Cave Story finally on DS(i)?

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:05 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
According to this article, at least SOME of what the WiiWare title had. Most likely the additional modes, and most definitely the music (they're sure of it this time!)

On the plus side, patch for WiiWare is in the works. I don't recall a game breaking bug, though. Then again, I haven't touched the system in a while. Related to that, Europe is finally going to have their chance soon.

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:33 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If you bring up the map system on a map that is too big to display, the game crashes. And there's no percussion. And the old music doesn't loop properly. Did I miss anythig?

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:36 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Translation might not have been game breaking

but it broke my heart

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:49 AM
And guess what they'll be using for the DS version? :p

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Noxid said:
Translation might not have been game breaking
-snip-
but it broke my heart
Well it will most likely contain the EU fix that changes "Oh yeah!" to "Huzzah!" and fixes various bugs.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
F---!!!!!
They just abandoned DS! ( I know it's hard to do the porting to DS tho.
I don't have a f---ing dsi!!!
God dorn it!! How could they port CS onto a transitional console!?
How could they!?
F---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..and there is really no need to port it onto 3DS you know..
3DS is better for f---ing FPS, not platformer.

Oh I'm really mad. That's not right. I should calm down.
*Smash the table*

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:20 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Onlineworms, I, too, share slight indignation that they are just going 'Oh hey, lets go onto the newer DS, Everyones got one of them! Old DS? What about them lololol'
I mean, it'd make sence to do compatability for old DS, Then maybe cashcow on the 'newer' models. (and if it turns out neither DS console is compatable with each other I'm going to scream so hard)

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
NightmareBros said:
(and if it turns out neither DS console is compatable with each other I'm going to scream so hard)

Prepare your lungs, then. I'm not a programmer, but I don't think the 3DS Doukutsu will be compatible with any other DS-class console. Same way, you couldn't play Pokemon Gold on ye olde GB pocket, even if technically games were similar.

I don't own DS, still, it's a dick move from Nicalis.

[edit]
@down
Just checked the Wiki, it looks like playing Gold on Grey One was possible. Oh my, I lived so long with false wisdom! :)

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:04 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
But they didn't say it was going on the 3DS, they said it was DSi ware. Also, you could play Pokemon Gold on The Brick, but it didn't work on the pocket? Hm.

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:24 AM
Noxid said:
But they didn't say it was going on the 3DS, they said it was DSi ware. Also, you could play Pokemon Gold on The Brick, but it didn't work on the pocket? Hm.

No it's not going to be ported on 3DS. I was only assuming.
My opinion is, CS is not necessary be on 3DS, neither on DSI because it's transitional and its user won't be as many as DS'.
Guh! Only if the hardware of DS allows that port.
I don't need a "better graphic" remake, I just want it original.
You see, the graphic is not the key which makes CS so attractive, right?

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:37 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
onlineworms said:
No it's not going to be ported on 3DS. I was only assuming.
My opinion is, CS is not necessary be on 3DS, neither on DSI because it's transitional and its user won't be as many as DS'.
Guh! Only if the hardware of DS allows that port.
I don't need a "better graphic" remake, I just want it original.
You see, the graphic is not the key which makes CS so attractive, right?
I do agree with you on this.

its the reason why I never bought Cave Story Wii.

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It likely isn't for DS (as opposed to DSi) for one reason and one reason only: you can't download a download-only title with a platform that is incapable of doing so. Nicalis do not produce their games on physical media so DS owners have no way to get a hold of the game even if it could play on the DS.

The use of the DSi platform has nothing to do with graphics or using the capabilities of the hardware. It is not a move to the next best viable platform but rather to the only viable platform. DSi or bust.

p.s. The graphics will likely not be 2xres'd or changed since the screen size would never support it.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:08 PM
andwhyisit said:
It likely isn't for DS (as opposed to DSi) for one reason and one reason only: you can't download a download-only title with a platform that is incapable of doing so. Nicalis do not produce their games on physical media so DS owners have no way to get a hold of the game even if it could play on the DS.

The use of the DSi platform has nothing to do with graphics or using the capabilities of the hardware. It is not a move to the next best viable platform but rather to the only viable platform. DSi or bust.

p.s. The graphics will likely not be 2xres'd or changed since the screen size would never support it.

I guess it could be done like selling digital arts..
Hmm but this sounds stupid.
Well, Pixel himself had asked for DS port developing stop, I've gave up all hopes already at that time.
Besides, DS' hardware problem, the's the main reason, I guess.

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
andwhyisit said:
And PSP isn't? They too have a downloadable service available to them, and quite frankly, is a lot more robust then what DSiware has to offer. Too bad Sony's outing is struggling to maintain the portable with consumers.

And to produce media for the game? No game publisher/developer does that directly, but they do hire a company to do just that. (for quite a bit cheaper then you might think) Of course, building a DS cartridge is probably more expensive per unit than stamping a DVD...

...and Pokemon Gold/Silver should be compatible with the Pocket! (Crystal needed the Color) The only advantages to using Color with those two games was that you get a wider color pallet, the ability to "wirelessly" battle/trade with other trainers (impractical since both GBC's had to stay absolutely still on a table), and to communicate with Pokemon Pikachu 2.