Cave Story Hacking FAQ

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:20 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I started it, so the beginner help thread won't needed anymore in the near future.

Download (zip)

It's not finished I know, but it's a start.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:50 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This is because of me isn't it. :D

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:11 PM
Hoxtilicious
Not only :D

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:55 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Gyro said:
Good idea.

Hey I like it! Now when my internet crashes I won't need to stop all my hacking work and sit on my chair for the next half and hour before I can search through the FAQs :D

Edit - Oh darn the files are .html's -_-" Erm, S.P., could you compile them all onto a test document intead of having them link around please :D

Or maybe I could do that myself... NVM I can do it myself!

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:17 PM
Hoxtilicious
It's not finished anyway, sorry.

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:56 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well this could be useful. I hope it gets finished soon because the search function isn't helping me...
It will explain how to find and modify Cave Story's dialogue, right?

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:39 AM
Luls
Four said:
Well this could be useful. I hope it gets finished soon because the search function isn't helping me...
It will explain how to find and modify Cave Story's dialogue, right?

Ehh yeah... It will tell you almost everything.

It includes guides on how to use TSC if I'm not mistaken. And you need to learn TSC to edit the Cave Story dialogues :D

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
TSC?
What does it mean?

Anyhow, I was having fun with Sue's workshop. And it seems that for every map there is a script thingie. I can edit the dialogue there easily. ^_^

Since my current aim is only to make a French translation of the game for now (mainly for myself, though I figure that perhaps some people will be grateful to see the game in French) it's sufficient. I don't really need to change who speaks and such. :)

However, I'll have to be careful about the way things are named. I'm especially curious to know why and how Curly and Quote got their name. (As I've seen fanart where Quote was written as Quart or something... ) And of course, Curly and Quote are english words, and not all that easy to pronounce in French...

BTW, do agtp mind if their translation is used? I don't know a japanese word so I'll obviously be doing an english to french translation, thus using their translation. I think I'll contact them anyways at some point. Though I'm not sure they still have any interest in digging up whatever info they had... =/

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:16 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I have no idea what TSC means either but its got something to do with rescripting the game.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:02 PM
Luls
Ok... Is this the right place for asking a question? I can't find it in the FAQ so i figured this would be the best place to ask a small question instead of starting a whole new thread just for this simple question =/

So... my question is:

How do you make lightning strike when you've activated a trigger? Like... you walk past a certain area and lightning strikes? =/ please help me I really need it to continue my mod =/... Haven't posted it yet though =D

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:48 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
So, a REAL guide heh... Last time I was here there wasn't much (well, not that there is now, but it's moreso than before), and I tried to learn on my own... I didn't get very far... All I can do is eddit maps (easy) Change some dialogue (also easy) and copypasta "events". I REALLY wanna try and make a mod, and have had a "game idea" for the longest time that could finally be fulfilled if I knew how to work this stuff...

I can learn it time yes, but first thing I need is to get the basic outline of the world... To do that I'd need to know how to set backgrounds instead of just reshaping the areas already in the game, change the music in the areas, figure out how Doors work... I think I could get the base of it that way... For once I'd like to actually make something out of my idea instead of it just dying or collecting mental/virtual dust.

That aside, I need help ;_;

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:13 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How do you import orgs into CS?

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:14 PM
Four said:
I'm especially curious to know why and how Curly and Quote got their name.=/

I don't know the why, but I know the how: Quote is named after the quotation mark ' and curly is named after the curly brace {.

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:01 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
fatguy said:
I don't know the why, but I know the how: Quote is named after the quotation mark ' and curly is named after the curly brace {.

Indeed... Wikipedia is your best friend with the things like this. :o
And Jenka is named after letkajenkka, a Finnish dance... That's crazy, almost pure madness.

Oh yeah, and greetings from the north here. xD

(Ok, enough of this offtopic with me for now)

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Woah, I didn't know that '{' was named a curly brace.
It makes sense now... o_o
Those really are a set of odd names...

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:20 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Uh... dl isn't working...? Or is it just me?

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lyger..? Are you King Lyger from Middle Ground?