes open picture for her under circumstances that you should have used the smiling mouth open one.

Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "your "Surprised D:" face picture is pretty good, but I just feel like it's missing something. I don't know what, but just something that makes it look less believable. Maybe it's in the eyes, even though they're already improved. Anyway, nice job with those. But I feel, at times, that you over use it as well, in which cases the regular mouth open would fit better in my opinion."
The regular mouth open I consider to be her pensive look, not really showing startled surprise.
Well, I feel that she should only use the surprised look when it's in a more extreme situation than most of the places where she uses it. I think that the times where you used it when talking to the enraged father was okay, but it was a bit over the top when you're talking to Jenka and Arthur.

Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "The same thing applies to your sad face with eyes open in which cases I thought the eyes closed picture was more fitting."
I wanted to have two gradations of sadness... plus, there are situations (like when she realizes she has no choice but fight the enraged father) where closing her eyes would be kind of crazy (it'd leave her open to a sudden attack).
I think that the different levels of sadness is okay, but I just think that the face picture needs a little bit more work. As for talking with the enraged father, you've got me there.

Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "Moving on. I see you don't have the door anymore for the epilogue room, but you can still press the down arrow key where it used to be, and get to that room."
Yup, it's now an easter egg.
Hmm... while that would make more canonnical sense, it doesn't make much gameplay sense.

Duke Serkol said:
HaydenStudios Wrote: "And I couldn't help but notice that you changed that room's design. Oh, but there's some problem with the door the exit of Curly's house not opening. Both in cutscenes, and when you exit the room through that door."
You mean you are able to get out but the door sprite doesn't disappear?
Mh... is that something I caused? Or was that glitch already present and I missed it?
Did it happen in just one year or several? (as you know, Curly's home is actually a separate room for each year)
I'm not sure if it was already there, it might have been. Anyway, the glitch occurs in year two when Jenka asks you to check on the mimigas in the village, and when you use it. I'm not sure if this still happens in the other years since I've only gotten to grass hills in your release.

HaydenStudios: "Also, I see you fixed the jerky camera glitch by adding the <FOM0016 command. That was a rather n00bish mistake that Kaeso never fixed, despite everyone notifying him/her on the original development thread. But I think you might have missed it at certain points earlier on."
Duke Serkol: If you don't mind making a list, I won't mind fixing that ;)

I'm pretty sure that it was in most times throughout year one.

HaydenStudios: "In the tunnel to the Mimiga village, the life capsule in the bottom right corner of the area with the first three basils is gone! D: I know you placed it elsewhere instead of deleted it, but it now makes those first three basils have less of a point. I woudn't be too bad to have a life capsue both in your new location on that map, AND where it was previously, since this mod is a harder one."
Duke Serkol: That was one of the first changes I made. The old placement was EVIL.
I realize that this leaves the harder passage where it originally was pointless... but I'm okay with that. If some players want to make their lives more difficult by going down there, they're free to do so, otherwise they can just ignore it.

Ok.

HaydenStudios: "The sprite for Atrhur is quite improved, but I beg to differ with the face picture."
Duke Serkol:Well, I like it :p
In fact, it's the sprite I'm still not completely happy with (he seems a tad too grouchy).
At any rate, I don't really take credit for the face pics, I just mixed up some that were posted early on in the original mod's thread (the eyes of one, the mouth of another...).

Yes, there is still room for improvment for his sprite, but nearly as much as before.

There was also something else that you changed and I liked... Can't remember what it was.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Veteran Member
By the way, what's a coughgunsmithhermitcough? (hehe)
A very troublesome sickness that plagues lonely weapon craftsmen.

The reason I sy perhaps is that it seems a little contrived of her to say that. Meh, it's alright.
Haha, okay ^_^

Precisely. And I'm saying that I think you used the mouth closed eyes open picture for her under circumstances that you should have used the smiling mouth open one.
Aaaah... I thought your complaint was the exact opposite.
Well, I tried not to overdo it. I like Curly being hyper and cheery, but didn't want her to come across as frozen in that expression. Imagine if somebody spoke to you with that kind of smile all the time. At first it might be endearing, but in the long run it'd get annoying as they keep it plastered on all the time... and eventually downright creepy.

I feel that she should only use the surprised look when it's in a more extreme situation than most of the places where she uses it. I think that the times where you used it when talking to the enraged father was okay, but it was a bit over the top when you're talking to Jenka and Arthur.
I wanted to get across that Curly was severely shaken after killing the Mimiga. And with Arthur she's shouting to get him to listen before she's attacked, again (there, I wanted to convey urgency).

Hmm... while that would make more canonnical sense, it doesn't make much gameplay sense.
I also considered removing the Epilogue Room altogether. In the end I left it there because I kind of like it.

I'm not sure if it was already there, it might have been. Anyway, the glitch occurs in year two when Jenka asks you to check on the mimigas in the village, and when you use it. I'm not sure if this still happens in the other years
I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up :)

There was also something else that you changed and I liked... Can't remember what it was.
The title logo? Jenka giving "mommy Curly" pointers on childcare? The fact that the Gaudi is now concerned about having been found "here" and not specifically squatting (so that it might be he's worried that someone may "object" to his solitary escape from the labyrinth)? The sanctuary's new look?

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Based Member
A very troublesome sickness that plagues lonely weapon craftsmen.
LOL! :p

Aaaah... I thought your complaint was the exact opposite.
Well, I tried not to overdo it. I like Curly being hyper and cheery, but didn't want her to come across as frozen in that expression. Imagine if somebody spoke to you with that kind of smile all the time. At first it might be endearing, but in the long run it'd get annoying as they keep it plastered on all the time... and eventually downright creepy.
I think that she gets angry enough times for her not to look frozen in that single image. Even then, Jack, King, Kazuma, Momorin, The Doctor, and Jenka only have one face picture. They have different moods they're in at different points, yet they're bound to that one picture, and does that bother you? (I didn't include Ballos on that list because he hardly has any dialog) Also, I've played all the way through Curly mode, and she had the smiling mouth open picture used a lot, and I didn't get tired of it.

I wanted to get across that Curly was severely shaken after killing the Mimiga. And with Arthur she's shouting to get him to listen before she's attacked, again (there, I wanted to convey urgency).
Hmmm... I guess it's okay for Jenka, but for Arthur, I think that if she's expressing that attitude, then you might want to consider making another face picture for that type of expression, since her surprised face seems a bit awkward in that situation.

I also considered removing the Epilogue Room altogether. In the end I left it there because I kind of like it.
Yeah, I like it too. In my continuation, it will be there as well. But it's going to get destroyed before Quote shows up.

The title logo? Jenka giving "mommy Curly" pointers on childcare? The fact that the Gaudi is now concerned about having been found "here" and not specifically squatting (so that it might be he's worried that someone may "object" to his solitary escape from the labyrinth)? The sanctuary's new look?
I like those too, but it was something else... Oh wait a second, yes! It was the new sanctuary. It is a lot more fitting. So, yeah. Good job with that. It fits a lot better with the robot base that I haven't gotten to yet in your release.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Deadline?
Oh, and don't forget to post news about the mod in the first post. Helps alot.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Based Member
Deadline?
Oh, and don't forget to post news about the mod in the first post. Helps alot.
To whom are you typing? If you were adressing me, then don't expect to first version of the continuation any time soon. After I finish polishing my fourth ending mod, I'm going to finish another project of mine in real life which I've been ignoring the past three months, and started on in summer 2011. Then after that, I'm going to learn Cave Story assembly before I start really working on my continuation. So don't expect it any time within the next two months. If you were talking to Duke Serkol, then sorry!

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Veteran Member
Jack, King, Kazuma, Momorin, The Doctor, and Jenka only have one face picture. They have different moods they're in at different points, yet they're bound to that one picture, and does that bother you?
No, but you don't go an entire game with their company. Curly probably gets more dialogue in this than any single character did in Cave Story.

for Arthur, I think that if she's expressing that attitude, then you might want to consider making another face picture for that type of expression, since her surprised face seems a bit awkward in that situation.
It works for me... it's a frantic situation and that's a frantic look.

Yeah, I like it too. In my continuation, it will be there as well. But it's going to get destroyed before Quote shows up.
Ah, but how are you going to explain its existence if not as a secret easter egg?

the new sanctuary. It is a lot more fitting. So, yeah. Good job with that. It fits a lot better with the robot base that I haven't gotten to yet in your release.
Yes, that is the reason I changed it. Maybe I should have just made two separate rooms, but I didn't feel like messing around with those flags, so...

Deadline?
If you ARE talking to me, all that's left for this mod are some bugfixes and perhaps an additional cutscene... I wouldn't really know when to expect those, but (assuming I'm able to make the cutscene work without too much trouble) it shouldn't take too long.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Let's just go with the fact that I'm talking to everyone.
I'm happy in any case.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Based Member
No, but you don't go an entire game with their company. Curly probably gets more dialogue in this than any single character did in Cave Story.
Yes, but that is also the case in Curly mod in Cave Story+ which I have played through. And I didn't feel that she was frozen into that image to often because she gets angry at times, expressing a full range of emotions. The same applies to this mod.

It works for me... it's a frantic situation and that's a frantic look.
Hm. I guess that that face picture just needs a little bit more work to make it completely believable. If the necessary improvments are made, then it might work.

Ah, but how are you going to explain its existence if not as a secret easter egg?
Some things' existence aren't explained. Curly is going to inherit the residence in my continuation as well, and I wouldn't expect it's architechture to be explained. If someone inherited Santa's house, they would never understand why there are spikes at the bottom left corner of the house. Or if someone inherited Arthur's house, they wouldn't understand why there are red flowers in the basement. There's also no explanation why there's a door up above in the Mimiga Graveyard. Therfore, I don't think that there is necessarily a need to explain the logic behind the epilogue room.

Yes, that is the reason I changed it. Maybe I should have just made two separate rooms, but I didn't feel like messing around with those flags, so...
Yes. And I don't blame you.

If you ARE talking to me, all that's left for this mod are some bugfixes and perhaps an additional cutscene... I wouldn't really know when to expect those, but (assuming I'm able to make the cutscene work without too much trouble) it shouldn't take too long.
Where in the mod are you thinking of adding this cutscene?

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Veteran Member
Yes, but that is also the case in Curly mod in Cave Story+ which I have played through.
Does she speak much in that? I haven't played the whole thing yet (I got up to the end of the egg corridor), but I was under the impression that she was mostly silent.

Some things' existence aren't explained. Curly is going to inherit the residence in my continuation as well, and I wouldn't expect it's architechture to be explained. If someone inherited Santa's house, they would never understand why there are spikes at the bottom left corner of the house.
If it was the room by itself, I'd agree. It could have been part of the island from long before the rest of the house was built. But how about the fact that computer terminals magically appear in it solely to replay Curly's new year resolutions?

Where in the mod are you thinking of adding this cutscene?
Near the end. You won't have to replay the game to see it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Based Member
Does she speak much in that? I haven't played the whole thing yet (I got up to the end of the egg corridor), but I was under the impression that she was mostly silent.
There are some times where she has no lines in that mode yet it is implied that she speaks. Despite this, she uses the smiling mouth open picture frequently, and it didn't start to get old for me.

If it was the room by itself, I'd agree. It could have been part of the island from long before the rest of the house was built. But how about the fact that computer terminals magically appear in it solely to replay Curly's new year resolutions?
Ah. Maybe all of the terminals could pre exist, then each one would become active with every successive year. What do you think of that?

Near the end. You won't have to replay the game to see it.
Ok. By the way, I still haven't gotten through grass hills yet, cause I've been a bit pinned down with school. I'll try to find time at a certain point.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Veteran Member
Ah. Maybe they could all pre exist, just most of them starting out with blank screens. Then each one would become active with every successive year.
Mh, so she finds them there, blank, and decides to write her new year resolutions on them? Sounds good enough for me :)

Ok. By the way, I still haven't gotten through grass hills yet, cause I've been a bit pinned down with school. I'll try to find time at a certain point.
No problem. By the way, in the next boss fights, can you try to check stuff (doors, interactive furniture) before, during and after the fight?
There should be no problems, but I didn't get around to testing my fixes there.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Based Member
Mh, so she finds them there, blank, and decides to write her new year resolutions on them? Sounds good enough for me :)
Good, glad you approve.

No problem. By the way, in the next boss fights, can you try to check stuff (doors, interactive furniture) before, during and after the fight?
There should be no problems, but I didn't get around to testing my fixes there.
Sure, I'll be sure to check that when I get there.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM
You guys need testers?

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Veteran Member
By all means, if you find any bugs please let me know :)

Oh and you guys may want to make a copy of your profile.dat at the start of year 3... :debug:

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Based Member
Hehe, you can never have too many testers!

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Veteran Member
Remember: backup copy of profile.dat at the start of year 3.

There will be changes (...probably).

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Ok, some things I should probably note.
I've made it to the ancient cave, and noticed that the text for items isn't bald like it's in the regular CS.
Also, after I open a door, I see the background texture. There should be black there instead.

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Based Member
An easy fix for this would be to simply change the background of the ancient cave to blackness. It would make it seem more "Cavy" and it would fix it.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Yeah ok, I just didn't feel like playing after I got past "Fortress" and then found out I have to go back and through the "Fortress" again. And then I died.
Yeah I could handle the 30+ Basils at once but this? No.