Cave Story: The Desolate (SAGE 2023 Demo)

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've been developing a Cave Story beta fangame in the Godot game engine for this entire year and have released a demo for SAGE 2023! This fan game seeks to provide an experience as if the Cave Story beta was a finished game.

So far it contains:
  • 4 bosses
  • Dim Caves
  • Central (WIP)
  • Sand Zone (WIP)
This is not a remake, so accuracy is sacrificed for ideation.

You can download it here on SFGHQ (available for Windows, MacOS, Linux): https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/cave-story-the-desolate-sage-2023-demo.1701/

p378806-0-coverimage.png

Screenshot_2023-07-17_171832.png
Screenshot_2023-07-17_171057.png

Screenshot_2023-07-17_170949.png

Screenshot_2023-07-17_170834.png

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:03 PM
"Huzzah!"
i've been following this on The Platform Formally Known As Twitter and i'm excited to play it, but unfortunately the mac port seems to be broken - or doesn't like the version of OSX i'm running (mojave 10.14) - when i launch it, i can still hear and control the game, but the screen is completely black

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:00 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i've been following this on The Platform Formally Known As Twitter and i'm excited to play it, but unfortunately the mac port seems to be broken - or doesn't like the version of OSX i'm running (mojave 10.14) - when i launch it, i can still hear and control the game, but the screen is completely black
That's strange, I initially started developing this game from Windows 11 & on MacOS Catalina (OSX 10.15) and so therefore I would assume the renderer to work. If I can I will test this on my end (perhaps on High Sierra which is older).

Can you try running the game using the OpenGL renderer? And also run the .command the SAGE demo provides (as it may present errors to what is going on). As for OpenGL, particles may not work and there may be stutters when they are supposed to appear but I think it will fix the issue. Here's a link to a download from my GitHub repo with it set as default for MacOS (since I don't know what the CLI method is for MacOS).

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:56 AM
"Huzzah!"
Here's a link to a download from my GitHub repo with it set as default for MacOS (since I don't know what the CLI method is for MacOS).
this version works just fine, thank you!

also run the .command the SAGE demo provides (as it may present errors to what is going on)
not quite sure what you mean by this - the SAGE demo only contains the .app and manual folder, unless i'm misunderstanding something?

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
this version works just fine, thank you!

not quite sure what you mean by this - the SAGE demo only contains the .app and manual folder, unless i'm misunderstanding something?
Oh, my bad, I forgot I omitted that file when submitting it. Basically it just runs it from the Terminal, so you see debug info and stuff like that.

Good that it works for you though :)

Sep 4, 2023 at 3:38 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
wow this is awesome!!!

Sep 5, 2023 at 4:21 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I tried to play the game on macOS Big Sur 11.6.6, but it refuses to even run: it simply says "You do not have permission to open the application", which is strange since i am the system administrator and haven't seen this error anywhere else in my ~2 years of using a Mac. I looked it up, and it seems to have something to do with the app being signed improperly? Either way, I hope you figure out a way to fix this soon...

In the meantime, i've tried running the Windows version in Wine. Although several of the textures are all white, and text just shows up as a bunch of white rectangles, the game is surprisingly playable.

The only thing i can say for certain so far is that I really enjoy how smooth the physics feel. In fact, the only problems i've had with them are:
1) Sometimes, when bonking into a ceiling near the edge of a block, you get pushed to the side a bit, often right into an enemy
2) The horizontal knockback for getting hurt by an enemy seems to be the reverse of what it should be: getting hit on the right side pushes you to the left, and vice versa. Not that the original beta (or final CS) even had horizontal knockback, but if you're going to take that liberty I would probably fix this.

Looking forward to being able to properly play this beta remake!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 8:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I should've included installation instructions (and will now), but there are a few ways you're supposed to run unsigned apps on macOS.
  • You can launch the app and approve it in Security & Privacy.
  • Right click on the .app and open it that way.
  • Disable GateKeeper and then try the following methods.

The reason the game is not signed is because for both Windows & macOS, the process of getting a signature on your application can be quite expensive, so for a little project like this, there's no reason to do it. Godot provides the options to ad-hoc sign or not sign at all, which should just allow you run the game regardless through the following methods mentioned above, but that was my mistake for not including that.

Your experience with my game on Wine can be for any number of reasons; specific fork or OS. I usually use Bottles on Linux and my games run great but I haven't tested this one.

As for your points above:

1) This is due the capsule hitbox, which allows smooth standing / movement on edges.
2) I'll take a look into that but I believe it was opposite of your velocity. I may change this though.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know if you can run it now :)

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:06 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I've been developing a Cave Story beta fangame in the Godot game engine for this entire year and have released a demo for SAGE 2023! This fan game seeks to provide an experience as if the Cave Story beta was a finished game.

So far it contains:
  • 4 bosses
  • Dim Caves
  • Central (WIP)
  • Sand Zone (WIP)
This is not a remake, so accuracy is sacrificed for ideation.

You can download it here on SFGHQ (available for Windows, MacOS, Linux): https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/cave-story-the-desolate-sage-2023-demo.1701/

p378806-0-coverimage.png

Screenshot_2023-07-17_171832.png
Screenshot_2023-07-17_171057.png

Screenshot_2023-07-17_170949.png

Screenshot_2023-07-17_170834.png
In my opinion you did a very good job with the fangame!!! although there were aspects that did not convince me (and bugs to correct)

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:44 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
In my opinion you did a very good job with the fangame!!! although there were aspects that did not convince me (and bugs to correct)
Thank you :) if you don't mind me asking, I'm interested what you mean by "aspects that did not convince me"

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:18 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
hi, is no link to download /(MANUAL.HTML)

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:50 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
thanks, it was hidden in 3 dots corner