Cave Story FanArt

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:39 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Pronouns: he/him
Torokokins, please never stop drawing. let me be the first to say you're just a natural at it. And on the topic of the length of their garments, I think it varies on the character. Like look here:
p21918-0-migimas.gif

King and Sue's sweater's go all the way down their legs, but Jacks and Toroko's (from her sprite) don't but it's obviously not treated as taboo. I think with furry/animal characters, they can be usually shown without any garments without anyone considering it nudity or anything.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:12 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
BUT THIS IS ABOUT ME AND MY PREFERENCES, SINCE THAT IS WHAT MATTERS.
You're right though, Yakkers, although it is up to Torokokins to draw however he or she wants. Maybe not everyone else will find Toroko's plain crotch as disconcerting as I do.
As for that thar picture, King appears to be wearing a cape, and his purple sweater is concealed, proving that Pixel holds no high regard for artistic consistency.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nudity in regards to the lower regions is obviously not taboo for Mimigas. This is a different species and culture after all. Only humans have taboos against nudity on our world, so why expect other sentient species to follow suit?

Captain Fabulous said:
As for that thar picture, King appears to be wearing a cape, and his purple sweater is concealed, proving that Pixel holds no high regard for artistic consistency.
1. What sweater?
2. King always had the cape/cloak.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:49 AM
Assistance
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
DynaShock said:
my fucking sharpie's running out of ink

btw, aaaaaa crazy toroko

I kind of messed up Quote's arms, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

This is quite lulzy, I like it. lol

Here's what I drew. I know, it's pretty sad. But hey, it's my first time drawing these characters. So ablaragh to you.

Click, if you wish to die.

And no, the fatass misery did not take 5 minutes, I actually have no idea how long it took me, I wasn't really specific during my sentence.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM
andwhyisit said:
Nudity in regards to the lower regions is obviously not taboo for Mimigas. This is a different species and culture after all. Only humans have taboos against nudity on our world, so why expect other sentient species to follow suit?
Humans are also the only sentient species. Coincidence?

andwhyisit said:
2. King always had the cape/cloak.
It looks like a purple sweater to me.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:28 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
andwhyisit said:

Smart people protect their most prized organs as opposed to letting them scrape on the ground whenever they fall. A more plausible explanation is that they already have fur down there.

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:10 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Torokokins said:
Think what you want, as far as the sprites go, between their legs (er... feet), there's a clearly a gap of white there.
Well, if you want to follow the game sprites, consider this: 1) The Mimigas' legs look more like those of rabbits than humans, and 2) All of the Village Mimigas' clothes end two pixels above the ground on their sprites. Yes, I am a bit of a prude.

DynaShock said:
my fucking sharpie's running out of ink

btw, aaaaaa crazy toroko

I kind of messed up Quote's arms, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.
Heh. BTW, Qoute's arms seem fine, but he looks kinda chubby.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM
meep
Ralren said:
This is quite lulzy, I like it. lol

Here's what I drew. I know, it's pretty sad. But hey, it's my first time drawing these characters. So ablaragh to you.

Haha, that's pretty good. Sue's all like "DAMMIT STOP POINTING AT EVERYONE ALL THE TIME!"

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Ralren said:

If you fixed Jack's legs that would be a nearly perfect drawing. Except, what is that guy up there holding? A... magic wand?

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:27 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
T-Jack said:
Well, if you want to follow the game sprites, consider this: 1) The Mimigas' legs look more like those of rabbits than humans, and 2) All of the Village Mimigas' clothes end two pixels above the ground on their sprites. Yes, I am a bit of a prude.

If I wanted to copy the game sprites, ONLY, then 1) all of the Mimiga would have similar looking clothing, 2) guns would look like Tetris shapes, and 3) King would look like he's wearing a turtleneck. Turtlenecks do not seem like the kind of clothing a warrior not living in luxury conditions would wear. I'd say King would wear a raggedy cloak, such as the one in Pixel's illustrations.

Also, I was referring to the sprites as a little backup that their clothes aren't that "goddamn short." I'm not relying solely on the sprites to portray the characters.

Check my last grouping of drawings (not the sprites), I even tried to draw King in a cloak (and failed miserably).

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM
This Troper
Torokokins said:
If I wanted to copy the game sprites, ONLY, then 1) all of the Mimiga would have similar looking clothing, 2) guns would look like Tetris shapes, and 3) King would look like he's wearing a turtleneck. Turtlenecks do not seem like the kind of clothing a warrior not living in luxury conditions would wear. I'd say King would wear a raggedy cloak, such as the one in Pixel's illustrations.
True.

Torokokins said:
Also, I was referring to the sprites as a little backup that their clothes aren't that "goddamn short." I'm not relying solely on the sprites to portray the characters.
Well, by "goddamn short", I was referring to your drawing, not the sprites. (Am I not getting something here?)

Torokokins said:
Check my last grouping of drawings (not the sprites), I even tried to draw King in a cloak (and failed miserably).
Not that miserably, though it looked more like a coat. A badass coat, for that matter.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:05 PM
meep
I always imagined King wearing a sweater, but a long baggy robe-like one.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM
If you're going to draw King, don't forget about his sword. It's his defining characteristic. It's like, "Yeah, whatever, he's number one, he's bitchy about stuff, snore, OMFG HE HAS A SWORD OMFG HE DIED." But I don't think it's a big-ass Cloud-type mo fo sword, it's an actually useful one.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:34 PM
meep
Agreed. His sword is what makes him badass, which is probably why Jack always has his finger pointing. He's jealous of King having a weapon so he pretends he has a gun to make himself feel important.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM
This Troper
Yakkers said:
Agreed. His sword is what makes him badass, which is probably why Jack always has his finger pointing. He's jealous of King having a weapon so he pretends he has a gun to make himself feel important.
Heh. *gives Yakkers a cookie* Now someone should draw Jack with a gun.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Assistance
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Captain Fabulous said:
If you fixed Jack's legs that would be a nearly perfect drawing. Except, what is that guy up there holding? A... magic wand?

It's misery again, with a uglier and a manlier touch than before!

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:01 AM
In front of a computer
Schokobecher said:
It's ugly.
Kill yourself.
If you have nothing nice to say, remain silent. It's a good rule in general.

Sick Bastard said:
Jackalope listen up, obviously sitting on your ass hasn't helped your art skills much, so here are some pointers

1. Learn perspective. Balrog looks dumb in this.

2. "Watercolor" does not mean "let the paint run outside the lines".

3. Look at real things before you try to draw them. Quote's gun looks like a water pistol or something and every person you draw looks like they have a balloon for a head, and some other problems I won't bother to point out. Also, look at anatomy tutorials
This is not constructive criticism. It's just plain criticism: "your art is bad and this is why". Constructive criticism would also add "but you did this and this well".

That said, it's at least better than Schokobecher's comment.

Sick Bastard said:
Okay, here's my respect:

LEARN TO DRAW
This is not respect.

Fahrenheight said:
Ooh, these look quite nice! :D

Torokokins said:
They're not goddamn short :\
They really are quite short; I would consider the Mimigas to generally wear something like a "tunic", which is like a shirt that comes down almost to the knees.

But that's just me.

Captain Fabulous said:
I wasn't saying you should show genitalia, I'm saying you should make the shirt longer so that the groin is covered up. That's what it looks like to me in Cave Story. I think it will look awkward if all the Mimigas in your movie look like they should have their junk hanging out, but they don't. That's like awkward x 2.
Though, this assumes that Mimigas are anatomically arranged in the same way as humans. While that's likely, it's not certain.

andwhyisit said:
And not all humans at that. Only the Americans and the British, really. Well, others too, but mainly the Americans and the British. Oh, and the Canadians. Mustn't forget them.

Captain Fabulous said:
Humans are also the only sentient species. Coincidence?
Yes, it is a coincidence. As I said above, nudity taboos are not even universal amongst humans.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:06 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
Oh, and the Canadians. Mustn't forget them.
*Streaks by*
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!~

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:10 AM
In front of a computer
Well, I doubt anyone would forget their own country, would they? :D

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:12 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
Well, I doubt anyone would forget their own country, would they? :D

Dropped my hat.