Cave Story FanArt

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:46 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
andwhyisit said:
Ugh. Stereotyping.

And where is German Quote?

If that is stereotyping, then where is American Quote's gun? Why does he look like he's maintaining a healthy weight? Where are his sunglasses? And the product placements?

The only thing that seperates american quote from the others is a flag, and that doesn't cut it for a stereotype. I also don't get why Canadian Quote is crying, give him a beer and a hockey stick? And english Quote deserves a monocle, since england is incredibly fancy. Don't know why the Australian Quote has a giant knife/sword, unless it's supposed to be a machete, which is still a bit of a stretch I'd say.

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:49 AM
Been here way too long...
Pronouns: he/him
Australian Quote has a sword because it has King's soul in it. Haven't you played Cave Story?
And the different versions of Quote are stereotyped so that it doesn't just look like Quote wearing 4 different hats. I could go on and on about how stereotyping is fine, but I won't, since this is a fan art section. But how about Mexican Curly? Eh?

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:00 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Australian Quote has a sword because it has King's soul in it.

No: Because 'et's a knife.

And english Quote deserves a monocle, since england is incredibly fancy.

Ah crud, I forgot the monocle.

I also don't get why Canadian Quote is crying, give him a beer and a hockey stick?

Canadian Quote is emo because nobody takes him seriously.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:09 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
If that is stereotyping, then where is American Quote's gun? Why does he look like he's maintaining a healthy weight? Where are his sunglasses? And the product placements?

You still haven't answered these :(

[Edit]: And why is it that Australian Quote has a yellow scarf? The knife thing still doesn't make much sense either.
And I'm pretty sure our Quote is japanese quote, since the game was made in japan. This is assuming that quote has any distinct features besides being a robot w/ black hair and his attire.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:13 AM
Well, you see, American Quote = Original Quote, and Original Quote doesn't have excess body fat/sunglasses/Dr Pepper logo plastered on his hat.

And I fail at guns, so I went with the flag.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:16 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Wasn't the original Quote Japanese?

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:16 AM
Um, Original Quote = Japanese, tyvm.
American Quote has a bigger gun than everyone else but is asleep, because he is confident in his big gun.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
T-Jack said:
Wasn't the original Quote Japanese?

Yeah, not to mention he's a robot. So it's most likely he is even if the game didn't originate from japan, what with his functionality and all.

Quote = MADE IN JAPAN

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM
Captain Fabulous said:
Um, Original Quote = Japanese, tyvm.

I assumed he was American because Pixel said "Curly Brace" in plain English is written on his hat.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM
QUOTE = MADE IN CHINA, AS OPPOSED TO CURLY, WHO CAN BREATHE UNDERWATER AND IS INVINCIBLE.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:23 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Jackalope said:
I assumed he was American because Pixel said "Curly Brace" in plain English is written on his hat.

On that assumption, we could also claim that quote is english/australian/canadian/other-english-speaking-countries.

And to be honest, it's not unusual to see english writing in japan. On shirts and everything really. Leads to a lot of "engrish" though, since some of them don't know the language that well.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:23 AM
This Troper
Jackalope said:
When I was a kid, I had a Mickey Mouse cap. Does that make me an American?

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:39 AM
All right, I jumped the gun. Permission to keep my misconception?

As for the scarf thing: We know Quote's scarf is green. People frequently give him a red scarf, so Canadian Quote's is red. British Quote's is blue because it matches the flag, and Australian Quote's scarf is the leftover color.

And the knife is evidently too obscure a joke...

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:53 AM
This Troper
Jackalope said:
All right, I jumped the gun. Permission to keep my misconception?
Of course not! ...Not!

Jackalope said:
As for the scarf thing: We know Quote's scarf is green. People frequently give him a red scarf, so Canadian Quote's is red. British Quote's is blue because it matches the flag, and Australian Quote's scarf is the leftover color.
"In multiplayer mode, players are differentiated by the scarf color." Also, just out of curiosity, how do we know that the scarf is green?

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:55 AM
Also, just out of curiosity, how do we know that the scarf is green?

When Quote examines things, there's a little green dot on his neck. That's the scarf. Easy to miss, hence why everyone assumes his scarf is red to match his outfit.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:01 AM
This Troper
Jackalope said:
When Quote examines things, there's a little green dot on his neck. That's the scarf. Easy to miss, hence why everyone assumes his scarf is red to match his outfit.
Oh. I've never noticed that before... Oh well. Anyone here has anything else to discuss or shall we return to the fanart now?

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:21 AM
I wish I could draw... I could do stuff maybe.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:21 AM
In front of a computer
Sick Bastard said:
Because it's fun?

Jackalope said:
Flat, eh? ...I used to do simple shading that added a little depth. Don't know why I stopped, so maybe I should start again.
Shading isn't sufficient for depth. You need to give an impression of thickness as well.

By the way, something's off about their faces. Perhaps they're a bit too round, or too fat, or something...

DynaShock said:
To be quite honest, that looks more like a cat than a dog. Though I suppose either is possible.

Captain Fabulous said:
Australian Quote has a sword because it has King's soul in it. Haven't you played Cave Story?
But that picture doesn't have a sword in it. King's sword is a double-edged sword, whereas Quote in that picture is holding a single-edged meat cleaver or something similar. (I know some swords are single-edged, but non of them have a blade wider than the hilt.)

Jackalope said:
Is there support for this theory in the Wii graphics?

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:22 AM
Celtic Minstrel said:
I know some swords are single-edged, but non of them have a blade wider than the hilt.
Cloud.

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:37 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Captain Fabulous said:

He doesn't count for being imaginary and a faggot.

It's a failed attempt to draw Quote as the Sniper.

Back