Cave Story FanArt

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:48 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Thank you! It took a fair bit of effort - about 16 hours, spread out over a week or two. The only reason I could stay focused was that it gave me an excuse to not do more important things like studying :p

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:01 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jul 6, 2020 at 10:36 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Couldn't make head or tail of (how to draw) the dragon. Get it? Ha ha. Sorry.

p373740-0-untitled44.png

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Plain old criticism is welcomed, too.
Wish I could offer advice, but my drawing skills are poor. Anyway, I liked it a lot, and loaded it in photoshop etc on a whim! Just for fun, hope you don't mind:
cavestoryimage-edit2.jpg

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:59 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Late, but that's a gorgeous piece! :>

Good use of 16 hours, though not necessarily a good replacement for studying. (Hopefully you got that done eventually.)

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:20 PM
Wish I could offer advice, but my drawing skills are poor. Anyway, I liked it a lot, and loaded it in photoshop etc on a whim! Just for fun, hope you don't mind:
cavestoryimage-edit2.jpg
I love how dynamic you made it! Especially the clouds and the shading. I gotta say, you're good at this!

Late, but that's a gorgeous piece! :>

Good use of 16 hours, though not necessarily a good replacement for studying. (Hopefully you got that done eventually.)
Thanks a bunch! I shall keep your well-wishes in mind, and in turn wish you well with what it is that you do!

...So, I realised I haven't drawn Curly recently, so here have a quick simple doodle:
p373910-1-bqbwwrs.png
I tried vectorizing it, but it's not very good, so meh.
(criticism is welcomed)

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
@spvcejames

Attachments

• TlAqux5d (2).png
    TlAqux5d (2).png
    409 KB · Views: 19
Dec 24, 2020 at 7:39 PM
This is kind of late, but hey, sinisterMayo, I really like this! The little shadow effect, the dust cloud on the ground, the effects around the guns, the billowing scarf/hair, the color choices, it all looks wonderful! Please do keep at it with your art because it is really cool.

...so I was busy with school and missed the big day :/. Happy 16th birthday, Cave Story! It's been forever since I've drawn anything, but still, have a sloppy doodle
p374833-0-fwe9lqh.png

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:17 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Quote be READING

Nice

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:56 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Seems this thread no longer gets any traction. Let me fix that with a digital drawing of my favorite mimiga:
Kanpachi 1.png

I'll be posting here somewhat frequently as I try to get the hang of pixel art. Feel free to give any pointers (and hopefully a few resources) to help me by.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:47 PM
Based Member
Oh wow, I can't believe that this thread went almost an entire year without any posts.

For what it is, I think the picture looks decent. It's a pretty simple and small drawing, so there's not much to comment on, but I think the feet and torso are pretty well-drawn. It might be nice if the image was framed so that Kanpachi's lower body wasn't cut off. I like the touch of Chinfish peeking out from behind. I see what you're trying to do with the reflection of Chinfish in the water, but it's kind of hard to bring that out given that we don't have a clear view of the water. I'm not a great pixel artist, so don't ask me how, but I feel like Kanpachi's face and eyes could be improved a bit.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:04 PM
"Huzzah!"
aw, that's cute, i like how his clothes are shaded!

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:38 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
CHINFISH
Very nice drawing, more Kanpachi

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:37 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Oh wow. Didn't expect this many responses. Thanks for the compliments.
Kanpachi's face and eyes could be improved a bit.
You're right. I committed one of the ultimate sins in drawing and messed up the alignment of the eyes. I also realized their head was pretty big, so I shrunk it down. Can you believe it was even LARGER before I posted this version? Made them into a big dumb egghead.

It might be nice if the image was framed so that Kanpachi's lower body wasn't cut off.
I must've gotten scared to draw the rock edge and water underneath, cramming the poor mimiga into the bottom of the image. Never really got the hang of drawing anything other than characters, but since I want to make a graphical mod, I must practice everything.

I like the touch of Chinfish peeking out from behind. I see what you're trying to do with the reflection of Chinfish in the water, but it's kind of hard to bring that out given that we don't have a clear view of the water.
The fish is supposed to be in a bucket. How embarrassing for me... Thanks for all the advice. Seems I need to work on the fundamentals a little bit more.

Kanpachi 1 Revision 1.png
I went back and spruced it up. I think this looks much better than the first. Almost unrecognizable even.

I also drew another image, but this time, it's of my 2nd favorite mimiga, Santa (and Chako):
Santa Chako Fireplace.png
Surprise, a colored drawing! Wanted to incorporate a lot more colors and a background for this one. Worked on it until I hit a wall. I'm not fully satisfied with it, but I thought it was good enough to post. Criticism is always welcome.

By the way, did you know Santa wears pants/shorts?

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:01 PM
Based Member
I went back and spruced it up. I think this looks much better than the first. Almost unrecognizable even.
Definitely a lot of improvement there. Kanpachi's eyes look a lot better, and I like how you added the rock edge there, it definitely makes the image feel more complete. The one thing is that even though it's a lot more obvious now that Chinfish is in a bucket, the blend between Chinfish and the bucket doesn't look very natural.

I also drew another image, but this time, it's of my 2nd favorite mimiga, Santa (and Chako):
I really like this one. That's some nice shading from the light of the fire. I love how you did Chaco's relaxed expression and demeanor, it fits her character very well. Santa's body looks pretty good, but something about his eye seems off. I'm having trouble telling if he's nervous or frustrated.

By the way, did you know Santa wears pants/shorts?
I never paid super close attention, but looking back at his sprite, that does indeed seem to be the case.

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:01 AM
The fish is supposed to be in a bucket. How embarrassing for me... Thanks for all the advice. Seems I need to work on the fundamentals a little bit more.

Its ok!
I think it looks nice, however, the dithering on the background might be too much imo
It looks kinda noisy.

Also uhh
I made some Misery art because Misery awesome.
These are kinda """old""" but I thought it would be nice if I posted them here.
miserybeloved.PNG
Aaaaand long hair Mis ig
momsery69.png
Idk, I thought it would look nice (along with the chromatic aberration effect)
No lineart because I haven't how to draw proper lineart yet lmfao

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 3:31 AM
Based Member
I really like that second one. It has a unique art style that is different from what I'm used to seeing in most Cave Story fan art, and it has an interesting shading effect. It makes me think of cartoons between 2001-2009.

By the way, it's best not to double-post like that. If you have the most recent post in the thread and you want to add an extra thought, then you should edit your latest post unless it's been 48 hours or longer since the post was made.

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:35 AM
I really like that second one. It has a unique art style that is different from what I'm used to seeing in most Cave Story fan art, and it has an interesting shading effect. It makes me think of cartoons between 2001-2009.

By the way, it's best not to double-post like that. If you have the most recent post in the thread and you want to add an extra thought, then you should edit your latest post unless it's been 48 hours or longer since the post was made.
Thanks!
I want to make my style look more like 80s or 90s anime though, but I still haven't practiced that style yet.
Also, my bad lmfao, gonna edit it rq.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:30 PM
Hello gamers
I offer you another Misery
MIZAAA.png
Just a quick thing, I usually do lineless

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:47 PM
Based Member
Hello gamers
I offer you another Misery
View attachment 8059
Just a quick thing, I usually do lineless
That one makes me think of Jesse of Team Rocket. Interesting how you have one of her dark things positioned in a way that makes it look like it's an earring. And the way that the other things are drawn remind me of those floaty fragments of goo that you often see in anime.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:27 PM
"Huzzah!"
i have been outputting a quite frankly concerning amount of cave story fanart ever since i properly fell into the fandom around 2018 but somehow kept forgetting to post it here

so... here's some recent stuff!

i don't really know the culture around self-promo here/whether it's acceptable or not so i'll just say that if you wanna see more my twitter is linked on my account here

cs3dles.png
tumblr_ab8ae932af086e2c2594434aef47bffe_7313f6ef_1280.png
tumblr_090d2eb827710e1d83467f2d16058408_9d86a589_400.png
tumblr_7d0e7ebde7c69ed51e7b4268d7f28023_3d25b11b_400.png