Chat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I notice that most threads have become very cluttered and full of rather pointless posts, so I'm taking the initiative of creating this chat thread as an experiment.
So, instead of discussing things off-topic in other threads try to use this one instead.
It's in the CS forum because I assume most people don't visit the Satellite Lounge (where this kind of thread should be, ideally) particularly often.
  • Spam here, and keep it here.
  • Stick to the rules of the forums

SPG, it's up to you to decide whether to keep this thread or not. If it turns out as long and disorderly as these kinds of threads tend to I can't expect you to moderate it.

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I don't see this thread going too far in terms of your objectives, seeing as most off-topic discussions spring out from something vaguely on-topic (If you look carefully, the Chaco thread was always ontopic :confused:). There is also the fact that the threads are literally dead these days if not for the off-topicness due to many members having exams and other commitments.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:31 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Even though this is a chat thread I have a question about a different section of Mirai Gamer Forums, though this is probably not the place to ask this (Nor should I possibly even ask the question in the 1st place...)- Why hasn't there been a new post on the Zen Gaming Forums for about 3-4 years? Did it move or something?

Actually, the reason I ask is because most of the Legend of Legaia links don't appear to lead to their intended destinations anymore (I think those sites vanished like worldoffate.com did)... I've found some other Legaia sites that I'd like to add there, if no one minds...

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:25 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Bad Beholder said:
Even though this is a chat thread I have a question about a different section of Mirai Gamer Forums, though this is probably not the place to ask this (Nor should I possibly even ask the question in the 1st place...)- Why hasn't there been a new post on the Zen Gaming Forums for about 3-4 years? Did it move or something?

Actually, the reason I ask is because most of the Legend of Legaia links don't appear to lead to their intended destinations anymore (I think those sites vanished like worldoffate.com did)... I've found some other Legaia sites that I'd like to add there, if no one minds...
The GameFlaws and Zen Gaming forums are all dead, but all the rest apart from "Screenshots", "XyZ Tribute Site", and "Forum Announcements and Rules" are all pretty much active.

Active Forums:
Satellite Lounge
Gamer's Lounge
Cave Story Tribute Site
Rom Editing/Hacking
Mods
Project Information and Discussion

Though you could get away with reviving some of the inactive ones if you want. :cool:

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
I notice that most threads have become very cluttered and full of rather pointless posts, so I'm taking the initiative of creating this chat thread as an experiment.
So, instead of discussing things off-topic in other threads try to use this one instead.
It's in the CS forum because I assume most people don't visit the Satellite Lounge (where this kind of thread should be, ideally) particularly often.
  • Spam here, and keep it here.
  • Stick to the rules of the forums

SPG, it's up to you to decide whether to keep this thread or not. If it turns out as long and disorderly as these kinds of threads tend to I can't expect you to moderate it.
An offtopic discussion is usually started off with an on-topic discussion. You cannot say "Right lets start off an offtopic discussion here for the hell of it" because that never works. As Roonil said, any offtopicness that will happen in this thread will be based on the topic of conversation. You also cannot go "right, lets move to this thread and hope that they know what the hell we are talking about", it will not work. I'm sorry but this is doomed to fail.

As for the rules, read this:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/10663/

Also the Satellite Lounge has been rather popular of late.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:03 PM
andwhyisit said:
An offtopic discussion is usually started off with an on-topic discussion. You cannot say "Right lets start off an offtopic discussion here for the hell of it" because that never works. As Roonil said, any offtopicness that will happen in this thread will be based on the topic of conversation. You also cannot go "right, lets move to this thread and hope that they know what the hell we are talking about", it will not work. I'm sorry but this is doomed to fail.

As for the rules, read this:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/10663/

Also the Satellite Lounge has been rather popular of late.
Are you telling me you completely lack the ability to even notice when you're starting to pull away from the topic at hand?
Because that, and an ounce of discipline, is all it takes for cess pit threads like this one to work. It's mere existance should be a deterent to anyone who feel the need to talk about something that has no place anywhere else.

Around here it wouldn't be a problem to jump between threads, since it's the same people going OT all the time. So no confusion.

Either way, I'm personally not very attached to the main CS forum. I just dislike when threads, that I might want to refer to in the future, get cluttered. Mainly those in the modding forum.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:45 PM
Respwnt
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Are you telling me you completely lack the ability to even notice when you're starting to pull away from the topic at hand?
Because that, and an ounce of discipline, is all it takes for cess pit threads like this one to work. It's mere existance should be a deterent to anyone who feel the need to talk about something that has no place anywhere else.

Around here it wouldn't be a problem to jump between threads, since it's the same people going OT all the time. So no confusion.

Either way, I'm personally not very attached to the main CS forum. I just dislike when threads, that I might want to refer to in the future, get cluttered. Mainly those in the modding forum.
Eh, SP dosen't seem to mind, so I don't see why you should. If we had even 30 active members, your point wolda been valid, but in such a small community where we have only a single mod, we shouldn't mind much main;y because we won't find spam going much out of hand at the rate of 1 post every other hour.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Hoxtilicious
Roonil Wazlib said:
Eh, SP dosen't seem to mind, so I don't see why you should.

I do mind, because more and more people are complaining...
And the spam gets out of hand. You people should lower the spam rate from 50 - 75 percent to 5 - 15 percent.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:24 PM
Respwnt
S. P. Gardebiter said:
I do mind, because more and more people are complaining...
And the spam gets out of hand. You people should lower the spam rate from 50 - 75 percent to 5 - 15 percent.
50-75 is a huge exaggeration, we do post ontopic most of the time, unless you take a very strict definition of offtopic. Offtopicness is normally based on videogaming, which is what the forums are about. Again, we have about one post an hour whether ontopic or not which would be equivalent to 1/10th of some other forums I have frequented, so there isn't much scope to reduce spam because we risk letting the forum die. Most recent spam was related to the Chaco and [edit] part, a subject vaguely related to CS :p.

Having said that, I'll do my best to try and troll around less.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:25 PM
Justin-chan
I'll try my best to be Superman.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:28 PM
Justin-chan
I knew you wanted to become Superman as well! WE CAN BE SUPERBUDDIES.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:59 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
jcys810 said:
I knew you wanted to become Superman as well! WE CAN BE SUPERBUDDIES.

You'll be better as SuperWoman. YOU CAN BE SUPERLOVERS.

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Justin-chan
Stfu Superhooker

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:06 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
jcys810 said:
Stfu Superhooker

*hooks your pants and rips a hole where there should be a hole"

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:52 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Roonil Wazlib said:
OMFG Impulse, you're on 777 posts!!

ITS ALL LIES

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:11 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
And then DB pointed out that the infection is already spread too far, and that no one topic can stop Randomosis.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:15 PM
Necroed!

People, check out Konjak.org . It's the site of a solo indie game dev (like Pixel!) who, among other things, has made the game Chalk, which is Good.
Try it, and the Noitu Love 2 demo while you're at it.

While I'm on the subject; Have you seen fez?
It was linked to from Pixels guest book a while ago.

Edit: Why is my name grey? Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.