Community Project

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:10 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
This was talked about on another thread: If we -the community- would make a mod, project of ours. Anyone here who has interest about it, could tell his ideas here, pertaining on a mod.

I started this, but it doesn't mean I want to be the main programmer or hacker or anykind of that. I really lack those abilities. I could be one of mapmakers.
My idea of the mod is this: No story (of course, there can be), a massive world with lots of quests and exploring.

If anyone has good, maybe a better, idea tell it here! I'll make a list of everyone who wants to join.
Everyone here is welcome.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:38 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Some ideas!

I LOVE THIS THREAD! S.P please don't close it because there is another one. That one is dead... Since Agust :p. Lets start anew!

Ok here are some my ideas:

For new equipment:
Barrier --> in the form of a control like thingy.
Function: Small bubble. Defends small attacks from monsters, not bosses. Absorbs weapon energy from monster attacks (damage = weapon energy gained). Weakens after every hit.

Guards --> like the whimsical star.
Function: 3 Small little orbs surrounding you that shoot along with you. Shoots in any direction you face. Damage ranges with your weapon level. Breaks breakable blocks.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For new weapons:
Homing missiles --> like super missile. Purple would be a nicer colour though :D Breaks breakable blocks.
Level 1: 1 Small missile. Aims for nearest 1 target at slow speed for a few seconds before losing track.
Level 2: 2 Fat missiles. Aim for nearest 1 target at high speeds for a short period before losing track.
Level 3: 3 Metal orbs. Aim for nearest 3 targets, each homing for one at high speeds. Does not lose track.

Dive bomber --> Like a winged orb.
Level 1: A small brown winged orb. Flies upwards into the air and falls after 2 seconds. Flies forwards only.
Level 2: A small silver winged orb. Flies upwards into the air and falls on the nearest enemy. Flies forwards only.
Level 3: A small golden winged orb. Flies upwards into the air and aims for the nearest enemy for a direct hit at a high speed. Flies in any direction.

Are they good ideas? Not very sure if they are actually feasible though :D

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:51 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The thing is if don't get enough people who are interrested in this then we can't finish this. Also we can't finish it if we only have 2 people who are spriting and hacking the exe and the rest 48 people are just giving them their ideas :x

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:54 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Really good ideas, indeed! I like Homing Missiles and Barrier. :p Does anyone have more?! Someone interested who has skills in programming and other complicated things, should join, just if he wants.
And yeah, we need peoples, who are doing something for mod, not just giving ideas.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:21 PM
Hoxtilicious
Programming won't help here, I don't get why you people all think that hacking is programming :x

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Programming won't help here, I don't get why you people all think that hacking is programming :x

True. I'm a C++ coder, and I have no idea how to hack assembly.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:56 PM
Hoxtilicious
*cough* You mean how to hack the exe not to hack assembly, if you hack assembly then your computer will screw up and crash :x

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:22 PM
"Huzzah!"
This is not a bad idea in general, but before we can even begin to think about what the project will consist of, we'd need a strong individual as team leader... who wouldn't be afraid to give the axe to anyone who isn't pulling their part. Trust me, I've been the weak link a few times myself, and lazy people like me are a bit of an irritation. ;P

Hmm... I do like the idea of the "no story, individual worlds" thing. Perhaps there could be one main "hub world" which connnects to surrounding worlds, which are sort of like games in themselves. Why the devil not? ;P

Of course, why stop there? Change everything! Graphics, music, etc... maps are only one part of the story, eh?

Then again, we'd need to actually *start* something first, rather than bombard with ideas. ;P

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:51 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
*cough* You mean how to hack the exe not to hack assembly, if you hack assembly then your computer will screw up and crash :x

Haha, yeah.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Why not, say, make a new game instead of extensively editing an existing one, which would probably be more painful to do anyway.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:04 AM
Luls
Sharkenaa said:
Really good ideas, indeed! I like Homing Missiles and Barrier. :p

Hehe thank you very much! Its just that I'm rubbish at editing and stuffs... apart from using Sue's Workshop to edit the TSC Notations... And making maps :D . So i thought I could be more helpful by providing people with ideas instead :D.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nator said:
Why not, say, make a new game instead of extensively editing an existing one, which would probably be more painful to do anyway.
That sounds like a good idea, but seriously we need a story.

Or we can do the Cave Story 2 that marty did those awesome sprites for, he could be the artist, Atravir could write the story if he has the free time for it and Sharkenaa offered to be a mapmaker, we will still need someone to make music and sounds as well as a programmer. I seriously loved the look of those sprites and never really got over the fact that the project was dropped, so why not pick it up and continue it ourselves.

Metalogz said:
Hehe thank you very much! Its just that I'm rubbish at editing and stuffs... apart from using Sue's Workshop to edit the TSC Notations... And making maps :p . So i thought I could be more helpful by providing people with ideas instead :D.
I can edit game saves which was only useful for the now-dead boss challenge thread.

I feel like the most willing-to-contribute person while having hardly anything to contribute, I could take a shot at creating tilesets but I haven't tried tilesets yet and I could make a fancy logo for the intro screen which is only a small part of the game. :D

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:25 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I can offer some character spriting help. Also, if possible, can you make the Load screen, like, you can save your data in different files? So that more than one person can play the same game on the same computer without having to duplicate the folder, thus saving space.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:01 PM
Luls
The thing is, I don't know how to change the start map and the start postition of your character on the start map. I wanna make the main character in Cave Story (Quote) start in the Blood Holy Land. Help! :D (i know this is going abit off topic but just a pm would do :p)

Thanks!

If you teach me how then maybe i could help with the map making and stuffs :D

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:49 PM
Justin-chan
I think to do that you can go into the Event mode in Sue's Workshop and right-click, then change the character starting position.

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:43 PM
Luls
Ok... I'll try... But tghe thing is... Where's the Event mode? Scripting page? o.o Wow I'm really noob at this.

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:48 PM
Justin-chan
No. In Sue's Workshop, you open up the file you want to use as your starting point. Then you go into the EventEdit mode, which is the Treasure Chest icon. You add an NPC, then you right click it, and click, "Set Player Start Position".

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:56 PM
Hoxtilicious
I personally dislike the Cave Story 2 idea, since I made already a mod named like that and I won't help at this project anymore if it would be Cave Story 2, since I already have a project named like this :x

Nator said:

Because its going to be a mod not a game :D

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:04 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Because its going to be a mod not a game :D
But it shouldn't have to be a mod as long as it is cave story related.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:05 PM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:
But it shouldn't have to be a mod as long as it is cave story related.

That's right but the idea of this community project is a mod :x