Cave Story+

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:23 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
godsyn said:
Does anyone have a CS+ profile.dat (save) of before core, 41 health, no booster (oops) and solar pistol (no machine gun) ?

*ahem*

andwhyisit said:
Not sure if this would help anyone but I wrote a program that compiles vanilla CS Profile.dats into a single CS+ Profile.dat. Run it in the same folder as any Profile.dat files that are renamed to either Profile1.dat, Profile2.dat or Profile3.dat. I figured it might help in cases where you would want to test specific parts of the game to confirm specific bugs. *shrug*

http://www.mediafire.com/?eim09ag07rl52oi

Download a save from tribute site, use the converter, then back up your current CS+ Profile.dat and replace it with the new one. Easy.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:56 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
andwhyisit said:
7. Run the game again and you should have sharp graphics that fill your screen.

Well, they'll only really be perfectly sharp if you're playing on a CRT. Assuming you're playing on a fixed resolution display (LCD etc.) all you're doing is bypassing the game's scaling and using your monitor/graphics card's scaling. While they might be better than the game's own scaling depending on your setup, it's still not 'sharp' in the literal sense.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Amazing.. I will definitely be playing this game 24/7 once I get ten whole dollars rounded up.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dec 23, 2011 at 3:27 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Bought it yesterday for 6,69 from steam but I learned about the bundle the above poster suggests afterwards.

Long story short: I played the whole day and finished it. Of course not with the good ending, of course on normal and of course with so many things left undone.

I am being honest when I say that it's 5:24 a.m. now and instead of coding (which I always do) I found a game that I enjoy so much after many years.

Back on topic - I'll have a new magSafe power adapter within the next few days to play the game in my MacBook Pro and come back with performance impressions (I don't think there will be worse than my old coot PC).

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:41 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Is it wrong that I got the bundle early while the average was about $3.60, and paid all but a dollar of that to charity, letting humblebundle keep the change and saying none for the developers?

I feel kind of bad but only for the other games, including the #3 bundle they tacked on afterwards, most of which I already bought separately anyway. I mean, I don't want Meat Boy to feel unloved, but Cave Story+ and Night Sky already got this super-generous donation from some group named @nicalis... which everyone else promptly punted off the top 10 contributors list anyway. (They did the same thing on indie-royale, oddly enough~)

I'm the one who let Xkeeper in on how to extract Cave Story Wii's files, pointed out the exact forum post of Seriousface's mod, and wrote most of their wiki page, btw. :3 Oh the drama.

Dec 23, 2011 at 6:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Echidna-san said:
Is it wrong that I got the bundle early while the average was about $3.60, and paid all but a dollar of that to charity, letting humblebundle keep the change and saying none for the developers?

I feel kind of bad but only for the other games, including the #3 bundle they tacked on afterwards, most of which I already bought separately anyway. I mean, I don't want Meat Boy to feel unloved, but Cave Story+ and Night Sky already got this super-generous donation from some group named @nicalis... which everyone else promptly punted off the top 10 contributors list anyway. (They did the same thing on indie-royale, oddly enough~)

I'm the one who let Xkeeper in on how to extract Cave Story Wii's files, pointed out the exact forum post of Seriousface's mod, and wrote most of their wiki page, btw. :3 Oh the drama.

Are you also the reason he (Xkeeper) still claims that the mods in CS+ are stolen? Even though it's more or less been disproven?

I can't blame you for telling Xkeeper how to extract files or for pointing him to the evidence before SeriousFace confirmed he submitted his mod. Also which wiki page are you refering to?

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:18 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I gave him what I'd been sitting on for Cave Story Wii from the very earliest release and let him draw his own conclusions, for the most part. He really did take it a bit more deeply than I'd expected myself, but meh. I guess I've had enough bad experiences between this and other communities that I don't actually want to press anything myself, even if it seems bad.

Oddly enough, despite owning CS+ now myself, I've yet to even download it. So no, anything relating to the PC version of it I have no part in; that stuff was easy enough for him to do on his own.

The Cutting Room Floor is the wiki I mentioned, because Xkeeper insisted that I help out there since I was knowledgeable about the inner workings of the game and all.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Okay, so I have €7,51 on my steam account. And Cave Story is €6,69.
I'm not sure if I should buy this game. If it wasn't for Nicalis getting part of the money, I would buy it for sure. Pixel deserves it.

Another reason why I shouldn't buy it is simply: I can download it illegal.

Point is: Should I buy it or not? Is it worth it?

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:58 PM
Been here way too long...
Buy it. I don't understand the Nicalis hate, and if you don't buy it, pixel gets no money at all.
I really enjoyed it, and if you get the bundle, you get all the other games as well (which are also nice and fun).

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:06 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
What bundle? The indie bundle? Nah..

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I got it... AND LOVE IT!
For anybody who has it, could you please tell me how to get to the wind fortress

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:23 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This is very spoilerous, but you asked.

To get to Wind Fortress, you must proceed through Hell. Hell is unlocked by doing a multitude of things.

1.) Spur
Do not trade Curly to get the Machinegun, or Chaba to get the Snake. Instead, go back up to First Cave with the Booster 2.0 and talk to the Hermit Gunsmith. He will give you the Spur.
2.) Booster 2.0
Do not save Prof. Booster when you see him fall in the Labrynth. Later, after navigating through the Main Artery, you will meet him in Arthur's House where he will give you Booster 2.0
3.) Tow Rope
When you enter the Core Chamber (before talking to Curly) go all the way to the right. There you will find the Tow Rope. While in the Main Artery, about half way through, you will come across a house called the Waterway Cabin. Put Curly in the bed, check the bookcase, drain Curly out, and then check Curly again (or as many times as it takes for her to come with you). Do not worry when she separates with you after the battle with Ironhead.
4.) Iron Band
In the Plantation, go to the lowest level and talk to Cthulhu. It will tell you that it found Curly, and it has heard of a mushroom that is said to restore memories (Curly now has amnesia). Use the Teleporter Room after being imprisoned, and you will be back in Arthur's House. Go to the Graveyard and enter the door in the upper-right quadrant. Fight Ma Pignon after answering a series of tricky questions and receiving the Mushroom Badge. Go back to the Plantation, and restore Curly's memory. She will give you the Iron Band, and will say that for now you two may be separated, but one day you will be together again.

That is pretty much it, but be warned that after the Plantation you must traverse an altered Final Cave, which is much more difficult the first few times through.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:13 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Three: Isn't it called the Iron Bond, not Band?

Spur is best for hell if it's your first time, but otherwise I would take the snake for speedrunning.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Does it have a boss run? Really, it should have a boss run :p
A boss run whould be a big reason to buy this game, even though I already have.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM
"Huzzah!"
My goal today is to buy this. Earning an extra dollar won't be that hard. Does it have the option to change the music and graphics from new to original?

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Yes. You can also change the music to the CS3D music.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM
"Huzzah!"
Really!? I thought that was only for the humble indie bundle