Cave Story not working correctly...

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:49 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I really don't know where else to post this. I apologize if it is the wrong place, but I really need some help.
A while back I started the 3hp challenge (I have made it to Monster X but can't beat him) and then the whole thing for Windows 10 for free pops up.
I reserved it and continued failing miserably at attempting to defeat Monster X without taking a single hit.
So I updated to Windows 10 today. Now Cave Story is tiny.

I've never had this issue before. Basically,The game is the size of windowed mode. Right in the middle of the screen. It is surrounded with a black border. Too small for my taste.

I tried adjusting properties. Nothing helped. I tried restarting computer, nothing changed. I tried troubleshooting via windows, nothing. I Googled it, nothing came up. Am I the only one with this problem? Is there a solution? Find out in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!

Okay really though. I could use some help.

I have tried other games and they all work fine. I haven't touched the settings on my monitor.

If this is in the wrong section, I am very, very sorry, and I promise it won't happen again, but I am really desperate for some help here. Thank you very much for reading this fairly long post!

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Are you playing on fullscreen? Or windowed? Check the config, it might be related to your screen preference.

This is actually supposed to be in the technical issues forum, but whatever.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:05 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Fullscreen.
Just in the middle, black borders surrounding entire thing.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Have you tried full32-bit?

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Trying to get the Windows 10 upgrade now...
In the meantime, is there a compatibility mode for Windows 8 or 7? (right click on exe, properties, look for compatibility something related) ...Maybe use 640x480 compatibility option if it still exists?

You could also try video card options; I know Nvidia Control Panel has a place related to resizing somewhere, maybe switch to GPU or Display and make sure Aspect Ratio is selected.

Could try using a ddraw.dll like DXGL and setting the options to Fit to screen aspect ratio.

If you have multiple monitors, maybe you could use something like OBS to record/stream your Cave Story, and with the right options (fit to screen), turn full-screen preview on, and play it through the preview window... while the game is selected.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:04 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't have a graphics card at all, it's just integrated Intel HD graphics. So nothing like a dedicated GPU or anything like that. I only have one monitor. I have no idea what a ddraw.dll or DXGL is. I also checked the control panel for the Intel graphics but nothing like that came up. How would I open that while playing the game anyway?
Where is the full 32 bit option? I can't find it anywhere. There is only 6 bit and 16 bit options, but that's for color. I did try both and nothing changed. I tried the compatibility mode for all versions but nothing changed then either. This is really frustrating. Also, I keep getting a notification from my graphics thing that the display is not the optimal resolution. It tells me what the optimal resolution is, so I go to check what it is currently set to. Strangely, the resolution is at what it says the optimal resolution is. I don't know whether it is talking about the game or if it is talking about normal desktop. It pops up sometimes when I start the game, then it says to click the notification for more info and the notification disappears. Bugs of a new OS I guess...

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Generally this is the fault of:
a. Your graphics card.
b. Your graphics card's drivers.

Essentially one of these is refusing to support 640x480 and is defaulting to some other resolution.

This problem is exactly the same as:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/6019/

crazycucumbers said:
Where is the full 32 bit option?
In DoConfig.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:04 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, I don't have a dedicated graphics card. It's just the Intel HD integrated crap hole. There isn't anything I can do about it if it were the fault of the graphics thingy built in the cpu, because the CPU is soldered on to the motherboard. In order to update my drivers, it says I have to download some program off of their website and blahbitty blah blah do I really have to do all that? There is no option to update anywhere in the menus.I did try 32 bit and it did nothing. Also, my issue is slightly different. My screen is smack-dab in the very center, not the upper left. In case it makes a difference. I really appreciate all the help you guys, thank you so much!

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It's a difference in how your driver or OS handles not being able to render at a specific resolution. Find some random exe file (preferably one that doesn't run in fullscreen), right-click on it, go into properties, open the compatibility tab, and turn on "run under 640x480 resolution" or whatever. If your computer interface is squished down beyond all recognition when you run this exe file then 640x480 works on your machine and I will eat my hat, but that won't happen.

Personally I would recommend either:
1. Getting a decent graphics card.
2. Updating your drivers.
3. Use this: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/194328 (however this won't help you if you want to play mods in fullscreen)
4. Playing Cave Story windowed (not full screen).

crazycucumbers said:
There isn't anything I can do about it if it were the fault of the graphics thingy built in the cpu, because the CPU is soldered on to the motherboard.
That made absolutely no sense.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:27 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Honestly, my only suggestion would be to revert back to your previous Windows version. Windows 10 is very finnicky and alot of people are having problems with it.

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:33 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My computer has no place to put a graphics card. It is basically a laptop's internals put into a computer case. (I bought it pre-built, and it was like $200. I'm poor lol). Windowed is absolutely tiny and thus unplayable...I haven't played any mods, don't really plan to. As for the reverting to an older Windows, I've heard that the process causes more issues than Windows 10 does. Maybe I'll just wait for some updates to Windows 10 before completing my 3hp challenge. I don't know, I rarely played the game anymore anyway. Fighting Monster X with 3 hp is not something I like to do often, because it gets really frustrating. As for the part that made no sense, I can't really explain it better. The CPU that doubles as a GPU is soldered on the motherboard. There is no way to take it off without completely damaging the computer. Maybe I should buy it off the 3ds E-shop. Problem is that I would have to begin the entire game all over again, but I like the controls better. I think it would be the best option because then I could also take it on the go (along with the addicting game that is Pokemon Alpha Sapphire) and I could have multiple save files. Best part is that I wouldn't have to worry about something like all this happening. I really appreciate all the help you guys. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:12 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
crazycucumbers said:
I haven't played any mods, don't really plan to.
Then download this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wut5dd3y6bz27v7/widef.exe?dl=0

..and place widef.exe in the same folder as Doukutsu.exe and run it instead of Doukutsu.exe. If I am correct it should solve your problems, assuming of course that your graphics.. attachment.. thing (if it's not a graphics card then what the hell do I call it?) supports a resolution of 1280x720.

Failing that tell us what resolutions your graphics attachment thing supports so that we can create a modified widef.exe to accommodate you.

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:15 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think you just call it "graphics chip" or "integrated graphics"

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It kind of works. It is still too small for my screen for one thing, but it is much more playable than it was previously. I could actually deal with this size. (I was worried it would give me a virus because Windows stopped me from running it at first). It also looks a bit stretched.

But the thing that really makes it unplayable is that it runs very, very, very slowly. The music is normal speed, but trying to move Quote around is like trying to swim through molasses. And yes, it would just be called integrated graphics.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Sounds like there's an issue with your graphics drivers.

The version andwhyisit linked is meant to look stretched.
Is Cave Story only very slow when using that version?

I think it'd probably be best to run Cave Story in windowed mode at a higher resolution.
(I'd need to make a modified EXE, and even then, it might still run slowly..)

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:34 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, it only happened on that version. Which I think is odd. So that means I have to go to the Intel website, download their driver update app, and then use that to update my drivers? As far as I could see there wasn't any place to do it in the graphics tray options and stuff. I'll do it, but if there is an easier way update it could you tell me? Because that way feels like it's way longer than it should be...or is it just me? And I really appreciate all this help! I know I've said it a lot, but on plenty of other forums when I need help, people just refuse to help and instead act like stuck up jerks. Not that I join forums often.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:02 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
You can try updating via the device manager, but I have no guarantees it would work for you. But to be honest I would have thought that the driver update app would be the best bet. What problems are you experiencing with it?

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I couldn't find anything in the device options, it said that its drivers were up to date. I looked in the download section of the Intel website (didn't know that was there heheh sorry) and I couldn't find anything there either. The CPU my computer uses is an Intel Celeron J1800 piece of crap. I searched for an update to the drivers for Windows 10, but there weren't any. So I installed what appeared to be the latest version of the drivers, and when I went to install them, it warned me that I was actually going to an older version than what was currently installed on the computer. Now I'm really stuck...any help would be appreciated. I am very thankful for all the help so far!

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:51 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'd suggest either installing an older version of Windows, or getting a new computer.

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:33 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Personally I would suggest the latter of the two options. Please make sure you are able to switch out components in whatever new machine you get, because it is much cheaper to replace a graphics card than it is to replace an entire box.