Cave Story Remix Project 2

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Lace said:
Dec 23.
Weird I know.

The 21st or The 31st would make so much more sense.

The 23rd was chosen as the date so that the project could be released on the 24th, as a christmas gift to all Cave Story fans.

Granted that gives us only 1-2 days to wrap it all up if someone submits on the 23rd, but it shouldn't be too hard.

[EDIT]: The guy who was asking to "feature" the remix project turned out to be merlinoboy. This is what he offers:
I am Merlinoboy.

It means that I am featuring it on a wordpress site, and on Youtube.

I don’t yet know about how to ask Jet, but yes, I agree.
(I told him to direct further questions to jethawk)

Anyways I'm guessing we're going to turn him down, but it does bring up a good question: Where are we going to host this? Are we going to build a small site for it like the original CSRP?

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM
Been here way too long...
Should we make hard-copies and have them orderable on the site or just do downloadables?

Hmmmm.
The reason I said 21st or 31st is bc new years and start of winter. I dunno if everyone celebrates christmas.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Merlinoboy already has a WP blog up for the project: http://cavestoryremixproject2.wordpress.com/

Although I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of hosting it on a site like this, I don't like how he's just gone and made this without consulting us really.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Oh, dint see your edit.

I don't know who Merlinoboy is, tho noxid seems to have a blood feud with him, which is amusing.

What I find disconcerting is this:
"The Cave Story Remix Project 2 team"
"The official homepage of Cave Story Remix Project 2!"

I mean, he's obviously psyched about it, but I agree with what you said about taking the helm w/o notice or permission. Mostly he just seems young. I could see myself doing this, like, four years ago.

I would rather have a page on the tribute site dedicated to it then to make one of our own because it'll be easier to find, neater, and it won't cost us the five bucks a year to host it on our own. Of course, I'm open to our own wobsite, and we'll obviously need andwhy's permission if we want it on cavestory.org.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
I don't know who Merlinoboy is,

Oh you don't know how lucky you are.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I would be willing to get a website for the project and pay for it, but I probably wouldn't do much as far as actually designing it, as I have very little web design experience (I only know basic HTML and a wee bit of JavaScript), so I'd probably just PM you guys the password so you could work on it yourselves.

Tell Merlinoboy that we appreciate his enthusiasm but would rather that WE be in charge of "featuring" the project. If he wants to create a "tribute site" for the project, that's fine. But yeah, none of this "the official homepage" we'll make the official homepage.

Btw, did we finally eventually decide on "Echoes In The Dark" as the title? If so, then GIR should change the thread title to reflect this.

@Frozen: Yes, that's what I meant about the colors. For some reason, the default skin for the 3 CS subforums is still CS Dark, so you have to explicitly select CS argh mah eyes for it to be used. And I'll have a listen over the weekend some time. And you should totally do a King's Theme remix :p. And I should totally stop starting sentences with "And" :p.

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Whatever. I find multiple sentences that start with and to be more aesthetically appealing than run-ons, but hey. Guilty of both crimes, personally.
Nice of you to offer the site. Let's see if someone bites at the design job or not.

As for the title, I dunno. I was thinking about what order to put the songs in a few weeks back, when my comp was broken, and had a few different ideas. Since there are multiple remixes for each song, we can't really do it in chronological order (also because of global songs), so I was thinking of grouping them by what type of song they were. Boss songs and other intense songs could be in one group (running hell, eyes of flame, labyrinth battle), global songs in another (safety, death, item) and a final group of just the background ditties and fun stuff (curly/plantation, grasstown, etc).

Now, if we were to make a hard copy, we may have too many songs for one disk, so seperating these chunks out into three different cds. Echoes in the dark wouldn't really fit with all three sections when we divided them up, so each disk could be called something special (my ideas were "echoes in the dark", something I dunt remember, and "Bloody Fucking Hell" :p)

And then we could package the whole thing nicely and just call it csrp2.

Of course, we could divide them up by area as well. (See bottom for proposed divisions)

I'm cool with both of these ideas. The first is better if you know what type of music you want to listen to, the second is better if you want the experience of how the music was in game (but then again, all the duplicates could screw w/ your mind).

TL;DR: I have been thinking way too much about only trivially important things. I'll go insane if you don't help me.

Also I have a note on my desk that says for someone to medley white and Toroko's theme.
What say you?

Proposed Song Divisions (Looky if interested):
By Group:
Code:
DISK ONE (Chill):
Gestation
Geothermal
Jenka 1
Mimiga Town
Plant
Cemetary
Pulse
Moonsong
Tyrant
White
Toroko's Theme
Balrog's Theme
Safety
Access

DISK TWO (Fight):
Mischeivous Robot
Labyrinth Fight
Meltdown
Scorching Back
Running Hell
Last Battle
Zombie
Final Cave
Charge
Oppression
Run!
Gravity
Eyes of Flame

DISK THREE (Other):
Living Waterway
Cave Story
On to Grasstown
Jenka 2
Break Down
Quiet
Seal Chamber
Balcony
Hero's End

Chronologically:
Code:
DISK ONE (Echoes in the Dark):
Access
Gestation
Mimiga Town
Plant
Cemetary
Mischeivous Robot
Pulse
On to Grasstown
Meltdown
Jenka 1
Jenka 2
Labyrinth Fight
Geothermal
Oppression
Living Waterway

DISK TWO (Teenage Angst):
Quiet
Scorching Back
Moonsong
Hero's End
Cave Story
Final Cave
Balcony
Tyrant
Charge
Zombie
Run!
Break Down
Running Hell
Seal Chamber
The Way Back Home

DISK THREE (Lace's Bag of Fun):
Gravity
Eyes of Flame
Last Battle
Cave Story
White
Toroko's Theme
Balrog's Theme
Safety

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Anyways I'm guessing we're going to turn him down, but it does bring up a good question: Where are we going to host this? Are we going to build a small site for it like the original CSRP?
Someone called my name?
I could get you featured on the flashygoodness.com homepage...

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Divvying it up by genre sounds like a good idea to me.

I just don't see a hard copy happening for a few reasons:
1)Money
2)Time
3)People (to take money and time and turn them into CDs)

Plus there's the whole issue of shipping, copyright(?), et. cetera. Digital distribution seems like the most reasonable thing to me, and it's the easiest way to keep it free.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:45 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Schokobecher said:
I could get you featured on the flashygoodness.com homepage...

That would be really cool.

I'd build the webpage for it if I knew anything about html and whatnot, but I don't. [/useless]

Also on a side note I restarted the White remix I was working on.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:08 PM
Hmmmm.
The cost for the hardcopy would be
Code:
   CD
+ Printing
+ Packaging
+ Shipping

A quick google shows that you can get 15 lightscribe cds for 50 bucks, so cds are 30 cents apiece. For the case, we can just make paper ones. A sheet per cd, at $5 per 500 sheets is 5 cents a case, and then we can print out the coverart on that for almost nothing. As far as packaging goes, Manilla envelopes are 15 dollars per 100 (15 cents each) and stamps are what, 50 cents now?

So assuming that the targeted person is within reasonable mailing distance, and assuming that we make three seperate cds, it'll cost 3(.05+.30)+.50+.15 cents, or 1.70 american dollars per hardcopy we sell. We can just ask whoever buys it to pay that, and we'll give it to them. Hardcopy-making instructions on the site would be good too, if they want to be all diy.

Good point about time tho. Maybe we can just find some really jolly and/or drunk people to do it.

As far as making shipping close, we can just have different servers, so to speak, who'll make CDs. That way people won't have to pay too too much.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Um, how do you pay for them though..?

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM
We can just ask whoever buys it to pay that, and we'll give it to them.
That, or if you're talking money transfer, I hear paypal's good.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:18 PM
Vanished.
Good point about time tho. Maybe we can just find some really jolly and/or drunk people to do it.
Why does no one contact me?
Do I have to do everything on my own? D:

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM
How do you mean?

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:36 PM
Vanished.
I dunno.
You tell me.

I like your idead and you need drunk people...

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM
graters gonna grate
When you say you could feature us on flashygoodness.com, does that mean that a section of that would be our main website, or just sort of a "tribute" while the main one would be elsewhere? I'm guessing it could be done either way. I personally prefer the latter option, just because I think it would be nice to have our own domain name. Speaking of which, something like "csrp2.org"? Or ".com" or something else?

Lace, both of your groupings have my medley torn between all three groups >_>. As far as order of songs goes, if we did CDs, perhaps we could group by remix artist. That's a good way to balance unity with diversity. Probably each CD would have 2-3 different remix artists, and we'd group artists together mostly by what combinations would have enough time to fill a CD. However, it looks unlikely that we'll be doing CDs, so the real question is how to organize them on the website. I might be able to throw something together in JavaScript which would allow the user to sort and/or group by a variety of criteria (i.e. remix title, original song title, remix artist, chronological).

Lace said:
Also I have a note on my desk that says for someone to medley white and Toroko's theme.
What say you?
One of my org medleys had both of those songs, but it's not part of the project, and had 5 other non-cs songs, so m'eh.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:23 PM
Vanished.
I meant it as in:
"Click this link and go to the Cave Story Remix Project 2 Website because Flashygoodness says so"

I could take care of the domain and stuff.
I also got a ton of free time ( I mean like 23hrs a day) that I could invest in anything you want me to do.

I would also ship stuff to everywhere in the EU.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Schoko seems like a good candidate to handle the hosting business.. I believe he's got experience with this sort of thing, after all. And according to him, free time, which is the most valuable asset of all.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:43 PM
graters gonna grate
Actually, I already created the website. But anyone else can access it who I give the password.

Now sending a PM to JetHawk, FrozenFire, and Lace with password. Anyone else interested in working on the site, let me know. I should have some reason to believe that you're actually interested btw; not gonna just hand the password out to anyone...