Crimson Echoes

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Crimson Echoes
by the Chrono Trigger english fan community...

(old video)
http://crimsonechoes.com/
http://www.chronocompendium.com/
Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes was a fan project modification of the Chrono Trigger ROM begun in late 2004. Development continued thanks to a dedicated group of fans through 2009. By May 2009, the game featured ~35 hours of game play, 10 multiple endings, and 23 chapters, much like the original Chrono Trigger; it was around 98% complete. The plot featured the original cast as they struggled against a new villain risen from the legacy of Zeal.
But... SADLY just as it was about to be released for free as an IPS patch (you patch the original Chrono Trigger rom which you must already have), Squaresoft Enix had a little surprise for them...

They sent the team a Cease and Desist legal action letter! Surely was nice of them to wait till the community project achieved fruitation... 04' -> 09' and then the month of release drop the bomb on them :p

Sadly, it seems like the final game will never be released as the team fearing any legal action has supposebly destroyed all copies and related rom hacking / informational stuff they had on Chrono Trigger related material...

Although fortunately it seems they had videoed a walkthrough before this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSTpkMB9kNk

Too bad about all of this... they weren't doing anything illegal as they weren't providing any illegal materials, or as the legal department mistakingly accused them of circumventing rom protection ... [does not exist in Chrono Trigger SNES, but in Chrono Trigger DS [which was unrelated to this hack]]
But they had the copyright to take legal action if the said rom was released...

Too bad... ugh; was looking forward to an actual new Chrono Trigger game :D

They did however release a mini-chrono fan mod a while back. [Square didn't complain about this one... so they thought they were okay to go ahead with CE]
Chrono Trigger : Prophet's Guile

You can probably find this one since it was released a while back somewhere...

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Jun 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Noobish developers are fail.
Go SE sue them to death :p

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Basically nothing in the C&D letter really applies to the situation.

1. There is very little in the way of copyright infringement since the original rom contains copyrighted material, not the patch. The only issue is the name of the hack, which can be easily fixed.

2. Temporal Flux does not circumvent copy protection.

3. The SNES version has no specific copy protections. It is most likely that SE assumed that the DS version was being hacked.

As far as the C&D goes, it just oozes of ignorance, and has little to no legal ground to stand on. The problem is that no-one wants to fight a major company over a rom hack, no matter how wrong that company is.

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmm....

andwhyisit said:
As far as the C&D goes, it just oozes of ignorance, and has little to no legal ground to stand on. The problem is that no-one wants to fight a major company over a rom hack, no matter how wrong that company is.
Do....do you think we'd have to fight Pixel, because of our mods....?

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Schokobecher said:
Noobish developers are fail.
Go SE sue them to death :D
Noobish developers?

It was a crazy beta tester who used the patch on the rom and then started to publish the whole patched rom in torrents. It was even an alpha version not the 98% completed version.

That guy/girl made a big mess and destroyed everything. Shame on him/her.
andwhyisit said:
s far as the C&D goes, it just oozes of ignorance, and has little to no legal ground to stand on. The problem is that no-one wants to fight a major company over a rom hack, no matter how wrong that company is.
Seconded.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Yeah I was keeping up with this... kinda. I don't visit the Compendium as much as I used to, then this came up. I needs to watch the pseudo-LP...
ZeaLitY is pretty dead serious about the fact that he could get sued over it. I really don't know WHY Square got so uppety over this, people have been making Final Fantasy __ hacks for years (probably even when ports and the like were being released) and that's the IP they're most concerned with. Especially when the new content in CT DS plays like a fan mod anyway (ZING~). It was such an asshole letter too, so many DEMAYUNDS. Oh well :D

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I don't talk about "programming skills".

I talk about staying hidden in the shadows.

Same thing with the guys who developed eAthena (RO server) (they live in Germany)
They got sued. And why? Their names / adresses / billing stuff was all over the place.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
It rhymes!

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Spam!
It comes in a can!
And it gets you a ban!

iReport.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Do....do you think we'd have to fight Pixel, because of our mods....?

Doubtful, Lowell.
Very. Doubtful.

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:45 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
JacaByte said:
Spam!
It comes in a can!
And it gets you a ban!

iReport.

The little Jacobite shows his face!