Cave Story TAS

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Because apparently you don't need emulation to do this anymore:

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED.
The submission info can be read here, if you want to know how this was possible. Features mention of ex-forum-user upthorn!

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
How the fuck is that possible.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Saw this earlier today.

My mind is completely blown. Agh....

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Chaddykins said:
Saw this earlier today.

My mind is completely blown. Agh....
Sweet, I was hoping you'd see it :D Some of those damage boosts don't actually look too unreasonable, but there was still a ton of stuff I wasn't expecting. So much for knowing the game properly :D

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
DoubleThink said:
Sweet, I was hoping you'd see it :D Some of those damage boosts don't actually look too unreasonable, but there was still a ton of stuff I wasn't expecting. So much for knowing the game properly :D

It was like...

a long series of "I didn't know you could do that" 's and like...I know the game pretty well :o I guess I'm behind the times these days hahah.

I had seen the previous TAS and was like welp I can't do that and this one makes me go WELP I CAN NEVER DREAM OF DOING THAT.

The booster + machine gun combo is so ridiculous to watch..and yea everything else too. Like a proper speedrun is not ever going to come close to looking that ridiculous hahah.

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM
LSD
"..."
48:53-
No. He isn't gonna-
48:54-
Technical Difficulties on my side of the computer screen

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:22 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
From how he plays, it seems that jumping is slightly faster than running?

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:24 AM
LSD
"..."
thecrown said:
From how he plays, it seems that jumping is slightly faster than running?

It seems he is jumping MORE THAN running

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
As it says in the specs, you encounter horizontal friction whilst walking but not while in air, so if you stay airborne then you can preserve being boosted by an enemy or booster or something longer.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:20 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I just started watching this.

I thought it was only mildly cool until he started to ride the beetle to get past the Igor cutscene, and at that point the "holy shit" factor started to reveal the real awesomeness.
EDIT: This guy sure knows how to fly.

EDIT2: He still has 6 life by hell? WTF!?

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
haha awesome and i've been hanging out on tasvideos.org so much lately

chad, did you ever even finish that one you were working on? you were being so pixel-perfect about it, it seemed like it was gonna be amazing
but i guess that's kinda the breaks when doing tas stuff, you'll work your ass off and realize some japanese guy's still gonna do it a million times better than you

with how much i play and replay old games i think of doing speedruns a lot and even do my own 'personal' speedruns, but at most i'd try non-tool-assisted/non-pixel-perfect/pretty-much-not-trying-to-be-faster-than-anyone-just-doing-it-because-it's-fun

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Chaddykins said:
The booster + machine gun combo is so ridiculous to watch..and yea everything else too. Like a proper speedrun is not ever going to come close to looking that ridiculous hahah.
Yeah. I've been wanting to pull off a booster + machine gun combo like that for ages. O_O

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Wow:eek:. well i guess he set the standerded speedrun of the whole game, huh? I propose that we try to beat that time ,or at least finish the game in under two hours . I'd like to do it, but due to school and problems with the hell run ( 7:00:1),My video wold be a disapointment:(

So what do yo say to that:droll:

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:51 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
windsofwinds said:
Wow:eek:. well i guess he set the standerded speedrun of the whole game, huh? I propose that we try to beat that time ,or at least finish the game in under two hours . I'd like to do it, but due to school and problems with the hell run ( 7:00:1),My video wold be a disapointment:(

So what do yo say to that:droll:

Uhm, I think it would be pretty damn impossible to beat a TAS with a speedrun. The only possible way we could be that record is if we made an even better TAS, which isn't happening.

You know, there is a different standard for TAS runs and regular speedruns.

Yeah, I think that came out right.

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:56 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
DoubleThink said:
If you want to know how this was possible. Features mention of ex-forum-user upthorn!

Oh hi. I was just checking in to see if news of the TAS had made it back here yet.

The TAS was made possible by use of a tool that nitsuja (who isn't Japanese) wrote to provide determinism, savestates, and input-recording to windows games. It basically works by loading the game as though it was a debugger and forcing it to load a specially-made DLL, which intercepts a variety of system calls (like TimeGetTime) and provides emulated values which will theoretically always be the same if the executable takes the same codepath. Additionally it intercepts several library functions for screen-drawing, audio output, and keyboard-reading, so it can record input and play it back, as well as dumping avis with sound.
Savestates are accomplished mostly by just making a copy of the game's memory to save, and writing it back to load, but some systems have shown stability problems with this.

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:01 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
jnfkajnfasdf;adsfugnegineal hi ._. Thanks for stopping by, I really didn't know if you remembered this place or not.